Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Kat
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Kat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 am

MedTech wrote:
Kat wrote:I am currently doing the online training portion and was just wondering if down the line you receive more information on gangs? I finished my module on it but was still looking for information. Btw I know I can Google it but I would like proper information and I am finding the sites I am viewing I never know if they are correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need to know about gangs? How is that related to your current status as a Stage 1 recruit?

If you get on the job info will be provided to you withregards to organized crime groups.

Ladies and gents there's no need to share more info on the topic then what i've already said. At this point in time the poster has no NEED TO KNOW.

If there is no NEED TO KNOW, why in the unit does it say, the articles will encourage you to access the internet and learn more about ...? So, I was just asking a simple question if later on more training is provided or if it is expected we learn the rest on our own. I will not go into more detail on this, as it is a public forum.

I will forget about asking questions on here and just keep playing the wait and see game and hope I do learn what I need if and when I get this job.

Thank you for your time.

Good luck to everyone going through the process at this time!

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

BigBuck wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:
BigBuck wrote:In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.
Forget about the Firearms portion. Until you fire for the first time, no real point in throwing out tips.

Just concentrate on getting yourself into training. Then, your online. Then, your stage 2. Then, getting your ass to Stage 3. You're a long way from firearms right now.

That makes me feel sooooooooo much better!! I start CTP Monday and all I have been thinking about is the firearm training, keeps me up at night! I have no training what so ever... I have never held a gun before in my life let alone shot one...
And the whole shotgun thing...I weigh 120lbs hopefully I don't blow away by the recoil!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose sleep over the thought of failing the firearms portion - especially the AR-15 .223. I passed with a 91%. My last qualification I shot 96%. Just listen to the instructors, and you'll do just fine. Really. Just listen to your instructors. I had never handled a firearm either.

Congrats on making it this far - keep this thread updated on your progress!

Buck

For myself i lost alot of sleep during firearms over the Pistol. I had never shot a pistol in my life, however when it came time to testing i struggled with anticipation of the "bang". But day of the testing the pressure was good for me and i nailed all 4 shots i could not get through practice. As others have said listen to the instructors, relax and have fun with it, try not to stress to much and get as much sleep as you can during those weeks. Everyone in my core (20/20) passed all weapons training and only 5 had to retest on the pistol but passed the retest!!

Goodluck with CTP!!
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Kat wrote:
MedTech wrote:
Kat wrote:I am currently doing the online training portion and was just wondering if down the line you receive more information on gangs? I finished my module on it but was still looking for information. Btw I know I can Google it but I would like proper information and I am finding the sites I am viewing I never know if they are correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need to know about gangs? How is that related to your current status as a Stage 1 recruit?

If you get on the job info will be provided to you withregards to organized crime groups.

Ladies and gents there's no need to share more info on the topic then what i've already said. At this point in time the poster has no NEED TO KNOW.

If there is no NEED TO KNOW, why in the unit does it say, the articles will encourage you to access the internet and learn more about ...? So, I was just asking a simple question if later on more training is provided or if it is expected we learn the rest on our own. I will not go into more detail on this, as it is a public forum.

I will forget about asking questions on here and just keep playing the wait and see game and hope I do learn what I need if and when I get this job.

Thank you for your time.

Good luck to everyone going through the process at this time!

Keep in mind that Stage 1 is a base for what you will learn, if you do the online courses and have no problems with the review questions then you will do fine on the test at the end. If you want to know more go for it, however you won't be tested on information that is not in the courses or the links they suggest you to read!! Goodluck.

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Mully wrote:haha... you get'em Buck! :boxer:

P.S. Grad in 9 days! :drinking: :D :alright:

Congrats to you Mully, hope your core are all finishing like my core did in December. Abbotsford has a good training crew :) Goodluck in the prairie region and stay safe!!

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm

For those interested, just got an invite for testing on Feb 13th in Toronto!

Good luck everyone!

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:07 pm

darwin wrote:For those interested, jus

t got an invite for testing on Feb 13th in Toronto!

Good luck everyone!

Best wishes :D

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Kat wrote:If there is no NEED TO KNOW, why in the unit does it say, the articles will encourage you to access the internet and learn more about ...? So, I was just asking a simple question if later on more training is provided or if it is expected we learn the rest on our own.

Uh... Did I not answer your question? You have no NEED TO KNOW about gangs/organized crime groups as it pertains to CSC at this moment, beyond what you have already learned through your on-line module. Everything you need to know to pass the STAGE 1 exam is provided to you in that module.

Kat wrote:I will not go into more detail on this, as it is a public forum.

Ok... if that's the case then why'd you ask the question in the first place?

