Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
NatoBro
Veteran Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NatoBro » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:29 pm

smarshall wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/CSCsccEN?feature=mhee Have a look.

Interesting. I've seen the other videos on the CSC website. What really caught my eye were the comments. Might make someone think twice about working with CSC. :ponder:
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

melgirl_89
Rookie Member

Postby melgirl_89 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

FedCO wrote:Yes we get searching gloves, but dont trust any glove to take a needle. When inside dont put your hand where you cannot see it!

The other day at work a co-worker informed me that the gloves we have been issued have failed 3 tests that CSC has done on them to see if they are puncture/slash resistant. We are supposed to be getting issued the "frisk master" gloves, although I wouldn't trust those either. :?
Mel

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:25 am

melgirl_89 wrote:
FedCO wrote:Yes we get searching gloves, but dont trust any glove to take a needle. When inside dont put your hand where you cannot see it!

The other day at work a co-worker informed me that the gloves we have been issued have failed 3 tests that CSC has done on them to see if they are puncture/slash resistant. We are supposed to be getting issued the "frisk master" gloves, although I wouldn't trust those either. :?

Hatch (makers of the frisk master) make a better product than Hanson (the current failing gloves). When I first started in the service four years ago, I was issued a pair of Hatch's. The leather lasted a lot longer on the Hatch's.

This is what you get when PWGSC goes for the lowest bidder every time. They don't give a flyin' f--- about quality or suitability for the job. Which is why our uniforms start fading after three months of washing.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

SupahDuck wrote:
melgirl_89 wrote:

Hatch (makers of the frisk master) make a better product than Hanson (the current failing gloves). When I first started in the service four years ago, I was issued a pair of Hatch's. The leather lasted a lot longer on the Hatch's.

This is what you get when PWGSC goes for the lowest bidder every time. They don't give a flyin' f--- about quality or suitability for the job. Which is why our uniforms start fading after three months of washing.

This is what we need....

Turtle Skins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPo95oTN ... r_embedded

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Striker wrote:
pdubbu wrote:
This is what we need....

Turtle Skins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPo95oTN ... r_embedded

I've been carrying a pair for 2 years after seeing them at SHOT. Our SMO purchased and issued them but a lot of people won't wear them because the palm and finger tips are a bit stiff when you first use them. My only complaint about them is..the lining isn't sewn to the fingers and when your hand is sweaty and you take the glove off..the lining pulls out of the fingers.
I'm waiting to hear from the Canadian distributor about their stab vest...that's next on my list.

striker, what do u think of the top 2 on this link: http://www.safeguardclothing.com/24-covert-vests
Gaoler

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:41 pm

I was told today that my application package was referred to head office. I was told Interview and references were good. I'm hoping this means I'll get an invite to start online training. Any thoughts on why I wouldn't? I'm very excited but I don't want to get too happy before the offer comes in.

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I was told also today that my interview / reference checks / and background check where successful and that I am in a pool of qualified candidates awaiting a training course. This made my day!

FrankCastle
Rookie Member

Postby FrankCastle » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 am

One of the first things I bought when I got on the job was a much better pair of search gloves. The pair they supply you don't provide very good bloodbourne pathogen protection and they don't allow for easy finger dexterity. (try writing with them on, it'll look like you're writing at a kindergarten level.

I got a great pair of hatch gloves (sgk100 i think.) But those turtle skin gloves look impressive...

Pilgrim11
Rookie Member

Postby Pilgrim11 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Just wondering if there is anyone online who has been accepted to the Online Training next week? If I get through that then I understand it's a Nov start for the classroom training.

krandhawa81
Rookie Member

Postby krandhawa81 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Anyone in the Ontario region still waiting for a interview

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Are you telling me that csc doesn't supply you with vests?!

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 pm

0010010 wrote:Are you telling me that csc doesn't supply you with vests?!

No, they do.

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:29 am

Ooohh ok. So they are just crap...just like the gloves? Lol