Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
J_Brian
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby J_Brian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

I got accepted into training! I have a question. While I'm there, and after training and studying if I wanted to pay to take a "road bike" with me. Would that be acceptable? Its something I do daily and would like to if possible. Just don't want to be the only guy rolling up from the airport (which is 1.7km from the facility) on a road bike, with cleats and a helmet on. :| I can just as easily jog everyday.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 am

J_Brian wrote:I got accepted into training! I have a question. While I'm there, and after training and studying if I wanted to pay to take a "road bike" with me. Would that be acceptable? Its something I do daily and would like to if possible. Just don't want to be the only guy rolling up from the airport (which is 1.7km from the facility) on a road bike, with cleats and a helmet on. :| I can just as easily jog everyday.

There's no restrictions on your mode of transportation..... if anything, the fact that you're fitness-minded is an asset.

Your only issue would be with parking..... CSC facilities are not known to be bike friendly.

Congrats on being accepted! Where are you doing CTP?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

J_Brian
Rookie Member

Postby J_Brian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 am

SupahDuck wrote:Your only issue would be with parking..... CSC facilities are not known to be bike friendly.

I google mapped the facility, used the street view feature and saw a long red bike rack out front. My concern is bringing it on the plane, when it's likely under some sort of account or credit card. I'd assume I would pay the additional costs, just unsure of whether they'd be okay with it.

Since I just found out and am impatiently on here asking instead of waiting to be told what I need to bring... Am I going there with all my kit, plus my personal belongings? Then maneuvering the bike would become a problem.

:|

SupahDuck wrote:Congrats on being accepted! Where are you doing CTP?

Saskatoon. Thank you. It was a long process, and a long road ahead still. At least it's going to seem like it.

Sk82
Veteran Member

Postby Sk82 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:31 am

J_Brian wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:Congrats on being accepted! Where are you doing CTP?

Saskatoon. Thank you. It was a long process, and a long road ahead still. At least it's going to seem like it.

I know of a few friends that work at RPC in Saskatoon. If your in the University area, stop by and say hi
Police Constable

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 am

J_Brian wrote:I google mapped the facility, used the street view feature and saw a long red bike rack out front. My concern is bringing it on the plane, when it's likely under some sort of account or credit card. I'd assume I would pay the additional costs, just unsure of whether they'd be okay with it.

Since I just found out and am impatiently on here asking instead of waiting to be told what I need to bring... Am I going there with all my kit, plus my personal belongings? Then maneuvering the bike would become a problem.

I'm not sure what the exact policies are for the Prairies region.... it's best to contact one of the recruiting officers with your specific questions.

You'd definitely be paying for the bike transport out of your own pocket, but really the only 'kit' you'll be bringing is your own personal clothing and the like. You *should* be able to manage a backpack along with your bike, no?

The only other consideration is that you'll have to transport your bike in a travel case (large plastic case) on the plane, you can't just take it bare. Contact your airline for details on that..... the logistics might make it not worth your while.

Having the bike at CTP is not the issue..... getting it there (along with the other stuff you'll need) might be.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

supersean wrote:If they are contacting my references does that mean i passed the interview? or is the reference check part of the interview? then after that its just a medical and then wait for training correct?

Reference checks are part of the interview stage, but they wouldn't be doing the phone calls if they weren't interested in you, so it's a good sign.

You need to get your medical (and first aid / CPR) done before they'll let you start the training.

J_Brian
Rookie Member

Postby J_Brian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 pm

supersean wrote:If they are contacting my references does that mean i passed the interview? or is the reference check part of the interview? then after that its just a medical and then wait for training correct?

Calling your references knowing they don't want you wouldn't make much sense, so its probably good news. Then after that they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

-Book your medical on your own, with the clinic they give you, or your doctor. Then you need to do an audiogram separately.. Or at least I did. Clinic didn't have the machine required.

After that as long as your postal service is operational right now they will send off the info for you and all you have to do is wait.

I received confirmation I had passed the medical after I found out i got into training.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:48 pm

J_Brian wrote:

Calling your references knowing they don't want you wouldn't make much sense, so its probably good news. Then after that they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

-Book your medical on your own, with the clinic they give you, or your doctor. Then you need to do an audiogram separately.. Or at least I did. Clinic didn't have the machine required.

After that as long as your postal service is operational right now they will send off the info for you and all you have to do is wait.

I received confirmation I had passed the medical after I found out i got into training.

@ J_Brian - Very insightful and informing :ponder:

AlphaMikeFoxtrot
Rookie Member

Postby AlphaMikeFoxtrot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Just got a call to go get fingerprinting done..not sure if I should be worried or not. I have a DUI from 10 years ago that I was honest about on the form at the interview. They would have seen this when getting the CPIC done so I'm just wondering why they would need fingerprints... just to see if it's true? Medical is done already so not sure what to think.. any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!!!!

Federal1
Rookie Member

Postby Federal1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm

You may be getting finger printed because they saw this on your CPIC, because there is or was an inmate in the system with your name and obviously want to make sure you aren't them, or because the screening process is changing and clearances will be changing to involve a more thorough background check dating back ten years...i would put money on it that everyone will be fingerprinted very soon...it's common practice in all law enforcement agencies, we are just finally getting upto speed...As well, the more the RCMP becomes a close friend of the CSC's whether it be training, or anything else, our practices will change in time to more mimic theres...

let the comments begin..

:0

AlphaMikeFoxtrot
Rookie Member

Postby AlphaMikeFoxtrot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Federal1 wrote:You may be getting finger printed because they saw this on your CPIC, because there is or was an inmate in the system with your name and obviously want to make sure you aren't them, or because the screening process is changing and clearances will be changing to involve a more thorough background check dating back ten years...i would put money on it that everyone will be fingerprinted very soon...it's common practice in all law enforcement agencies, we are just finally getting upto speed...As well, the more the RCMP becomes a close friend of the CSC's whether it be training, or anything else, our practices will change in time to more mimic theres...

let the comments begin..

:0

If it seems to be the norm nowadays then I won't worry about it... and I completely agree that it should be done (even though I'm the one that has to pay $50 to get it done!!!!) Just trying to figure out if the charge from 10 years ago will affect me or not.

Prairie_candidate
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_candidate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 pm

First of all I'd like to thank all the guys and gals for their contribution to this forum. A lot of useful information here. Thank you :D
I have 2 questions, and I would be very grateful for anyone's input

1. I have submitted my finger prints at the Commissioners in Toronto on June 14th. and still haven't heard back. (i don't have any criminal convictions) Why is it taking so long? Is this the norm? I 'm wondering how long other people had to wait.

2. I've been reading CON GAME and I'm wondering if it's really true what the author writes about CSC? I noticed that the book was published in 2003 . Have things changed since than? Any veteran CXs that have read the book care to comment on it?

Thanks in advance! :bow:

kenworth98
Rookie Member

Postby kenworth98 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 am

your prints maybe stuck in the mail, and or RCMP backloged....i'm sure you'll know soon.

taking someones advise not to read CON GAME.........

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 am

kenworth98 wrote:your prints maybe stuck in the mail, and or RCMP backloged....i'm sure you'll know soon.

taking someones advise not to read CON GAME.........

to prairieapplicant, read the last couple pages for the discussion on the CON GAME book, i think it's always good to read more than less.

the important thing u should take out of reading ANY books, is that u take everything with a grain of salt. any non-fiction books are composed of BOTH FACTS and OPINION.

read the book, work the job, and form your own outlook. yours truly, provincial CO
Gaoler