Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
pdubbu
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Gaoler wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Prairie_candidate wrote:Are there any Native CXs here? Does the process differ for Native candidates? (I was exempt from writing the English test because of my status) what are working conditions like for Native CXs? Do they work with "white and other" CXs or are they assigned to Healing Lodges?
thanks! :)

Why? do you want special treament because of your status? Working conditions are the same for all officers. Black white chinese native. All human beings and all correctional officers.

I do not agree with the standards being different based on the colour of your skins. Everyone should be equal. Candacy should be based on marrit not origin.

You should not have an advantage nor disadvantage. I am disappointed you were not required to write the english test like everyone else. That is not something to be proud of.

Positions like this need to be earned not handed out.

hi all, i am not first nations myself and i think that most of us reasonable folks all expect the hiring to be based on merit. however, i do think that the first nations status and other employment equity should be taken into consideration during hiring. as for the english test, i agree that no matter what status one has or doesn't have.......u gotta write it like everyone else.

Get real....give 3 good reasons for employment equity in this day and age especially in this field?

Why does someone other than a white male deserve a job over a white male based on skin colour and/or sex?

ismailbawa
Rookie Member

Postby ismailbawa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:36 pm

pdubbu wrote:
ismailbawa wrote:can someone tell whats stage 2 training?????????

It's where they make sure you're smart enough to do your own research about all of the different stages of CTP!

Thank you

ismailbawa
Rookie Member

Postby ismailbawa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

ismailbawa wrote:
pdubbu wrote:
ismailbawa wrote:can someone tell whats stage 2 training?????????

It's where they make sure you're smart enough to do your own research about all of the different stages of CTP!

I do no what it is now

Thank you agian

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I was recently rear ended in a car accident, still off work because it is physical lifting that i do. Doc is hoping i am fully recovered by September and i am crossing my fingers too. I have just been invited to CTP and have yet to complete my medical. So my question to you all is ....

Has anyone completed the medical for CX 1 that has been in a car accident and had injuries to their neck and back and passed the medical? I am worried now that my medical will reject me due to previous injuries.
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

Cantsing
Rookie Member

Postby Cantsing » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Get real....give 3 good reasons for employment equity in this day and age especially in this field?

Why does someone other than a white male deserve a job over a white male based on skin colour and/or sex?

Diversity

CSC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that is reflective of Canadian society. We encourage all ethnicities, cultures, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities to seek employment as a Correctional Officer.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Cantsing wrote:

Diversity

CSC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that is reflective of Canadian society. We encourage all ethnicities, cultures, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities to seek employment as a Correctional Officer.

Are you a recruit or an Officer Cantsing?

Let me re-phrase this....
Why does someone deserve a job over a white male based on skin colour and/or sex even though they have the exact qualification, experiences, etc...

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 pm

pdubbu wrote:
Gaoler wrote:
Apollo wrote:Why? do you want special treament because of your status? Working conditions are the same for all officers. Black white chinese native. All human beings and all correctional officers.

I do not agree with the standards being different based on the colour of your skins. Everyone should be equal. Candacy should be based on marrit not origin.

You should not have an advantage nor disadvantage. I am disappointed you were not required to write the english test like everyone else. That is not something to be proud of.

Positions like this need to be earned not handed out.

hi all, i am not first nations myself and i think that most of us reasonable folks all expect the hiring to be based on merit. however, i do think that the first nations status and other employment equity should be taken into consideration during hiring. as for the english test, i agree that no matter what status one has or doesn't have.......u gotta write it like everyone else.

Kids kids kids. :shame:

You're forgetting that this is the federal public service. Employment equity, however distasteful, is a reality of the federal hiring process, warts and all.

Managers get brownie points for adhering to EE guidelines when hiring from candidate pools, so even though the pool may be comprised of a diversity of candidates, all equally skilled and able to do the job, it will be the females, visible minorities and other EE groups that get priority.

Think it's unfair? It sure as hell is, because it completely negates any possibility of merit and performance being the primary reasons someone gets the job.

I should know, having been involved personally in a rather messy EE hiring debacle at our institution, the effects of which are still being felt. There's no quicker way for management to poison the work environment and cause rifts between officers than to pass over senior experienced officers simply so they can get the EE brownie points. :banghead:
Last edited by SupahDuck on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

And for the record, CSC is pretty representative when it comes to the composition of its workforce....

From the Treasury Board Canada website, for 2008: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rp/0608ee06-eng.asp

Correctional Service Canada (includes all non-security occupational groups)

# Employees: 15,163
# Women: 6,930 (45.7%)
# Aboriginal Peoples: 1,128 (7.4%)
# Persons with Disabilities: 610 (4.0%)
# Visible Minorities: 820 (5.4%)

Correctional Service Canada (CX only)

# Officers: 6,194
# Women: 1,645 (26.67%)
# Aboriginal Peoples: 628 (10.1%)
# Persons with Disabilities: 174 (2.8%)
# Visible Minorities: 364 (5.9%)

Like I said, given the physical demands of the job, we will naturally trend towards male officers for the CX group, but the fact that our EE numbers are higher than the average (except for disabilities) speaks volumes about just how (too) far the EE pendulum has swung.

When brownie points become more important than doing the job well, and doing the job right, well then you know you have problems.

