Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BigBuck
Veteran Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BigBuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 pm

JEM7VWH wrote:Hey guys new to this board and I'd just like to see if I can get some insight to whereabouts I'm at here in the process. I've already read approximately 200 pages of this thread and haven't come across anything regarding my situation.

I applied for the Aboriginal Correctional Officer Position (It was the last CO posting that I've come across). I think it was in May??

I wrote the *WCPT in *November* 2011.

I can't remember if I received an email before my test or after asking if I was interested in a position in the prairie region which I promptly replied yes to.

I didn't get any results from my test but I had an interview January 19th. At my interview I asked for my marks from my *WCPT but they didn't have them. I guess they look at the test as a pass or fail?

I felt really good about my interview and it sounds like I passed the interview since my employers are saying that they received emails regarding.

I also received an email today saying that I have to go get fingerprinted for my security screening process that will take up to 10-12 weeks to process. Needless to say, I'm getting my prints done tomorrow.

My questions to you guys would be where I'm at here with the process? After all the security screening and reference checks do I start online training? I apologize for the vague dates but I began to give up hope since I wasn't hearing back. Thanks.

Sounds like you're moving through the process quite smoothly, actually. If your references have been contacted, it's likely you did well in your interview. Just keep waiting. These things take time. But, like I said, sounds like you're moving through quite nicely.

Cheers

Buck

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 pm

Awesome! Ok cool so I guess its just the famous line "hurry up and wait" now?

Also I tried to call the Prairie Region Recruiting Office in Saskatoon and left messages and no one calls me back lol. Do they like guys to ask questions via email?

I'm in Winnipeg, will CTP be at Regina Depot or Saskatoon?

One last question lol. When guys are doing the online training, can you still work full time? What do guys usually do? I don't know how heavy the workload with the online training will be.
CX-1/Prairies

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

JEM7VWH wrote:Awesome! Ok cool so I guess its just the famous line "hurry up and wait" now?

Also I tried to call the Prairie Region Recruiting Office in Saskatoon and left messages and no one calls me back lol. Do they like guys to ask questions via email?

I'm in Winnipeg, will CTP be at Regina Depot or Saskatoon?

One last question lol. When guys are doing the online training, can you still work full time? What do guys usually do? I don't know how heavy the workload with the online training will be.

1) Yes, email is usually the best option.
2) CTP can be at any staff college. Prairie seems to usually send classes to Saskatoon, Abbotsford or Kingston.
3) Yes, you can still work full time and complete it. It does take some time, but it is very managable. You have like a month to finish it so there is lots of time to complete it.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Alright awesome! Thanks guys for the quick replies, I really appreciate that.
CX-1/Prairies

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm

One more question, the firearms training, I read in a post that a few people fail on that segment. I grew up in a rural town and shot off various guns, 12 gauges, .22, etc. I was just wondering how intense that part is. The people that fail out are people that have never shot guns before? Its been a long time since I fired a gun (15 YO), and I don't remember being an excellent marksman. Are they looking for sniper shots or what?
CX-1/Prairies

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

JEM7VWH wrote:One more question, the firearms training, I read in a post that a few people fail on that segment. I grew up in a rural town and shot off various guns, 12 gauges, .22, etc. I was just wondering how intense that part is. The people that fail out are people that have never shot guns before? Its been a long time since I fired a gun (15 YO), and I don't remember being an excellent marksman. Are they looking for sniper shots or what?

In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.

Forget about the Firearms portion. Until you fire for the first time, no real point in throwing out tips.

Just concentrate on getting yourself into training. Then, your online. Then, your stage 2. Then, getting your ass to Stage 3. You're a long way from firearms right now.

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

BigBuck wrote:
JEM7VWH wrote:One more question, the firearms training, I read in a post that a few people fail on that segment. I grew up in a rural town and shot off various guns, 12 gauges, .22, etc. I was just wondering how intense that part is. The people that fail out are people that have never shot guns before? Its been a long time since I fired a gun (15 YO), and I don't remember being an excellent marksman. Are they looking for sniper shots or what?

In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.

Forget about the Firearms portion. Until you fire for the first time, no real point in throwing out tips.

Just concentrate on getting yourself into training. Then, your online. Then, your stage 2. Then, getting your ass to Stage 3. You're a long way from firearms right now.

Fair enough, thanks guys.
CX-1/Prairies

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am

Mythos wrote:Well I think I'm out of the race. I had my test on friday and due to crappy conditions I got stuck on my way and missed the appointment. I called the place where was being held and the secretary did know they were even holding the test, but she said she would try to relay my situation to them. I emailed the recruitment email about what happened once I was home but I have yet to get any response. Anyone got any knowledge on how to contact csc recruitment via telephone and see if I can get a definitive answer on if I'm out?

WOW!
We live in Canada, it's winter and driving conditions can be questionable from day to day. It took nine months for my chance at an interview. The day of my interview, I sat nervously in the parking lot for 45 minutes because I showed up early. I nailed the interview, passed CTP without any strikes, and in the end got the job. Reading 200 pages on a forum about CSC has nothing to do with basic time management skills. Applicants, there is a saying in the real world and it's very true:
Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 am

BigBuck wrote:
Mythos wrote:Well I think I'm out of the race. I had my test on friday and due to crappy conditions I got stuck on my way and missed the appointment. I called the place where was being held and the secretary did know they were even holding the test, but she said she would try to relay my situation to them. I emailed the recruitment email about what happened once I was home but I have yet to get any response. Anyone got any knowledge on how to contact csc recruitment via telephone and see if I can get a definitive answer on if I'm out?

. . . . . not to come down on you too hard, but every time I read on these forums 'I missed my testing date' or ' I missed my interview' - I'm shocked. What the hell are you doing that you would miss a date?!?!? Why did you call the place instead of just running in there late? Did you just turn around and go home ?! You figured, 'meh, i'm not gonna make it, guess I'll just go home . . . ' ?!?!?! I'll just make a phone call?!?!?!

Why should we even help you guys on here if you can't even make it to your testing on time (or there at all!) -

You spend a shit ton of time on BL Forums - you have over 50 posts - hell, you've already updated your 'signature' to include that you missed your date - get your ass to your effing interview/test!!!!

. .. FUCK!

When I did my interview back in Oct I almost became one of those types that didn't show for it.
I only had a 3 hour drive to the interview and it was a reasonable time of 1430 and I left around 0800 just to be sure and some how CSC gave me wrong directions to get the interview, no contact phone number I could phone, was sent an e-mail that same morning saying to come in at 1300 instead of 1430, I agreed but no confirming e-mail response. I made it to the city with time to spare yet.. trying to find the damn place took so long I made it to my interview with literally 2 minutes before my appt! And of course to top it off I parked on the opposite side of the building and had to run 2 blocks in heels to get there!

Oh and when I wrote my test we were told to come at 0845 and people were still strolling in after 0900!!!
CX

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:57 am

BigBuck wrote:In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.

That makes me feel sooooooooo much better!! I start CTP Monday and all I have been thinking about is the firearm training, keeps me up at night! I have no training what so ever... I have never held a gun before in my life let alone shot one...
And the whole shotgun thing...I weigh 120lbs hopefully I don't blow away by the recoil!
CX

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 am

Melanie1 wrote:
BigBuck wrote:In my CTP, the people who had never handled a firearm before, did the best. No bad habits.

That makes me feel sooooooooo much better!! I start CTP Monday and all I have been thinking about is the firearm training, keeps me up at night! I have no training what so ever... I have never held a gun before in my life let alone shot one...
And the whole shotgun thing...I weigh 120lbs hopefully I don't blow away by the recoil!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose sleep over the thought of failing the firearms portion - especially the AR-15 .223. I passed with a 91%. My last qualification I shot 96%. Just listen to the instructors, and you'll do just fine. Really. Just listen to your instructors. I had never handled a firearm either.

Congrats on making it this far - keep this thread updated on your progress!

Buck

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:55 am

BigBuck wrote:Just listen to the instructors, and you'll do just fine. Really. Just listen to your instructors. I had never handled a firearm either.

Congrats on making it this far - keep this thread updated on your progress!

Buck

:thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 am

Melanie1 wrote:And the whole shotgun thing...I weigh 120lbs hopefully I don't blow away by the recoil!

One of the women on my CTP was about 5'2" and about the same weight as you. She was LETHAL with the shotgun, and didn't get blown away at all.

As Bucky has already stated, if you listen to the firearms instructors, you'll be fine. I'm 6'4", almost 280, and even I have to lean into the shotgun when taking the shot. It's all part of proper grip and positioning.

You'll be fine! Just enjoy it..... the shotgun is the fun one! :sniper: :pistols:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:34 am

I am currently doing the online training portion and was just wondering if down the line you receive more information on gangs? I finished my module on it but was still looking for information. Btw I know I can Google it but I would like proper information and I am finding the sites I am viewing I never know if they are correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:22 am

Kat wrote:I am currently doing the online training portion and was just wondering if down the line you receive more information on gangs? I finished my module on it but was still looking for information. Btw I know I can Google it but I would like proper information and I am finding the sites I am viewing I never know if they are correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need to know about gangs? How is that related to your current status as a Stage 1 recruit?

If you get on the job info will be provided to you withregards to organized crime groups.

Ladies and gents there's no need to share more info on the topic then what i've already said. At this point in time the poster has no NEED TO KNOW.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER