Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 am

Kat wrote:If there is no NEED TO KNOW, why in the unit does it say, the articles will encourage you to access the internet and learn more about ...? So, I was just asking a simple question if later on more training is provided or if it is expected we learn the rest on our own. I will not go into more detail on this, as it is a public forum.

I will forget about asking questions on here and just keep playing the wait and see game and hope I do learn what I need if and when I get this job.

Thank you for your time.

Good luck to everyone going through the process at this time!

Kat,

MedTech and graingirl are right in that the stuff you're going to be tested on is in your course materials. Everything you need for your exams should be there. Researching stuff on the Internet really shouldn't be part of your study materials, as the conflicting information (that you've already found) will just confuse the issue. Focus for now on what's in your materials.

Down the road, when you're on the job, things are a little different. PM me if you need more details.

And please, don't stop asking questions, especially about stuff like this.

Gangs are a big issue for CSC, and if you've watched ANY American TV at all, you'll know just how bad it can get. We're not quite there yet, but as an officer in CSC, this is something you should have an awareness of. Especially in the Prairies and BC region, organized crime is a big thing on the streets, and that plays out inside our walls as well.

You don't need to be an EXPERT on gangs to be a CX...... but you do need to know WHERE to find the answers, to find the people who ARE the experts.

Part of the challenge (and the fun!) of this job is that you're always learning, every single day. You have to be open to actively seeking out and acquiring new knowledge about the various aspects of this job. That curiosity needs to start now (as I think it already has for you), and it's something you need to nurture and continue when you get on the job.

It's certainly not something that's *formally* incorporated into any CSC training per se...... I personally think that continuous learning should be part of every law enforcement officer's career philosophy.

You're a liability, as MedTech said, if you think you know everything about this job. Even senior officers that I work with (the good ones at least ;) ) freely admit that they're still learning about this job, and adapting to it.

As I always tell people, the only constant in CSC is change. Be ready for it, welcome it, and dive into it! :D

(There, can we all play nice in the sandbox now? :drinking: )
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

snick
Rookie Member

Postby snick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 am

I have a question regarding the hiring practices of Corrections Canada. I applied last April 2011 when they posted. I indicated that I was interested in all the Kingston locations and Warkworth. Within 6 months I got a reply acknowleding my interest in Kingston, but offering me an opportunity for Maritimes and out west etc. If I was interested I was to reply. I hadn't replied because I wanted to stay with Kingston. Here's where I got puzzled: I never heard anymore back from them and they've posted two more times since, both with all the Kingston locations?? I guess I just don't know why I haven't heard more back from them considering I was offered Maritimes and out west? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 am

snick wrote:I have a question regarding the hiring practices of Corrections Canada. I applied last April 2011 when they posted. I indicated that I was interested in all the Kingston locations and Warkworth. Within 6 months I got a reply acknowleding my interest in Kingston, but offering me an opportunity for Maritimes and out west etc. If I was interested I was to reply. I hadn't replied because I wanted to stay with Kingston. Here's where I got puzzled: I never heard anymore back from them and they've posted two more times since, both with all the Kingston locations?? I guess I just don't know why I haven't heard more back from them considering I was offered Maritimes and out west? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

As has been previously RECENTLY stated.......

If you see a NEW CX-1 public competitive process being posted online for the regions you're interested in, *AND* you haven't heard back anything from your PREVIOUS competitive process:

ASSUME YOU'VE BEEN SCREENED OUT OF THE PREVIOUS PROCESS. APPLY TO THE NEW ONE.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

See my recent post about the numbers game to understand the above point.

(This is advice directly from one of the Ontario region recruiting officers, so treat it with whatever gravitas you think it deserves.)
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 am

JEM7VWH wrote:Just a bit worried about it is all, my credit cards got up there when I was in University. I guess I really don't know what my credit score is or if I have "good credit." I'm just trying to cover my bases and try and figure out what they are looking for. No worries.

You'll be fine, as long as you've gotten your credit situation in check. They don't want recruits who will become luggers.

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 pm

pdubbu wrote:
JEM7VWH wrote:Just a bit worried about it is all, my credit cards got up there when I was in University. I guess I really don't know what my credit score is or if I have "good credit." I'm just trying to cover my bases and try and figure out what they are looking for. No worries.

You'll be fine, as long as you've gotten your credit situation in check. They don't want recruits who will become luggers.

Alright cool thanks man.
CX-1/Prairies

chandler
Rookie Member

Postby chandler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey,
I see from previous posts that a couple people from Ontario received an invitiation to testing after the pre employment screening. Just wondering if anybody from the Maritimes applied for the last canada wide CSC posting from Dec 28, 2011 and has heard anything after the pre employment screening yet? Thanks

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Striker wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:
BigBuck wrote:In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.
Forget about the Firearms portion. Until you fire for the first time, no real point in throwing out tips.

Just concentrate on getting yourself into training. Then, your online. Then, your stage 2. Then, getting your ass to Stage 3. You're a long way from firearms right now.