Kat wrote:I will forget about asking questions on here and just keep playing the wait and see game and hope I do learn what I need if and when I get this job.

IF you get this job you will be provided with further information and training AS REQUIRED and when YOU HAVE THE NEED TO KNOW.

What is it with applicants and their grandiose "you owe me answers" attitude?

Get one thing through your heads right now, we don't owe you ANYTHING. We answer YOUR questions at OUR pleasure, and after a few hundred pages of the SAME answers, I can tell you that most of our PLEASURES are becoming thin and far less forthcoming. Coupled with the freaking ENTITLEMENT attitude that we keep observing on here, and the INSTANT GRATIFICATION mode that many of you are in, we are less and less likely to to BE helpful... as if we weren't in the past few hundred pages already.

For all of you who feel aggrieved by our meanie attitudes, and feel that you can come into the thread and dictate what happens get one thing through your heads RIGHT NOW.

This is a LAW ENFORCEMENT forum, built by an ex-police officer FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT professionals. It would be interesting to see how useful this thread is if all of the serving officers just pulled plug and watch from the sidelines. What kind of useful info will you have then? Who will you turn to for answers to your questions? I'd LOVE to see the blind leading the blind. I mean if you know it all, freaking pipe up and answer your fellow applicants' questions. When they fail or drown because they got crappy advice from you, stand up and take the blame for speaking when its not your turn.

If you really want one piece of advice for surviving inside the walls here it is:

STFU, Ears and Eyes OPEN. The one who talks the most will drown out the advice and information that people maybe delivering to you. The worst thing you can do is fall inlove with your own damn voice.

Take it or leave it... for those that are already in the process good luck. For those that are doing CTP, STFU, lose the attitude and remain humble. For those that just started on the job, STFU, don't develop an attitude and remain humble... you don't know jack... if you think you do you should quit, because you're a liability.

I'm done with this thread... if I want to deal with entitlement driven, instant gratification, constantly right, and never your fault mentalities... all I have to do is take a walk.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Got my E-mail today for my Exams (In-House/GCT/WCPT) !!!
(Canada-Wide December Government Posting)

Good Luck To Everyone Else Going Through The Process!!!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Sorry guys my post posted twice lol

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:24 pm

tbell33 wrote:Got my E-mail today for my Exams (In-House/GCT/WCPT) !!!
(Canada-Wide December Government Posting)

Good Luck To Everyone Else Going Through The Process!!!

Best wishes :D

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:34 pm

darwin wrote:For those interested, just got an invite for testing on Feb 13th in Toronto!

Good luck everyone!

CONGRATS Brother!

See You There!!!

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Hey one quick question for you guys, I read here on the thread that corrections doesn't do a credit check although, it was dated 2008. I know they do some kind of credit check since I checked it off on my "enhanced security reliability screening form." The question to you guys would be how extensive is the credit check? I can't imagine it would be as in depth as RCMP but I noticed it was the same form that I filled out prior for when I applied for the RCMP. Thanks guys.
CX-1/Prairies

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm

JEM7VWH wrote:Hey one quick question for you guys, I read here on the thread that corrections doesn't do a credit check although, it was dated 2008. I know they do some kind of credit check since I checked it off on my "enhanced security reliability screening form." The question to you guys would be how extensive is the credit check? I can't imagine it would be as in depth as RCMP but I noticed it was the same form that I filled out prior for when I applied for the RCMP. Thanks guys.

Not as in depth as the RCMP? A credit check is a credit check.
Why does it matter?

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Just a bit worried about it is all, my credit cards got up there when I was in University. I guess I really don't know what my credit score is or if I have "good credit." I'm just trying to cover my bases and try and figure out what they are looking for. No worries.
CX-1/Prairies

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am

MedTech wrote:

Thanks in advance.

MedTech, Kat is actually a personal friend of mine in the Ontario region, and is currrently doing Stage 1 of CTP.

I read the question to be that Kat was wondering about whether or not gang information is shared "down the line" i.e. on the job.

With this being a public forum, you're right that we don't need to share detailed information on our information-gathering activities, but the general answer we *can* give is that CSC makes use of available gang intelligence, as does any other law enforcement organization, and that information is shared between partner agencies.

Lately our Security Intelligence Officers at our institution have been really good about sharing that kind of information, as they are the subject matter experts on that stuff, and they liaise with police agencies all over the country to stay on top of things.

There's nothing secret about that.

Knowing Kat personally, she was more looking for background information on these kinds of things to satisfy her curiosity (both personal and professional), because as she quite rightly states, there's a lot of information that can't be trusted out on the InterWebs. Has anyone found any reliable gang-related sites out there?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah