Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 am

SupahDuck wrote:
Gaoler wrote:
mtlch wrote:Hi everybody !!! Got a call from the recruiter this morning !!! Got an invite for PFC # 125 (Quebec region) !!!! SOOOO stocked !!! Starts september 19 ! Just can't wait !!

Good luck to everybody else !! :)

hi mtlch, what's pfc?

Probably the French equivalent of CTP, although I don't know what the acronym stands for.......

*searches CSC Infonet*

Aaaaah yes.... "Programme de formation correctionnelle" :thumbsup:

thx supah, btw, got my msg? check ur pm
Gaoler

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:05 am

ProudCanadian wrote:Hey everyone. I've been reading through the pages and Ive collected some valuble info, this site is great. I just started school today, I am taking a community and justice service course that will allow me to do a 4 month placement in a correctional institution, a long with many trips to various institutes for tours and interviews with inmates. on top of that I plan of joining a reserve infantry unit near my school. if everything works out, will this be enough to get my foot in the door of corrections? or should i be shooting a little higher?? Thanks for any info/ advice you pro's can give me! :D (my great uncle was a CX so maybe its in my blood ;) )

I'd put more stock into the infantry unit than I would your school program. That being said, a couple officers on my crew did practicums in institutions, albeit they did their work with IPOs (institutional parole officers) and in administration. How long is the program? IMO, having at least two years of post-secondaryis a good thing to have.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 am

FedCO wrote:
Striker wrote:
Slo wrote:I'm in the same boat. Last step I did was fingerprinting and that was about 6 weeks ago. Guard doing it said it takes (on average) 7 weeks, there was also a Postal strike going on when I was doing this so there was likely a backlog.

Waiting stinks....but yeah...I get it (please don't say that hurry up saying again.....please! :(( )

Oh...and the way the Doc explained it to me is that no matter how well I did and how well he thought I did....he couldn't say that I "passed". Said that isn't up to him...he told me what he would tell CSC....but the Pass/Fail was not his decision to make.

If you make it on CORE..don't refer to us as "guards"... ;)

Thanks Striker. I was going to say something, but you caught that! We are Correctional Officers - Leave Guard at the door!

Believe me...I know that. But...it WAS a GUARD that did the fingerprinting. A Commissionaire to be exact. I cringe when people use that term as well...

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 am

Whitebrown wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Hey everyone. I've been reading through the pages and Ive collected some valuble info, this site is great. I just started school today, I am taking a community and justice service course that will allow me to do a 4 month placement in a correctional institution, a long with many trips to various institutes for tours and interviews with inmates. on top of that I plan of joining a reserve infantry unit near my school. if everything works out, will this be enough to get my foot in the door of corrections? or should i be shooting a little higher?? Thanks for any info/ advice you pro's can give me! :D (my great uncle was a CX so maybe its in my blood ;) )

I'd put more stock into the infantry unit than I would your school program. That being said, a couple officers on my crew did practicums in institutions, albeit they did their work with IPOs (institutional parole officers) and in administration. How long is the program? IMO, having at least two years of post-secondaryis a good thing to have.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you "Whitebrown", college course is much more hands on than helping out PO's and Admin. When I did placement at a Federal institution I shadowed a COII, I was in the units and spent an afternoon or morning in practically every post of the Institution. I was even lucky enough to participate in SCBA training, watched a few team extraction video's, and might have even gone to the range to fire a gun or two ;)

I am sure the reserve infantry unit will offer "ProudCanadian" some valuable experience with self control, discipline, team, and weapons training. He'll be way further ahead of most for having both experience/training though.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:23 am

pdubbu wrote:I am sure the reserve infantry unit will offer "ProudCanadian" some valuable experience with self control, discipline, team, and weapons training. He'll be way further ahead of most for having both experience/training though.

Not really. The weapons training would be lightyears ahead of what's being taught in the CSC, so it'll be deemed as null-en-void. The discipline, team work concept will also be deemed as too militaristic and LE oriented, and thus tossed out as well.

If he really needs a leg up on how to complete CORE, he should go to McD or TH and learn customer service skills, because that's what we need MOST in our line of work no? 88)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all serious ProudCanadian, while being a 031 would be all cool and stuff... you'll soon realize the novelty of sleeping in mud... again, and again, and again soon wears off quick. Look into some trade MOCs, as such skills will offer you way more in life than Platoon, Advance to Contact... again and agian and again...

