Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
NatoBro
Veteran Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NatoBro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Whitebrown wrote:Polish your boots and iron your shirt and pants. None of this steamer crap. Take pride in your uniform.

If we can't have PT or Drill in CTP, I would expect excellent dress and deportment at the very least.

+1 :thumbsup:

That's the plan.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 pm

i have looked at the Fed Govt Jobs website and the application is limited only to members of EE groups. (Aboriginal Members)
I was wondering if one can apply as a Correctional Officer somewhere else. Because it also says that the only work locations offered are in BC.

sephir69
Rookie Member

Postby sephir69 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:56 am

Hi!

I'm currently in the CSC process in Quebec and just did the first part of my medical... of course I picked the place that doesn't do their own TB testing so I was told to go to my local CLSC (free clinic over here in Quebec) which of course is booked for 3 months lol I shelled out the 40 bucks and went to a private clinic but was told the paper given to me from the original government approved medical facility states I have to take the TB test twice. Is that normal for the CSC medical? or is it possible the clinic just gave me some generic form?

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 am

I'm not a doctor, but you probably didn't do too well in the tb test. Happened to me once when I came from vacation, doc booked me for a hospital checkup - which showed everything is ok. Don't worry.

Pilgrim11
Rookie Member

Postby Pilgrim11 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 am

It's normal for them to do the TB tests 2 times. It reduces the chance of error. I had mine done in Montreal in June at a private clinic that the CSC told me to go to, and thats the procedure.

sephir69
Rookie Member

Postby sephir69 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:36 am

Pilgrim11 wrote:It's normal for them to do the TB tests 2 times. It reduces the chance of error. I had mine done in Montreal in June at a private clinic that the CSC told me to go to, and thats the procedure.

Thanks for the info!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:07 am

Striker wrote:
GeeGee wrote:i have looked at the Fed Govt Jobs website and the application is limited only to members of EE groups. (Aboriginal Members)
I was wondering if one can apply as a Correctional Officer somewhere else. Because it also says that the only work locations offered are in BC.

you have to wait until they post looking for CX for other regions...don't worry...it will happen soon enough. Check the website every day...twice a day. When they post a competition..it's usually for 72 hours or so.

Or set up an alert for it?
K division.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:32 am

Whitebrown wrote:Polish your boots and iron your shirt and pants. None of this steamer crap. Take pride in your uniform.

If we can't have PT or Drill in CTP, I would expect excellent dress and deportment at the very least.

Not sure when you went through CTP Whitebrown....but dress and deportment is pretty much out the window until you receive your uniforms (which is 2-3 weeks before grad). In the mean time you wear blue cargo's, black boots, and an old worn out button up blue shirt they loan you. During CTP the only time you really worry about dress and deportment is for grad.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 am

There is public information out there with regards to CTP's running, for those who are waiting according to the schedule there will be 5 CTP's running in the Ontario region with the first being an Oct '11 intake and the last being a March '12 intake.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey everyone. I was invited to ctp recently but I have not been asked to do a medical. Has this happened to anyone? Should I be calling hr to see if this was an oversight. I was also told tb would be done at ctp. Thanks.

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 pm

I would just ask them to make sure, your gonna do it sooner or later :). Better now then during ctp.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:22 pm

pdubbu wrote:There is public information out there with regards to CTP's running, for those who are waiting according to the schedule there will be 5 CTP's running in the Ontario region with the first being an Oct '11 intake and the last being a March '12 intake.

Where is this info found? Thanks.

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Almc wrote:Hey everyone. I was invited to ctp recently but I have not been asked to do a medical. Has this happened to anyone? Should I be calling hr to see if this was an oversight. I was also told tb would be done at ctp. Thanks.

I was invited to CTP before getting information on the Medical. They tried to book me into Health Canada but in the end they could not find a time slot for me so they sent me paperwork to have it completed by my doctor. I was told they will accept you into CTP even if you only did your medical a week before. I had my Medical Sept 15th and start Stage 3 Oct 3rd and the CSC Administration said that it would be plenty of time for Health Canada to verify the information etc. Might be a similar case in your shoes where they have not set up an appt or are still trying. Or you might get the package in the mail. Might be a good idea to check on it once you have started Stage 1 if you have not heard anything etc. Following up never hurts right :)
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 am

pdubbu wrote:

Not sure when you went through CTP Whitebrown....but dress and deportment is pretty much out the window until you receive your uniforms (which is 2-3 weeks before grad). In the mean time you wear blue cargo's, black boots, and an old worn out button up blue shirt they loan you. During CTP the only time you really worry about dress and deportment is for grad.

The CTP Instructors here in the PAC seem to be on the ball with regards to dress and deportment. I don't think the recruits get away with too much. The recruits here also order their uniforms while still on stage 1, or at least the latest CTP recruits were told to get their orders in. Since our uniforms are now provided by Logistik I think they are delivered fairly quickly.Whenever I order my uniforms they take a week or two to arrive, regardless of what I order. I'm guessing this time around they'll be ready for the CTP right away.

BZ

*Edited for grade 3 level grammatical error :(
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”