Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Gaoler, let me be clear..... I feel the EE system as it's currently implemented in the Federal Public Service is completely broken, because it emphasizes the quotas over everything else. Merit, skill and performance don't even enter into the equation, which is wrong.

And this is happening not only in the public-facing CX-1 competitions that many are in the process of doing, but also for any other internal competitions after you get hired. So someone fresh off the street who meets EE criteria will get the job over someone who has lots of experience and wisdom about the job, simply because a senior manager wants brownie points from his boss, not because that senior manager wants to run an effective and experienced organization.

I don't agree with EE, because it's not achieving its stated purpose, for one, and secondly because it's actually harming the safety and security of the institution by not promoting / encouraging the most competent and experienced officers to positions of authority and mentoring.

The pendulum has swung way too far in the wrong direction, and I state that as a member of one of the EE groups.

hi supah, thx...........perhaps it's just different from the outside looking in. maybe once i get in, this would offer a different perspective. thx
Gaoler

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Darkhare wrote:The sarcastic replies in this thread are starting to get old.

<snipped the excellent advice about running / training>

Some agencies provide full gyms for staff to maintain fitness...Some as well don't have issues with social networking sites within reason. These questions aren't totally out of the blue and the negative sarcastic comments just turn this from a helpful learning tool into a ---- measuring contest. :crazy:

Since the question was asked in the CSC thread, the reality is that nearly all institutions do NOT have full gyms for staff. KP, for example, donated the space for a staff gym, but all of the staff unions had to pony up for the equipment. That was all done at the local institutional level. I would operate on the assumption that the institution you get placed to will have no equipment, until you find out otherwise. That's just the fiscal reality of CSC. You'll find a lot of staff members also have memberships at private gyms in the community, they just use the staff gym at the joint for lunch-break workouts.

Social networking? Speaking as a former IT nerd, the fact that nearly EVERY ONE of my co-workers that I have friended on Facebook do NOT mention the fact that they work for CSC, well, that should tell you something.

If you work in CSC as a CX for any length of time, your name will be researched on Facebook by the criminal element, and the information on your page used against you. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to secure your Facebook profile, and restrict it to Friends only...... If you are an Applicant for a Law Enforcement Job (CSC included), it would be a best practice to start securing these things now.

I think part of MedTech's frustrations (the source for the sarcasm) is the fact that these questions have all been asked a hundred times over, not only in this specific thread, but in all the public areas of the BlueLine forums. Put a little effort into researching the answers.... they're all here! Trust me, you'll need the same search/detective skills on the job as well, because no-one's going to be there to spoon-feed you the answers when you're alone on your first post. Learning is an ongoing part of the job, you'd better get good at it.

And some of the questions, such as the social networking one, well, that one should be obvious to someone considering a Law Enforcement career. Pictures of you chugging back a keg of your favourite lager aren't appropriate anymore. :drinking:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:05 am

Well no kidding (to the social networking). You're a fool if you think putting your real job title is a good idea. (that would make anything said on your profile a representation of the employer..)

Yes this is a CSC thread, but remember most people posting are coming from other agencies and applying to CSC. The only knowledge they have is with agencies OTHER than CSC. Some agencies look past people using social networking WHILE AT WORK. Some provide gyms for post shift workouts and what not... Hence why the sarcasm is really uncalled for. I bet there is tonnes of information in this 277page thread but reading back the last 7 pages I saw alot of bickering and rude replies... gets hard to sift through... just saying. :)

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 am

Darkhare wrote:Well no kidding (to the social networking). You're a fool if you think putting your real job title is a good idea. (that would make anything said on your profile a representation of the employer..)

Yes this is a CSC thread, but remember most people posting are coming from other agencies and applying to CSC. The only knowledge they have is with agencies OTHER than CSC. Some agencies look past people using social networking WHILE AT WORK. Some provide gyms for post shift workouts and what not... Hence why the sarcasm is really uncalled for. I bet there is tonnes of information in this 277page thread but reading back the last 7 pages I saw alot of bickering and rude replies... gets hard to sift through... just saying. :)

I agree...but I appreciate the information enough that I really don't care what form it comes in, sarcastic/insulting/whatever. Info is info.

