Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MedTech
Grand Poobah
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Behind Bars
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm

supersean wrote:Lol was not comparing the jobs, but the interviews, I had to go through 2 a personal/ values etc and a security background check I was saying that the interviews are probably similar in the fact they find out everything about you, I would hope corrections is like that, as for the 2 positions thanks but I'm not retarded and I know they are completely different


supersean wrote:actually yes i can read, and fyi i was making an educated guess to the interview, as i know people in corrections, and have talked with people who have recently taken an interview.


Ok. Obviously you do have a problem reading. The quote I made was not the one you made an educated guess on. The quote I made, and responded to was the one I have BOLDED for your reading comprehension.

Just because you know people in Corrections doesn't mean you know how the process works. The process has changed since I got in, and since most of the current COs that are replying have gotten in. However, the difference between the people who are responding and you, is that we've been there and we've done it. You have not.

Stop making educated guesses and start reading what has already been posted and said over and over again.

This goes for any current and future applicants, who think that their situation is somehow unique and requires an answer directed straight at them.

The people who are here answering questions don't get paid. We're not recruiters and we don't spend our lives on here. We're here because we'd like to help, and like to see people get in to our service. It does however, not mean we have to sit here and baby sit and coddle you through every step of the way.

Part of the job of a CO is the ability to take charge, and investigate matters if required. If you can't sit through a simple internet thread, or do your own research into the job you're about to apply to, then I don't think this is the right job for you. This is not directed at you SuperSean, but rather all applicants.

Just so you know, I was an A/Cst and the interviews were NOTHING alike.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

supersean
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:56 pm

.
Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MedTech
Grand Poobah
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Behind Bars
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 pm

supersean wrote:
MedTech wrote:
Just so you know, I was an A/Cst and the interviews were NOTHING alike.



I guess ill find out for myself next week


Then you can provide your vast experience for everyone who asks after that.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

User avatar
graingirl
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby graingirl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:41 pm

supersean wrote:actually yes i can read, and fyi i was making an educated guess to the interview, as i know people in corrections, and have talked with people who have recently taken an interview.


MedTech wrote:Then you can provide your vast experience for everyone who asks after that.


Thought the interview was confidential and you are not allowed to talk to anyone about it, so if there are people actually discussing the interview with you, then i personally wouldn't want to work with them. Unless they are just giving advice like you said "to be honest" etc. But if they are actually telling you how it works and what questions they ask etc. there is a problem!! If anyone asks me specific questions that do not relate directly to the interview itself then ok i may offer the information, but if its a matter of them trying to find out the questions they ask or the correct answers you should give then NO WAY am i supplying them with anything. I went in blind (aside from my own research etc) and so should they, that way its a fair process!!
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

supersean
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:51 pm

.
Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdubbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: True North
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:08 pm

graingirl wrote:
supersean wrote:actually yes i can read, and fyi i was making an educated guess to the interview, as i know people in corrections, and have talked with people who have recently taken an interview.


MedTech wrote:Then you can provide your vast experience for everyone who asks after that.


Thought the interview was confidential and you are not allowed to talk to anyone about it, so if there are people actually discussing the interview with you, then i personally wouldn't want to work with them. Unless they are just giving advice like you said "to be honest" etc. But if they are actually telling you how it works and what questions they ask etc. there is a problem!! If anyone asks me specific questions that do not relate directly to the interview itself then ok i may offer the information, but if its a matter of them trying to find out the questions they ask or the correct answers you should give then NO WAY am i supplying them with anything. I went in blind (aside from my own research etc) and so should they, that way its a fair process!!


Research is the key!! It's not hard to find out what core competencies they are looking for...google will do the work for you if you type in the right query.

User avatar
SupahDuck
King Poobah
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 am

pdubbu wrote:
graingirl wrote:
supersean wrote:actually yes i can read, and fyi i was making an educated guess to the interview, as i know people in corrections, and have talked with people who have recently taken an interview.


MedTech wrote:Then you can provide your vast experience for everyone who asks after that.


Thought the interview was confidential and you are not allowed to talk to anyone about it, so if there are people actually discussing the interview with you, then i personally wouldn't want to work with them. Unless they are just giving advice like you said "to be honest" etc. But if they are actually telling you how it works and what questions they ask etc. there is a problem!! If anyone asks me specific questions that do not relate directly to the interview itself then ok i may offer the information, but if its a matter of them trying to find out the questions they ask or the correct answers you should give then NO WAY am i supplying them with anything. I went in blind (aside from my own research etc) and so should they, that way its a fair process!!