That makes me feel sooooooooo much better!! I start CTP Monday and all I have been thinking about is the firearm training, keeps me up at night! I have no training what so ever... I have never held a gun before in my life let alone shot one...
And the whole shotgun thing...I weigh 120lbs hopefully I don't blow away by the recoil!

I've been a firearms instructor with CSC for 12+ years and recruits like you are my absolute favorite people to train.
Females that have never shot a firearm before are extremely easy to train for the most part and usually do extremely well.
This happens for a couple of reasons.
!. As mentioned..you have no bad habits for me to break.
2. you don't have the typical male "I've been shooting guns since I was in diapers and can hit a gnats ass at 2 miles with both eyes closed" ego getting in the way.
Don't get yourself all worked up over the firearms portion.
If you listen to your instructors, do exactly what they say, relax, remember to breath and have fun..you will do great.
Don't doubt yourself..

+1

Having spent a good part of my military career with Cadets, I agree 100%. Nothing like training 12 year olds how to put holes in paper with an FN (back when we had them). On my core, I heard all the same things from my fellow recruits. They all thought I would have it the easiest on the range because of my experience. But I had to explain to them I had to put away most of my previous training aside and learn the CSC way. And explain the exact same thing about them having it easier because they are fresh with no bad habits. We only lost one on the range, compared to most other cores.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Striker wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:
MedTech, Kat is actually a personal friend of mine in the Ontario region, and is currrently doing Stage 1 of CTP.

Kat..you have my deepest sympathies! :smirk:

:lol:
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:52 pm

NatoBro wrote:
Striker wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:
MedTech, Kat is actually a personal friend of mine in the Ontario region, and is currrently doing Stage 1 of CTP.

Kat..you have my deepest sympathies! :smirk:

:lol:

:evil: :swords:

:smirk:

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips! :D :D :D

Cross your fingers for me! I start my journey to Abbotsford tomorrow morning!! Once I finish packing..whenever that will be! It is hard to pack for 2 months of your life into a little suitcase!!
CX

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Melanie1 wrote:Thanks everyone for the tips! :D :D :D

Cross your fingers for me! I start my journey to Abbotsford tomorrow morning!! Once I finish packing..whenever that will be! It is hard to pack for 2 months of your life into a little suitcase!!

**CONGRATULATIONS MELANIE**
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

proudcanuck
Rookie Member

Postby proudcanuck » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:53 pm

MedTech wrote:
Kat wrote:If there is no NEED TO KNOW, why in the unit does it say, the articles will encourage you to access the internet and learn more about ...? So, I was just asking a simple question if later on more training is provided or if it is expected we learn the rest on our own.

Uh... Did I not answer your question? You have no NEED TO KNOW about gangs/organized crime groups as it pertains to CSC at this moment, beyond what you have already learned through your on-line module. Everything you need to know to pass the STAGE 1 exam is provided to you in that module.

Kat wrote:I will not go into more detail on this, as it is a public forum.

Ok... if that's the case then why'd you ask the question in the first place?

Kat wrote:I will forget about asking questions on here and just keep playing the wait and see game and hope I do learn what I need if and when I get this job.

IF you get this job you will be provided with further information and training AS REQUIRED and when YOU HAVE THE NEED TO KNOW.

What is it with applicants and their grandiose "you owe me answers" attitude?

Get one thing through your heads right now, we don't owe you ANYTHING. We answer YOUR questions at OUR pleasure, and after a few hundred pages of the SAME answers, I can tell you that most of our PLEASURES are becoming thin and far less forthcoming. Coupled with the freaking ENTITLEMENT attitude that we keep observing on here, and the INSTANT GRATIFICATION mode that many of you are in, we are less and less likely to to BE helpful... as if we weren't in the past few hundred pages already.

For all of you who feel aggrieved by our meanie attitudes, and feel that you can come into the thread and dictate what happens get one thing through your heads RIGHT NOW.

This is a LAW ENFORCEMENT forum, built by an ex-police officer FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT professionals. It would be interesting to see how useful this thread is if all of the serving officers just pulled plug and watch from the sidelines. What kind of useful info will you have then? Who will you turn to for answers to your questions? I'd LOVE to see the blind leading the blind. I mean if you know it all, freaking pipe up and answer your fellow applicants' questions. When they fail or drown because they got crappy advice from you, stand up and take the blame for speaking when its not your turn.

If you really want one piece of advice for surviving inside the walls here it is:

STFU, Ears and Eyes OPEN. The one who talks the most will drown out the advice and information that people maybe delivering to you. The worst thing you can do is fall inlove with your own damn voice.

Take it or leave it... for those that are already in the process good luck. For those that are doing CTP, STFU, lose the attitude and remain humble. For those that just started on the job, STFU, don't develop an attitude and remain humble... you don't know jack... if you think you do you should quit, because you're a liability.

I'm done with this thread... if I want to deal with entitlement driven, instant gratification, constantly right, and never your fault mentalities... all I have to do is take a walk.

Medtech, I hope you are true to your word, please be done with this thread, your ego is so big you can't fit on this forum anymore, we don't need your help because you don't give any help. The whining and crying is getting to be a bit much, maybe you need to go to your Momma for a hug. The rest of us will do just fine without you. Please please be done with this thread!!!!