As far as Social Networking goes....do people really still put their actual Employer on their Facebook page? Heck...I know people that have....how should I put this....dime-a-dozen type jobs and they STILL won't put their employer on their page and often they alter their name enough and choose profile pics carefully so a search for them won't be an easy one. This is ON TOP of using Facebook's ample privacy settings to restrict who can see what.

If/when hired I won't be mentioning who I work for or where I work at all on any website that has my real name attached to it. There is zero benefit to that. Just look at this site....I don't see any real names used.

I'll have to re-read his post...but I thought the workout and social-networking questions were about being at CTP...having access to a gym and using Facebook while there. I didn't get the impression it was being asked about using Facebook on the job or having access to a gym at the institution. The social-networking seemed to be asking if it is frowned upon to even use it at all...or if it is acceptable but to use discretion in posting questionable stuff while also displaying that you work for CSC. Which really....should be obvious. I can't imagine an employer exists that would even hint that they expect their employees to refrain from using social-networking sites completely. That would just be absurd.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:48 am

Well, you can't access Google+, Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, Youtube, Tumblr or any of the other "social" sites from the CSC network.

And you should also remember that nearly all of the information we deal with on a daily basis is Protected "B", which means you can't even make passing reference to it in your Facebook status.

Keep work at work. Most of my Facebook co-workers have absolutely NOTHING that would identify them as CSC CX's, no pictures in uniform, no reference to the institution we work at or our job titles.

Just family pictures, and links to friends (many of whom are also CX's but we all follow the same rules).

We all already know that we're in the Service, there's no need to promote it to the entire world.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

J_Brian
Rookie Member

Postby J_Brian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 am

I have been told how to work out, what types of workouts are best, why changing my job status to CSC is a bad idea, that I shouldn't use Facebook while working in the Institution, that none of the institutions have gyms, that I need to sharpen my detective skills (Of course I do, doesn't anyone?) and also that the road is free to run on... :D

Thanks! But...

J_Brian wrote:Saskatoon in particular. Also what kind of equipment? Weight training, heavy bags, treadmills? Anything like that?

J_Brian wrote:Just wondering what kind of personal pt equipment is provided.

J_Brian wrote:Also given nature of employment, things like social networking sites... Frowned upon? Instructed to use more discretion?

J_Brian wrote:Answers I'm sure I'll get sooner or later just figured id ask.

I appreciate all the advice, I know it's hard to tell over a online public forum through text but I'm not an idiot despite what some have said. I didn't ask any of the questions answered, all I wanted to know was is there somewhere at the SASKATOON training facility where recruits, staff, whoever can work out... That's all.

I asked about social networking sites, I didn't say I was going to post pictures of myself in uniform, or show up to work and update my status... Really?

This shouldn't of turned into a bitchfest... over what? I was told to sharpen my detective skills which is okay, I'm sure even the best detectives could always be a little sharper. But this entire argument started from nothing? Who needs the sharpener? (Not implying anyone in particular)

I've got my answers. The CSC provides nothing for pt, and while "detecting" i also noticed someone ask if pt was even part of CTP... which it turns out it is NOT.

As far as the social networking goes... I have Facebook. I don't use my name, you couldn't find me if you knew the name I use. You couldn't find me through a friend. I have it set so I have to add the friend, I have close friends and family on there. All that goes without saying. I was asking about the discretion, because I am proud of myself for getting into CTP why not, I'm not in yet I understand that. It's also something that I would like my "SMALL & CONTROLLED" network of family and friends to know, i'm not even talking "I GOT INTO CORRECTIONS TRAINING!!!" But... "Took long, and a long road ahead. But my foots in the door!" My close friends could decipher what that meant.

I wanted to know if hinting in any way, shape, or form of any involvement with CSC regardless of the use of any actual terms was forbidden. That's all. I work for a "courier of money" sadly it's true... I could put on Facebook "Carrying 6 million today, to the TD on Main St." or take a picture of myself in full uniform and put it as my profile picture. No one would think anything of it. (I would NEVER do this btw) My point... different companies have different policies.

and I have searched in several ways whether there was equipment provided for "fitness" while on CTP. Didn't find any answers, which is why I asked.

I have also searched CSC's policies on social networking sites on this forum. Again found no answers, which is why I asked.