Research is the key!! It's not hard to find out what core competencies they are looking for...google will do the work for you if you type in the right query.


Actually, they send you the Essential Qualifications, Asset Qualifications and Core Values that they will be interviewing on, right in the e-mail notifying you of said interview.

It's not rocket science, and if you do *any* research at all, you'll be able to find out lots of information on everything they're looking for.

If someone is supplying you with actual questions from the interview, then that's a violation of the Personal Suitability criteria, and it's grounds for immediate dismissal from CTP (hell, it's potentially grounds for being fired in your first probationary year as an employee). They don't take lightly to people compromising the integrity of the competition process, as they've got a LOT invested in it.

:wave:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

User avatar
Slo
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Slo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 am

Shawshank wrote:Good to see everyone made up and is playing nice. Now can we get back to the point of this thread? Like, where the hell is my phone call and is there a secret handshake I could use when I meet the interviewers?

I heard many rumours about this.....apparently the current secret handshake that is deemed acceptable by interviewers is a quick, yet firm, 'cup check'. I didn't try it myself...but I heard it actually works. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Slo
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Slo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:50 am

For those currently in the hiring process....about how long did it take to hear back after fingerprinting and/or the Medical?

It's only been 2 weeks....and there was a bit of a Canada Post hiccup in there too. I'm just wondering how long most people waited to hear back about these parts of the process. Specifically hoping to hear from people that were in that stage of the process during the "Posties Strike".

Thanks.

pdubbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: True North
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 am

Slo wrote:For those currently in the hiring process....about how long did it take to hear back after fingerprinting and/or the Medical?

It's only been 2 weeks....and there was a bit of a Canada Post hiccup in there too. I'm just wondering how long most people waited to hear back about these parts of the process. Specifically hoping to hear from people that were in that stage of the process during the "Posties Strike".

Thanks.


Finger printing....they've really changed things up. You won't hear anything about the medical usually until your on CTP. Hearing nothing is what you want though, they usually only notify you if they found something that needs further testing, etc... I've heard that things are running at a snails pace at the college too, its pretty much shut down for the next bit. I would hazard to guess that the CTP's won't start up until the end of summer or beginning of fall. It gives you more time to save up some $$ so things aren't as tight when you're getting into the 5-6 week of classes. The last thing you want is to be worried about paying bills,etc...

User avatar
Whitebrown
Sage Member
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Whitebrown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:56 am

They're fingerprint now? About time.

My "background check" only consisted of them calling one reference, and I'll be damned if I was even ran through CPIC. I pray they at least did that.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Whitebrown wrote:They're fingerprint now? About time.

My "background check" only consisted of them calling one reference, and I'll be damned if I was even ran through CPIC. I pray they at least did that.



ha ha, indeed. they do cpic and finger printing for bc corrections........hard to imagine they dont for csc.
Gaoler

User avatar
SupahDuck
King Poobah
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 am

Are you guys sure about that fingerprinting?

Anyone involved in the CURRENT process (the one with the 200-300 people in a room writing the WCPT and "in-house" test) received notification that they are going to be fingerprinted, in writing?

It's something that would a LOT of cost and time to the process, and it's never been a requirement for CX's as long as I've been in the service (which granted isn't that long.... ;) )
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 am
Location: Grande Cache, AB
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:36 am

SupahDuck wrote:Are you guys sure about that fingerprinting?

Anyone involved in the CURRENT process (the one with the 200-300 people in a room writing the WCPT and "in-house" test) received notification that they are going to be fingerprinted, in writing?

It's something that would a LOT of cost and time to the process, and it's never been a requirement for CX's as long as I've been in the service (which granted isn't that long.... ;) )


I'm doing my online training now. No fingerprinting yet.

User avatar
SupahDuck
King Poobah
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 am

The only time I've seen fingerprinting involved in security clearances (at least on the CSC side) is if you need to get your Secret Clearance or higher..... As a CX, the only requirement is to have your Reliability status (used to be called Enhanced Reliability).

Included a CPIC check, as far as I know. :ponder:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gokneuf, Google [Bot], RomeoAlpha8 and 7 guests