As I said many times as a CF recruiter... everyone does infantry stuff, infantry just does it more... and... there's really no applicable skill transfer between infantry and civi world. Just saying...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks everyone for replying, really appreciate it. I'd just like to point out that im not just doing the reserves for an adavantage with corrections, its something that I've always wanted to do. I do believe it will help (not saying its the only thing i need on my resume to get hired) because of the team work, hand to hand combat training and the weapons training. I have already taken numerous customer service courses with my time at the ministry of rev and a lot of my previous jobs consisted of serving customers, and I really enjoyed it. And I plan to continue developing my customer service skills over the next couple years, cause I do understand a big part of the job is talking and communicating effectively with the inmates. Once again thanks for replying, any other advice/suggestions you may have for me I am all ears!! Oh one more question actually...I have my RPAL and hunting license, will that be a little advantage because I have a better understand of firearm safety and firearm handling and shooting?? Im sure you guys know how stupid people can be with firearms when they havent been trained at all...i know ive seen some guys do some stupid, stupid things..

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 am

one more question actually haha, you guys may find this silly, but are you allowed to wear gloves on the job? other than those rubber gloves? If there is one thing that scares me about working in a prison its pricking my finger on a dirty needle or something else that is infected. Its ok to laugh at me..lol thanks for any info though!

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 am

Anything you know about firearms just put it on hold while you go through training. IF you go through training.

There is no Use of Force training for the Reserve world. It is a RegF skill taught at Battle School.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm

MedTech wrote:Anything you know about firearms just put it on hold while you go through training. IF you go through training.

There is no Use of Force training for the Reserve world. It is a RegF skill taught at Battle School.

Gotcha. I will have to speak to my friend who was in the reserves again to get more info

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Striker wrote:and you have a problem with sleeping in the mud, standing in a hole in the ground at o:dark thirty, pulling pole, strapping on the ole snow shoes and bugging out at 2am?
As for transferable skills..self discipline, initiative and the ability to think on your own come to mind..oh ya..and the ability to march. :mrgreen:

I did :D thats why I was a Medic. I only had to do it SOME of the time while attached to you 03duh's :mrgreen:
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Striker wrote:
MedTech wrote:
In all serious ProudCanadian, while being a 031 would be all cool and stuff... you'll soon realize the novelty of sleeping in mud... again, and again, and again soon wears off quick. Look into some trade MOCs, as such skills will offer you way more in life than Platoon, Advance to Contact... again and agian and again...

As I said many times as a CF recruiter... everyone does infantry stuff, infantry just does it more... and... there's really no applicable skill transfer between infantry and civi world. Just saying...

and you have a problem with sleeping in the mud, standing in a hole in the ground at o:dark thirty, pulling pole, strapping on the ole snow shoes and bugging out at 2am?
As for transferable skills..self discipline, initiative and the ability to think on your own come to mind..oh ya..and the ability to march. :mrgreen:

In all honesty, that sounds like an experience id love to be apart of. Im a sucker for punishment as it is, to take alittle pain for my country will be a delight :) Only thing i can say i wont enjoy is running lol i hate running, its so damn boring

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:In all honesty, that sounds like an experience id love to be apart of. Im a sucker for punishment as it is, to take alittle pain for my country will be a delight :) Only thing i can say i wont enjoy is running lol i hate running, its so damn boring

Then any of the combat arms aren't for you. All they do is take long walks in the woods... or sprinting... or dodgint... or falling into tank ruts....
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 pm

MedTech wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:In all honesty, that sounds like an experience id love to be apart of. Im a sucker for punishment as it is, to take alittle pain for my country will be a delight :) Only thing i can say i wont enjoy is running lol i hate running, its so damn boring

Then any of the combat arms aren't for you. All they do is take long walks in the woods... or sprinting... or dodgint... or falling into tank ruts....

Well I could get used to it and handle it, i used to be a long distance runner, and i looove long hikes. Hiked 20 km through the rockies by myself last year..one of the best times of my life. All i was stating was I dont find it enjoyable, not that i cant run

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:
MedTech wrote:

Well I could get used to it and handle it, i used to be a long distance runner, and i looove long hikes. Hiked 20 km through the rockies by myself last year..one of the best times of my life. All i was stating was I dont find it enjoyable, not that i cant run

Yes we get searching gloves, but dont trust any glove to take a needle. When inside dont put your hand where you cannot see it!