J_Brian wrote:I wanted to know if hinting in any way, shape, or form of any involvement with CSC regardless of the use of any actual terms was forbidden.
Just making sure.

And half the people chewing ME out (or the fabricated "dumb" questions) are also applicants, recruits... When I found out I got into CTP, i didn't think all of a sudden my shit didn't stink, so what happened to some of you? As an applicant I know what i don't know and that's the policies of CSC. Which means you don't either... so if you are an applicant, or awaiting whatever your waiting on why are you even chiming in? You don't know. For all you know they have Facebook event pages for yard work... Put your hands in your pocket and wait by your email.

Thanks for the helpful advice some have given. It truly is appreciated.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:47 am

J_Brian wrote:And half the people chewing ME out (or the fabricated "dumb" questions) are also applicants, recruits... When I found out I got into CTP, i didn't think all of a sudden my shit didn't stink, so what happened to some of you? As an applicant I know what i don't know and that's the policies of CSC. Which means you don't either... so if you are an applicant, or awaiting whatever your waiting on why are you even chiming in? You don't know. For all you know they have Facebook event pages for yard work... Put your hands in your pocket and wait by your email.

Funny... does it really take one of you to spell it out this clearly for the rest? J_Brian's above quote is what many of us who are WORKING as COs have been politely trying to, albeit, failing miserably to tell you. Perhaps we should just start addressing you people like the "clients" we deal with everyday at work, since they just happen to be as entitled, and needy for instant gratification as some of you appear to be.

J_Brian wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice some have given. It truly is appreciated.

And we try to be as often as we can. For those of you who have whined about how insulting and mean I've been, go back and read the pages. For the one that said that you read through 7 pages and it was filled with blah blah blah, read through the rest.

See how many times we're asked the same stupid fracking question about the same fracking thing. Something that was answered a few pages ago, are rehashed and reasked time and time again. Those of us who frequent here as CO's with CSC (pdubu, FedCO, Federal CO, Supah Duck, smarshall, etc etc) who have been answering the same questions endlessly, and to share our experiences with YOU APPLICANTS and RECRUITS do it at our pleasure and expense. So when we're insulted trying to help, or have to answer the same damn question over and over again, I think we all express our DISPLEASURES.

You feel like you're ENTITLED to answers and ENTITLED to respect, when you yourselves have not shown any perceptible apptitude to being our equals. Complaining about researching, complaining about people being mean (really?! Get real, you're going into a job that's worse then this entire 'nasty' little thread has to offer... unbelievable), whinning when your question isn't answered to your satisfaction. Let me put it to you this way, YOU HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.

Let this be a warning to those of you who thinks your posts on here don't follow you. Recently we had a CORE graduate in my region, where a new recruit posted something inflamatory about their CORE class and CSC's training standards. This (now officer) then recruit was from another agency previously, and spoke negatively of the training provided. We know who this officer is. This officer IS KNOWN... although they have proven themselves... they are KNOWN. Those of you who think you know it all? We'll see.

As one of my CTP instructors put it nicely on my grad. "You have never worked for CSC, you have no experience with this service. You may have other previous service and experience which would aid you in your career, but you have no service with CSC. You don't know anything about us, so when you start your job, keep your mouths shut, ears and eye balls OPEN."

Up to you.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 pm

To second MedTech's comments.....

We are not trying to be antagonistic, nor are we trying to be condescending.

*ALL* of us are attempting to provide you with information about CSC and its recruitment process, and ultimately the job, in order that you may have a better understanding of this career choice.

We are not paid to do this, and we certainly don't expect anything for it, other than a modicum of respect.

When criticism is offered, take a minute and look at why it's being offered: look at the tone of your response, or the content of your original question. We are not the kind of people to attack you personally, and nothing we say is meant in that light.

Perhaps if your question is not garnering the required answer, try restating it a bit more clearly, to avoid misunderstanding (it happens all too frequently in these forums).

Federal Corrections is a world unto itself, and even if you have experience in Provincial Corrections, you're going to be starting from scratch in most respects.