Not going to say more than that in a public forum.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

ismailbawa wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:You need have your medical finished prior to going to Staff College, including your TB test. TB tests can take a long time to get, I can't stress enough to get that done sooner rather than later.

does everyone has to do TB Test??? can anyone advice if they have done their medical recently.... Thank you

Yes everyone has to do a TB test. And you will have to do it on a regular basis once working. A TB test is fairly easy to get, just go to your local health unit to arrange for a test. That's what I have done in the past.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 pm

SupahDuck wrote:And for the record, CSC is pretty representative when it comes to the composition of its workforce....

From the Treasury Board Canada website, for 2008: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rp/0608ee06-eng.asp

Correctional Service Canada (includes all non-security occupational groups)

# Employees: 15,163
# Women: 6,930 (45.7%)
# Aboriginal Peoples: 1,128 (7.4%)
# Persons with Disabilities: 610 (4.0%)
# Visible Minorities: 820 (5.4%)

Correctional Service Canada (CX only)

# Officers: 6,194
# Women: 1,645 (26.67%)
# Aboriginal Peoples: 628 (10.1%)
# Persons with Disabilities: 174 (2.8%)
# Visible Minorities: 364 (5.9%)

Like I said, given the physical demands of the job, we will naturally trend towards male officers for the CX group, but the fact that our EE numbers are higher than the average (except for disabilities) speaks volumes about just how (too) far the EE pendulum has swung.

When brownie points become more important than doing the job well, and doing the job right, well then you know you have problems.

Not going to say more than that in a public forum.

thank you supahduck!

btw, i was very offended by " pdubbu's" comments. i had previously stated the best person for the job/based on merit and in addition to that i think one's status need to be taken into conideration (but not a primary deciding factor for hiring). i think pdubbu's comments are very backwards and that it does not agree with the canadian value and ideals.
Gaoler

ismailbawa
Rookie Member

Postby ismailbawa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

NatoBro wrote:
ismailbawa wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:You need have your medical finished prior to going to Staff College, including your TB test. TB tests can take a long time to get, I can't stress enough to get that done sooner rather than later.

does everyone has to do TB Test??? can anyone advice if they have done their medical recently.... Thank you

Yes everyone has to do a TB test. And you will have to do it on a regular basis once working. A TB test is fairly easy to get, just go to your local health unit to arrange for a test. That's what I have done in the past.

Thank you very much...

illsmashup
Rookie Member

Postby illsmashup » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 pm

It's where they make sure you're smart enough to do your own research about all of the different stages of CTP![/quote][/quote]

I do no what it is now

Thank you agian[/quote]

You have to pass the new english test before stage 2...you 'no'. lol :stupid:

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Gaoler wrote:thank you supahduck!

btw, i was very offended by " pdubbu's" comments. i had previously stated the best person for the job/based on merit and in addition to that i think one's status need to be taken into conideration (but not a primary deciding factor for hiring). i think pdubbu's comments are very backwards and that it does not agree with the canadian value and ideals.

You're welcome, I guess? :ponder:

My whole point was that Employment Equity is a broken system because as it's being currently implemented in CSC, it completely ignores any merit or performance-based assessment of candidates, and supersedes all that with the EE checklist before anything else. ( I speak from personal experience on this. )

In the current competitions, EE is not the primary deciding factor for hiring, no, but it sure as hell is the primary deciding initial factor for deciding who writes the "in-house" and WCPAT tests, who is called for an interview and who goes into CTP......

Don't kid yourself, the deck is stacked against white males every step of the way. Mr. Pdub isn't that far off base.

And my argument was that there's no need for such "EE extremism" right now within CSC. We already have a representative workforce, given the special requirements of our job (i.e. a CX can't have significant physical impairments).

But there's very little you can do to change such a widely entrenched system, even when it's broken. :|

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 am

SupahDuck wrote:
Gaoler wrote:thank you supahduck!

You're welcome, I guess? :ponder:

My whole point was that Employment Equity is a broken system because as it's being currently implemented in CSC, it completely ignores any merit or performance-based assessment of candidates, and supersedes all that with the EE checklist before anything else. ( I speak from personal experience on this. )

In the current competitions, EE is not the primary deciding factor for hiring, no, but it sure as hell is the primary deciding initial factor for deciding who writes the "in-house" and WCPAT tests, who is called for an interview and who goes into CTP......

Don't kid yourself, the deck is stacked against white males every step of the way. Mr. Pdub isn't that far off base.

And my argument was that there's no need for such "EE extremism" right now within CSC. We already have a representative workforce, given the special requirements of our job (i.e. a CX can't have significant physical impairments).

But there's very little you can do to change such a widely entrenched system, even when it's broken. :|

hi supahduck, i see your point and i see that p might be frustrated with the process, but he's not alone. anyone and everyone applying to any fed govt jobs is frustrated. it's much simpler to blame it on ee. it might be part of a bigger problem, but it's not the primary problem.

if ee worked so damn well, i would have been hired already. :crazy:
Gaoler

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 am

It is funny to see the ones that get past the interview stage. You know the ones who talk in "text", everything is shortened. People who can't research their own information. What are they going to be like when/if they pass CTP? Maybe it is different in other regions for interviewing. Where as someone like myself, female, with years of "life experience", not just fresh out of school and who can motivate others very well (this is what I failed at the interview) and I get passed on. That was the only part I failed on. On top of that, the interviewer even asked how old I was. I didn't think they were allowed to ask, but I told them anyways. It wasn't a trick question, they could find out on their own regardless.
I will reapply again next time, and have the experience of the interview process again.