Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
pdubbu
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 am

proudcanuck wrote:How about just don't answer if you feel it's been asked, someone who has the patience to help us newby's out will answer. You're wasting your time by being snarky and wasting our time by not really answering. Remember what your Mommy said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. :banghead:

Now let's just all play nice in the sand box together. :boxer:

Hey Canuck....how about create a signature like Boudz, and pass the suggestion on to other new recruits so people can glance at it to see where you are in the process.

Problem solved, you can get what you want and the thread won't be clogged up with the "where are you in the process" question; and will save officers who come on here to help recruits some frustration.

Copy and Paste

Applied :
Testing :
Interview :
References :
Medical :
Stage 1 :
Stage 2 :
CTP :

proudcanuck
Rookie Member

Postby proudcanuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 am

pdubbu wrote:
proudcanuck wrote:How about just don't answer if you feel it's been asked, someone who has the patience to help us newby's out will answer. You're wasting your time by being snarky and wasting our time by not really answering. Remember what your Mommy said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. :banghead:

Now let's just all play nice in the sand box together. :boxer:

Hey Canuck....how about create a signature like Boudz, and pass the suggestion on to other new recruits so people can glance at it to see where you are in the process.

Problem solved, you can get what you want and the thread won't be clogged up with the "where are you in the process" question; and will save officers who come on here to help recruits some frustration.

Copy and Paste

Applied :
Testing :
Interview :
References :
Medical :
Stage 1 :
Stage 2 :
CTP :

Thanks for the USEFUL info, appreciate it :D

Mythos
Rookie Member

Postby Mythos » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

Edit. - I got my answer from CSC..

FYI. Was stuck for 4 hours and I left more then twice as early. I can't predict human behaviour (which led me to being dicched). Rather then rant maybe get all the facts rather then bash.
Last edited by Mythos on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA
Interview - Results : FAIL - Re-attempt scheduled for 2016/11/13

CSC
Testing Completed - 2014/09/16 - Awaiting results

ADarkAlley
Rookie Member

Postby ADarkAlley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm

anyone here going to CTP Class 19 in Saskatoon?

Sanz
Rookie Member

Postby Sanz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member but I've been following the forum for about a year (It took me a solid month to go through every page in this and the CBSA thread). I always found it interesting to read the progress of other people so I figured I would tell my own story.
I'm a University graduate with a B.A in Political Science. I currently work as a Student Border Services Officer (I won't say at which airport because I don't want to be recognized). I'm doing Graduate studies right now, but only because I need to remain a full time student to keep my job. I don't plan on finishing.
I became interested in Corrections after I received an email through the Government's Post Secondary Recruitment program about being referred for a position as a CX-2.
I didn't know anything about Corrections and had never considered it as a possible career. I decided to do some research about being a Correctional Officer and found that the idea interested me. I accepted the referral in January of 2011.
In April of 2011 I applied for the CX-1 posting.
In August 2011 I wrote the in-house exam (which I passed) and did the interview for the CX-2 position (which I failed). I had a major problem with one particular part of the interview. You know that moment when you know that you've blown your chance? I had that moment. It was awkward.
I received an email in September of 2011 asking if I was interested in being referred for a position in the Prairie Region as a CX-1. I said I was.
In December of 2011 I re-did the in-house exam (which I passed) and earlier this month I did the interview for the CX-1 position (which I also passed). Corrections Canada contacted my references about 3 days after the interview and I recently received an email asking me to book a medical exam.
My medical is this week and I'm hoping there's a possibility that I'll be starting my online training within the next little while (like in a month or two).

I'm also in the CBSA competition. I applied in April 2011, had already passed my BSOT, did my SLE in August 2011 (didn't get the necessary B in the grammar part even though I'm fluently bilingual), recently did the English-only interview and passed. From what I can understand the applicant pool is huge so I'm concentrating on Corrections.

I'm hoping to get posted in Edmonton, Saskatoon or Winnipeg for University access (I would eventually like to finish my MPP).

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Mythos wrote:Well I think I'm out of the race. I had my test on friday and due to crappy conditions I got stuck on my way and missed the appointment. I called the place where was being held and the secretary did know they were even holding the test, but she said she would try to relay my situation to them. I emailed the recruitment email about what happened once I was home but I have yet to get any response. Anyone got any knowledge on how to contact csc recruitment via telephone and see if I can get a definitive answer on if I'm out?

. . . . . not to come down on you too hard, but every time I read on these forums 'I missed my testing date' or ' I missed my interview' - I'm shocked. What the hell are you doing that you would miss a date?!?!? Why did you call the place instead of just running in there late? Did you just turn around and go home ?! You figured, 'meh, i'm not gonna make it, guess I'll just go home . . . ' ?!?!?! I'll just make a phone call?!?!?!

Why should we even help you guys on here if you can't even make it to your testing on time (or there at all!) -

You spend a shit ton of time on BL Forums - you have over 50 posts - hell, you've already updated your 'signature' to include that you missed your date - get your ass to your effing interview/test!!!!

. .. FUCK!

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:29 pm

BigBuck wrote:. . . . . not to come down on you too hard, but every time I read on these forums 'I missed my testing date' or ' I missed my interview' - I'm shocked. What the hell are you doing that you would miss a date?!?!? Why did you call the place instead of just running in there late? Did you just turn around and go home ?! You figured, 'meh, i'm not gonna make it, guess I'll just go home . . . ' ?!?!?! I'll just make a phone call?!?!?!

Why should we even help you guys on here if you can't even make it to your testing on time (or there at all!) -

You spend a shit ton of time on BL Forums - you have over 50 posts - hell, you've already updated your 'signature' to include that you missed your date - get your ass to your effing interview/test!!!!

. .. FUCK!

Now you've done int BigBuck... you've joined those of us meanies who don't provide useful or constructive feedback...

Naughty, naughty, naughty...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 pm

MedTech wrote:
Here's also the problem with the applicant's ability to READ and RESEARCH. The thing that I had responded with was a little something that I had typed up a while back. Something that I finally decided should be posted, because of the number of people who're displaying the same type of behaviour as the "clients" that we deal with.

INSTANT GRATIFICATION and SELF ENTITLEMENT

Yup!

This thread is starting to get pretty frustrating . . .

Why would we want to help a person who has an atitude to begin with, only in the end for them to BE LATE FOR THEIR EFFING INTERVIEW?!?!?!!!!!

:banghead:

Whatever . .. . .

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Ugh . .

CJ20
Rookie Member

Postby CJ20 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Anybody know how long the Parole Officer training is when hired by Corrections? I applied to the posting but cannot find any information on how long the training is.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm

haha... you get'em Buck! :boxer:

P.S. Grad in 9 days! :drinking: :D :alright:
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Mythos wrote:Well I think I'm out of the race. I had my test on friday and due to crappy conditions I got stuck on my way and missed the appointment. I called the place where was being held and the secretary did know they were even holding the test, but she said she would try to relay my situation to them. I emailed the recruitment email about what happened once I was home but I have yet to get any response. Anyone got any knowledge on how to contact csc recruitment via telephone and see if I can get a definitive answer on if I'm out?

Ontario recruiting? Do you have the name of a particular recruiting officer in your correspondence? PM me with the info, and I'll see if I can hook you up.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 pm

BigBuck wrote:Ugh . .

In his defense, Bucky, the Ontario recruiting department doesn't exactly make it easy to get in touch with them for 'emergency' situations like this.

Benefit of the doubt....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Here's a tid bit of advice that you can use.....when you have something to do the next day (ie. an early shift, interview, testing, etc...) something kind of IMPORTANT, check the forecast the night before and if it's going to be shitty out go to bed early so you can get up early and make it to your testing.

I don't feel bad for Mythos what so ever....there is no excuse for not getting there if you want this career that badly! Maybe if you got your parents to call the recruitment office you might get another shot :lol:

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

Hey guys new to this board and I'd just like to see if I can get some insight to whereabouts I'm at here in the process. I've already read approximately 200 pages of this thread and haven't come across anything regarding my situation.

I applied for the Aboriginal Correctional Officer Position (It was the last CO posting that I've come across). I think it was in May??

I wrote the *WCPT in *November* 2011.

I can't remember if I received an email before my test or after asking if I was interested in a position in the prairie region which I promptly replied yes to.

I didn't get any results from my test but I had an interview January 19th. At my interview I asked for my marks from my *WCPT but they didn't have them. I guess they look at the test as a pass or fail?

I felt really good about my interview and it sounds like I passed the interview since my employers are saying that they received emails regarding.

I also received an email today saying that I have to go get fingerprinted for my security screening process that will take up to 10-12 weeks to process. Needless to say, I'm getting my prints done tomorrow.

My questions to you guys would be where I'm at here with the process? After all the security screening and reference checks do I start online training? I apologize for the vague dates but I began to give up hope since I wasn't hearing back.
Last edited by JEM7VWH on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CX-1/Prairies