Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BravoZulu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Striker wrote:
MedTech wrote:
BranHam wrote:Going to CTP in Saskatoon Aug 21st for Grande Cache Institution! Excited!

Excellent! At least someone's excited about the prospect of going to Grande Cache! :mrgreen:

It's all in what you make it. A friend of mine transferred out there and he loves it. if he isn't working..he's fishing.

It actually doesn't look like a bad area....... in pictures anyway, and appears to be completely surrounded with wilderness. I'd be 100% good with that if only for the recreational opportunities. One thing I don't like is I think it's a pre-fab town and I haven't been able to find any acreage for sale there.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

BB613
Rookie Member

Postby BB613 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 am

There is plenty of opportunity at GCI, especially if you stay longer than your first year. There are plenty of chances to act in different roles and to be qualified as an instructor in any area you're interested in, though you will be asked to commit to more time before moving on.

If you like the outdoors and make an effort to get involved in the community, you'll do well.

It isn't really "pre-fab" here, but development is limited in town. You really can't buy any property larger than the lot your house sits on in town. It's easy enough to get out and enjoy the area though.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Thatguyswife
Rookie Member

Postby Thatguyswife » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 am

My Husband graduated from core! Drumheller bound the end of August! Our son is very very excited to climb up the giant dinosaurs butt. :D
Thanks to everyone here for being so helpful and answering any and all my questions, you guys have an awesome thing going here. I wish you all the best!

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Thatguyswife wrote:My Husband graduated from core! Drumheller bound the end of August! Our son is very very excited to climb up the giant dinosaurs butt. :D
Thanks to everyone here for being so helpful and answering any and all my questions, you guys have an awesome thing going here. I wish you all the best!

Tell him congrats!! Now the fun begins :alright:
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

hopingwaitingwanting
Rookie Member

Postby hopingwaitingwanting » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:10 pm

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 pm

hopingwaitingwanting wrote:.

Hoping waiting wanting an explanation for that post. :smirk:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 am

got an email to pick my top 3 choices for placement...getting closer now!!!!!...all in prairies region...super pumped!!!!

hopingwaitingwanting
Rookie Member

Postby hopingwaitingwanting » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
hopingwaitingwanting wrote:.

Hoping waiting wanting an explanation for that post. :smirk:

Not sure what happened to my post...geez

I was wondering what the medical entails. I have heard through the grapevine that its a physical and a hearing test. What other tests do they do? Do they do urinalysis or blood work, what about x rays ? My "grapevine" went through CTP in 2010 so not sure if anything has changed since then

Thanks for your help

KG15
Rookie Member

Postby KG15 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Just a quick question to those out there that could maybe help me out.
I received an email asking if I would consider the Prairies/Pacific region now as I was only in the Ontario pool. I have completed stage 1 of CTP back in Jan so I would think that if I do accept it, it could be a fast process??
I guess my question is - where is the best place to live/go?? Having NEVER been out west and not knowing anyone that lives out there it is hard to know where I should be considering (ie: best cost of living, entertainment etc). Any help would be great as I have to let them know by Aug 6th and really want to get input from others that are possibly out west!! THANKS :D

sonikstorm
Rookie Member

Postby sonikstorm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Not sure if they're including BC.
BC doesn't = British Columbia, it = Bring Cash

Stuff is so expensive here, and you'll also find the highest gas prices. cost living is high, rent is ridiculous. Try and go for the Prairies if you can.
Hope it helps!

I've been a BC Resident for all 29 years, I personally can't wait to sell my place and leave!

CJ20
Rookie Member

Postby CJ20 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 pm

KG15 wrote:Just a quick question to those out there that could maybe help me out.
I received an email asking if I would consider the Prairies/Pacific region now as I was only in the Ontario pool. I have completed stage 1 of CTP back in Jan so I would think that if I do accept it, it could be a fast process??
I guess my question is - where is the best place to live/go?? Having NEVER been out west and not knowing anyone that lives out there it is hard to know where I should be considering (ie: best cost of living, entertainment etc). Any help would be great as I have to let them know by Aug 6th and really want to get input from others that are possibly out west!! THANKS :D

Are you getting hired as a CX-1 or as PW?

KG15
Rookie Member

Postby KG15 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 am

I am in the CX-1 pool

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:05 pm

KG15 wrote:Just a quick question to those out there that could maybe help me out.

If you pick the Prairies, you could end up in either MB, SK or AB. I had a few friends from Ontario living here in AB, so at least I had some heads up info. But it really depends on what institution you get posted to. I like it so far out here, people at home try to make it sound like it's uber expensive to live, but it's not all bad. Housing can be pricey depending on location, but Ontario can be like that as well.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:48 am

If you accept a Pacific/Prairie posting it should be faster. With the jails in Ontario shutting down there are too many CO's already for that region. You may/may not wait a long time for a posting in Ontario.

Obviously I'm in BC, which is expensive and would like to move to the Prairies because acreage is obtainable and I don't mind the cold. A good thing about this region is that you could work at every jail, except William Head and never move to another house as they're all within driving distance of each other. Another good thing about here is there's lots of crown land in the mountains surrounding the Fraser valley for hiking, free camping and shooting guns, if any of those are your thing.

Edited to add- I'm an anomaly for wanting to move East. Most people here believe BC is god's hand crafted paradise and that the prairies have nothing because he was too lazy after making BC to do anything.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”