We welcome everyone's experiences and insights, and are more than willing to share ours with all of you. Please keep that in mind when posting your questions and responses..... :thumbsup:

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:46 pm

MedTech wrote:
J_Brian wrote:And half the people chewing ME out (or the fabricated "dumb" questions) are also applicants, recruits... When I found out I got into CTP, i didn't think all of a sudden my shit didn't stink, so what happened to some of you? As an applicant I know what i don't know and that's the policies of CSC. Which means you don't either... so if you are an applicant, or awaiting whatever your waiting on why are you even chiming in? You don't know. For all you know they have Facebook event pages for yard work... Put your hands in your pocket and wait by your email.

Funny... does it really take one of you to spell it out this clearly for the rest? J_Brian's above quote is what many of us who are WORKING as COs have been politely trying to, albeit, failing miserably to tell you. Perhaps we should just start addressing you people like the "clients" we deal with everyday at work, since they just happen to be as entitled, and needy for instant gratification as some of you appear to be.

J_Brian wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice some have given. It truly is appreciated.

And we try to be as often as we can. For those of you who have whined about how insulting and mean I've been, go back and read the pages. For the one that said that you read through 7 pages and it was filled with blah blah blah, read through the rest.

See how many times we're asked the same stupid fracking question about the same fracking thing. Something that was answered a few pages ago, are rehashed and reasked time and time again. Those of us who frequent here as CO's with CSC (pdubu, FedCO, Federal CO, Supah Duck, smarshall, etc etc) who have been answering the same questions endlessly, and to share our experiences with YOU APPLICANTS and RECRUITS do it at our pleasure and expense. So when we're insulted trying to help, or have to answer the same damn question over and over again, I think we all express our DISPLEASURES.

You feel like you're ENTITLED to answers and ENTITLED to respect, when you yourselves have not shown any perceptible apptitude to being our equals. Complaining about researching, complaining about people being mean (really?! Get real, you're going into a job that's worse then this entire 'nasty' little thread has to offer... unbelievable), whinning when your question isn't answered to your satisfaction. Let me put it to you this way, YOU HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.

Let this be a warning to those of you who thinks your posts on here don't follow you. Recently we had a CORE graduate in my region, where a new recruit posted something inflamatory about their CORE class and CSC's training standards. This (now officer) then recruit was from another agency previously, and spoke negatively of the training provided. We know who this officer is. This officer IS KNOWN... although they have proven themselves... they are KNOWN. Those of you who think you know it all? We'll see.

As one of my CTP instructors put it nicely on my grad. "You have never worked for CSC, you have no experience with this service. You may have other previous service and experience which would aid you in your career, but you have no service with CSC. You don't know anything about us, so when you start your job, keep your mouths shut, ears and eye balls OPEN."

Up to you.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! You've literally listed every reason as to why I usually ignore this thread. :twitch:

illsmashup
Rookie Member

Postby illsmashup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:34 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Well, you can't access Google+, Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, Youtube, Tumblr or any of the other "social" sites from the CSC network.

And you should also remember that nearly all of the information we deal with on a daily basis is Protected "B", which means you can't even make passing reference to it in your Facebook status.

Keep work at work. Most of my Facebook co-workers have absolutely NOTHING that would identify them as CSC CX's, no pictures in uniform, no reference to the institution we work at or our job titles.

Just family pictures, and links to friends (many of whom are also CX's but we all follow the same rules).

We all already know that we're in the Service, there's no need to promote it to the entire world.

You can access Twitter! lol

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:39 pm

illsmashup wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:Well, you can't access Google+, Facebook, MySpace, Flickr, Youtube, Tumblr or any of the other "social" sites from the CSC network.

You can access Twitter! lol

Notice how I left Twitter out of that list! It seems that Don Head has suddenly discovered the power of Web 2.0 through his Crackberry. Not sure of the business value of 140-character text messages, but hey, it's a start!

At least CSC is recognizing the pervasiveness of Web technologies in the social space, and is providing guidance to staff on their appropriate use, rather than remaining mum on the subject.

Their last communique actually got into quite a bit of detail on the various social platforms, and what is considered appropriate and secure from a work standpoint.

Obviously can't share that document here, as it's for staff only, but having worked Informatics (IT) in CSC before becoming a CX, I was pleasantly suprised at the document's thoroughness and detail.

Kleafloor
Rookie Member

Postby Kleafloor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 pm

How utterly embarrassing...
All of our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Kleafloor wrote:How utterly embarrassing...

For what? Me needing a hug? :smirk:
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER