Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
graingirl
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby graingirl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm in the current process and when the process was explained to me there was no mention of fingerprinting. If they do it now, they do not do it before the medical or concurrently to the medical to my knowledge. Maybe someone is mixing up Provincial and Federal appication processes? Or maybe its later in the process and they don't mention it?
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

Steve698
Rookie Member

Postby Steve698 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I just went through the process very recently. They are doing fingerprints, but it is not for everyone. They run a CPIC first and if you have the same name as anyone else in Canada that has something on their record, they will call you and ask you to come in to do fingerprints. I had to do this and I know of at least 6 others in my core alone that had to do it. It must just be something new that they are doing.
Also, I think I read somewhere in the previous posts that you won't hear anything about a medical until you get to core. I think this has changed because I had to do a medical before I was offered a place on CTP. This was the same for the other 20 people on my core, and also the same for people on the core before and after me. I also know several friends at home who are still in the waiting process and they already did a medical, and they have yet to receive an invite for CTP.
This also must be a new step they are doing. Trying to strain out some people by doing the security clearance and the medical before offering a spot on CTP. This is a good thing in my opinion, but the only negative is that it seems to slow down the process a lot.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Steve698 wrote:I just went through the process very recently. They are doing fingerprints, but it is not for everyone. They run a CPIC first and if you have the same name as anyone else in Canada that has something on their record, they will call you and ask you to come in to do fingerprints. I had to do this and I know of at least 6 others in my core alone that had to do it. It must just be something new that they are doing.
Also, I think I read somewhere in the previous posts that you won't hear anything about a medical until you get to core. I think this has changed because I had to do a medical before I was offered a place on CTP. This was the same for the other 20 people on my core, and also the same for people on the core before and after me. I also know several friends at home who are still in the waiting process and they already did a medical, and they have yet to receive an invite for CTP.
This also must be a new step they are doing. Trying to strain out some people by doing the security clearance and the medical before offering a spot on CTP. This is a good thing in my opinion, but the only negative is that it seems to slow down the process a lot.

Thanks for the info, Steve, it certainly helps clarify things.....

That "fingerprint if you have the same name" deal is being done for employment background checks in the civilian world as well (i.e. for volunteers, charities and the like). The sudden increase in the number of fingerprint requests has swamped the system, to the point where it's delaying people getting jobs. It's made headlines across the country.....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Steve698 wrote:I just went through the process very recently. They are doing fingerprints, but it is not for everyone. They run a CPIC first and if you have the same name as anyone else in Canada that has something on their record, they will call you and ask you to come in to do fingerprints. I had to do this and I know of at least 6 others in my core alone that had to do it. It must just be something new that they are doing.

I said that you won't hear any results from your medical until you're on CTP, not that you do your medical while on CTP :roll:

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 am

Finally got my references checked! They had a hard time setting up phone calls due to conflicting schedules and I was getting nervous! Guess this is awesome training on how to hurry up and wait some more :D

mgd
Rookie Member

Postby mgd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:57 pm

:)
Last edited by mgd on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Applied CSC April 13, 2011
WCPT & In-House Exam May 14, 2011
Passed WCPT & In-House Exam June 15, 2011
Interviewed July 08, 2011
References Checked July 21, 2011
Medical July 25, 2011
CTP Invite August 22, 2011

crimstudent82
Rookie Member

Postby crimstudent82 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:02 pm

anyone else who wrote the test at ubc and passed still waiting for an interview?
Applied to CSC: April. 13. 2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Wrote May. 14.2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Passed Jun.15.2011
Interview: waiting

Turp
Rookie Member

Postby Turp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:32 pm

crimstudent82 wrote:anyone else who wrote the test at ubc and passed still waiting for an interview?

I still haven't had mine, I've heard from them but I had to reschedule so am waiting for a new date. I know of others who are waiting still, so I wouldn't worry. They probably still have hundreds of interviews to do!

Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Postby Ummagumma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 am

I went through CTP recently and was never fingerprinted. As for the medical, mine was scheduled before I received an invitation to CTP. As soon as I passed the interviews, the medical was scheduled. I never heard another word about the medical, so I suppose no news is good news.

As for the issue of 'preparing for the interview,' I think I could have had a list of the questions they'd ask going in to the interview and it wouldn't have changed a thing. IMHO, they're not looking for the 'right' answers or any one thing. Just relax and give straight up, thoughtful answers to the questions and you'll do fine. It's really not rocket surgery.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 am

Ummagumma wrote:I went through CTP recently and was never fingerprinted. As for the medical, mine was scheduled before I received an invitation to CTP. As soon as I passed the interviews, the medical was scheduled. I never heard another word about the medical, so I suppose no news is good news.

As for the issue of 'preparing for the interview,' I think I could have had a list of the questions they'd ask going in to the interview and it wouldn't have changed a thing. IMHO, they're not looking for the 'right' answers or any one thing. Just relax and give straight up, thoughtful answers to the questions and you'll do fine. It's really not rocket surgery.

As opposed to brain science, perhaps? :mrgreen:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 am

SupahDuck wrote:
Ummagumma wrote:I went through CTP recently and was never fingerprinted. As for the medical, mine was scheduled before I received an invitation to CTP. As soon as I passed the interviews, the medical was scheduled. I never heard another word about the medical, so I suppose no news is good news.

As opposed to brain science, perhaps? :mrgreen:

LUCKY!! Do you know a rocket surgeon, I've wanted to be a rocket surgeon all my life :ponder:

mgd
Rookie Member

Postby mgd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:15 pm

boudz wrote:Finally got my references checked! They had a hard time setting up phone calls due to conflicting schedules and I was getting nervous! Guess this is awesome training on how to hurry up and wait some more :D

Hey! congrats.. are you in PAC region?
Applied CSC April 13, 2011
WCPT & In-House Exam May 14, 2011
Passed WCPT & In-House Exam June 15, 2011
Interviewed July 08, 2011
References Checked July 21, 2011
Medical July 25, 2011
CTP Invite August 22, 2011

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 pm

mgd wrote:
boudz wrote:Finally got my references checked! They had a hard time setting up phone calls due to conflicting schedules and I was getting nervous! Guess this is awesome training on how to hurry up and wait some more :D

Hey! congrats.. are you in PAC region?

Thanks! Medical has been scheduled now. I'm in ONT.

p.r
Rookie Member

Postby p.r » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Applied: 2010-12-14
Written Test: 2010-12-20
Interview: 2010-12-29

I don't remember the dates for the stages of CTP, but June I graduated from Staff College from Saskatoon.

OJT: 2011-07-04

Finally on the clock, but overall from the time I applied until the interview was very short. The CTP instructions were sent to my email shortly after.

Just a tip of advice for anyone going through the in class CTP stage, DO NOT act as a "Big Provincial" if you have provincial corrections experience... Stuff like "At X Institution we did it this way" or "In X Institution this is how it operated". Otherwise you will find yourself "released" from the program a week before graduation. If you have the attitude of "You know it all" then you will have it hard. Leave that stuff tucked away while you are in core, and listen..

p.r
Rookie Member

Postby p.r » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Slo wrote:I have seen a couple people say they are going to CTP in Saskatoon. Does this mean the training at the RCMP Depot in Regina is no longer happening? Is everyone doing training within their own region??

Depot is still somewhat of a "Pilot" project from what I have gathered..