Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
darwin
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby darwin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 pm

No kids, no spouse. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and I'm a big fan this far. She has made it clear recently that she does not want to leave Toronto ( once the job became a reality she realized she did t want.

It's a predicament

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm

darwin wrote:No kids, no spouse. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and I'm a big fan this far. She has made it clear recently that she does not want to leave Toronto ( once the job became a reality she realized she did t want.

It's a predicament

IMHO, A career is huge over one girl. I mean, life come changes and if you plan to get more serious with this girl, who knows what life throws at you. Down the road you might have to move. With Law Enforcement comes change and with change comes moving. You need to find a girl who supports you, comforts you and will be there 100%. I would say go for the career. I did some research and Alberta Corrections is awesome.

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/newerc/pages/Home.htm

ACP64
Rookie Member

Postby ACP64 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Just a few questions as I am new to the CSC process.

I had my interview about a month ago. Just wondering, what are the next steps?

Also, is there some sort of physical abilities test before the Correctional Training Program?

Thanks!

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:32 pm

ACP64 wrote:Just a few questions as I am new to the CSC process.

I had my interview about a month ago. Just wondering, what are the next steps?

Also, is there some sort of physical abilities test before the Correctional Training Program?

Thanks!

I would suggest you go to our website. www.csc-scc.gc.ca

But you will have background investigation coming up, then medical and i think there is a psych evaluation. There use to be physical abilities test but was taken away due to a grievance filed lol. Do not ask and we hope to have one brought back soon.

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 pm

aint coming back until we are no longer part of the public service.Not even being entertained at NHQ

CJ20
Rookie Member

Postby CJ20 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 pm

I see that a few people on here will be starting their CPT's as CX-1's. Any Primary Workers get invited to start CTP as well? Apparently Prairie Region is the only region hiring PW's in the summer.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

darwin wrote:No kids, no spouse. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and I'm a big fan this far. She has made it clear recently that she does not want to leave Toronto ( once the job became a reality she realized she did t want.

It's a predicament

I had two buddies that moved out to Alberta from Ontario for jobs in the social service sector, they both made the leap to Alberta Corrections and love it. Good solid group of people that made them feel really welcome, they made a ton of friends as a result too. One is doing PO stuff and the other has since moved onto be a Sheriff, but if you want a good career GO. You'll find a ton of good looking girls out west, heck odds are you might even find a lonely girl from T.O. that needs comforting :D

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59 am

pdubbu wrote:

It's a predicament

I had two buddies that moved out to Alberta from Ontario for jobs in the social service sector, they both made the leap to Alberta Corrections and love it. Good solid group of people that made them feel really welcome, they made a ton of friends as a result too. One is doing PO stuff and the other has since moved onto be a Sheriff, but if you want a good career GO. You'll find a ton of good looking girls out west, heck odds are you might even find a lonely girl from T.O. that needs comforting :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm

haha, Thanks Fedco and pdubbu,

I will keep this in mind as Im making this decision over the next month.

I have been on FB looking at fun things to do in Edmonton, looks like pubs and bars are in a good state :)

Missfitlissa
Rookie Member

Postby Missfitlissa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 pm

CJ20 wrote:I see that a few people on here will be starting their CPT's as CX-1's. Any Primary Workers get invited to start CTP as well? Apparently Prairie Region is the only region hiring PW's in the summer.

I am wondering this as well.. I had applied only to the Atlantic region for PW, but have been placed in the national pool. I completed stage 1 on June 15 and am taking my medical on the 25th. When I passed, I got an email stating that I wouldn't be invited to stage 2 until they sent and I signed a conditional letter of employment, and they would not be able to tell me where stage 3 was going to be held or for what region. I wasn't sure if that meant in the interim, or if that meant when they sent the offer. So far nothing yet, so, back to hurry up and waiting :)
PW
WPTC- Nov. 3/11- Passed
Interview-Jan. 20/12- Passed
Stage 1 (completed)-June 15/12- Passed
Medical - July 25

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm

darwin wrote:haha, Thanks Fedco and pdubbu,

I have been on FB looking at fun things to do in Edmonton, looks like pubs and bars are in a good state :)

I forgot to mention that you might be able to get seasons tickets to the next Oilers dynasty...hahaha

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Contacted my references last week....

Tough decision to move from Ontario w a home and GF...but Gotta do whats best for the future!!! So if the chance comes, I will prob jump ship
KCCO

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:20 pm

noob01 wrote:Contacted my references last week....

Tough decision to move from Ontario w a home and GF...but Gotta do whats best for the future!!! So if the chance comes, I will prob jump ship

Ya it's hard but a knocking doesn't come around a lot with this. So take the career.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:02 pm

noob01 wrote:Tough decision to move from Ontario w a home and GF...but Gotta do whats best for the future...

Go for it. The girlfriend would probably have ended up owning your house, leaving you alone and broke anyway.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 pm

darwin wrote:haha, Thanks Fedco and pdubbu,

I assume you are being offered full time?? Alberta Corrections have full time and casual staff so if you avent gotten a clear picture get it before you move!!
Coming from a former Alberta Corrections employee before jumping ship to the Feds. Do it!! The new Edmonton Remand Center looks gorgeous!! My plan was if I didn't get with the Feds by this time I was going to head up there! But likely got the call back in Jan for the Feds.
Have any questions about Alberta Corrections just shoot me a PM!
CX