Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Standing on the Thin Blue Wall in British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BravoZulu » Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Krissi wrote:Hello,

I've gotten into the habit of perusing the posts on this forum over the last couple of months, but have never posted.

Just wondering, from those on the job (or not), if there is a preference for boots worn. Do you prefer to have high top boots, or short boots, and which is personally preferred steel toe or carbon (or carbonite w/e)?

Ummagumma: Firstly, congrats on successfully completing CTP and good luck on the job. Just curious: You had to provide your own clothes for the physical training portion of CTP?


I always wear 8" boots for a few reasons. Higher boots provide better support for me and they're nice when walking/running through water or snow (We're outside a lot at my Institution). Also Inmates can grab our feet from under some of our cell doors, and can grab your feet from under the stairs in some units. I prefer the added protection in case someone wants to get stabby or grabby from down under.
We are technically required to wear steel toe and steel shank boots, but I think composite is fine. I wear 8" 5.11 Tactical boots with sidezip for lazy boot removal.

BZ

**edited for grade 3 level spelling error**
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

User avatar
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Standing on the Thin Blue Wall in British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BravoZulu » Sun May 29, 2011 5:51 pm

[quote="Striker"]steel gets cold. [quote]

Cold? What is this foreign temperature you speak of? Ok, it did snow here for 2, maybe 3 days this year...ya got me :lol:
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

Krissi
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Krissi » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you all for the help.

I have some orthopaedic insurance to cash in on before I go to CTP.

I now have a starting point for my search.

:D

pdubbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: True North
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Tue May 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Krissi wrote:Thank you all for the help.

I have some orthopaedic insurance to cash in on before I go to CTP.

I now have a starting point for my search.

:D


Get some good insoles, sometimes your on your feet alot....good insoles will be worth their weight in gold!!

Krissi
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Krissi » Tue May 31, 2011 4:22 pm

pdubbu wrote:
Krissi wrote:Thank you all for the help.

I have some orthopaedic insurance to cash in on before I go to CTP.

I now have a starting point for my search.

:D


Get some good insoles, sometimes your on your feet alot....good insoles will be worth their weight in gold!!





Absolutely!

I totally agree with that. I have a few pairs (or sets, w/e) of good insoles currently.

In addition to them, the insurance coverage that I currently have also allows me to special order work boots that are designed to accommodate insoles. So I did so earlier today :D

I figured that if I had to provide them for CTP anyway it would be best to be prepared and cash in on the insurance for free boots, considering the training is not paid.

bighotdog
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby bighotdog » Tue May 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I need a few studying tips from you guys, I am finished reading the Stage 1 online portion and will be writing the written exam soon. There were a lot of readings and would be very hard to memorize all of it, does anyone have any studying strategies that would be useful for the exam?

pdubbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: True North
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 pm

Krissi wrote:
pdubbu wrote:
Krissi wrote:Thank you all for the help.

I have some orthopaedic insurance to cash in on before I go to CTP.

I now have a starting point for my search.

:D


Get some good insoles, sometimes your on your feet alot....good insoles will be worth their weight in gold!!


Absolutely!

I totally agree with that. I have a few pairs (or sets, w/e) of good insoles currently.

In addition to them, the insurance coverage that I currently have also allows me to special order work boots that are designed to accommodate insoles. So I did so earlier today :D

I figured that if I had to provide them for CTP anyway it would be best to be prepared and cash in on the insurance for free boots, considering the training is not paid.


I hope you ordered ones with composite toe and shank or steel toe and shank....the composites are lighter and won't get as cold as others mentioned.

pdubbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: True North
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm

bighotdog wrote:Hello everyone,

I need a few studying tips from you guys, I am finished reading the Stage 1 online portion and will be writing the written exam soon. There were a lot of readings and would be very hard to memorize all of it, does anyone have any studying strategies that would be useful for the exam?


You'll have to decide what's important and what's not, and to be honest it's pretty obvious what is important to know.

Steve698
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Steve698 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

bighotdog wrote:Hello everyone,

I need a few studying tips from you guys, I am finished reading the Stage 1 online portion and will be writing the written exam soon. There were a lot of readings and would be very hard to memorize all of it, does anyone have any studying strategies that would be useful for the exam?


I honestly did not study at all for the Stage 1 exam. If you did the material and knew it well it enough to pass the quizzes... which you obviously did since you are writing the final exam, then you will be fine. A lot of the questions are common sense and the rest you should already know from reading the material, doing the quizzes.

0010010
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby 0010010 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 am

Hey guys,
So I passed the written, interview and medicsl...what comes next? Is it background, offer and then ctp?

Thanks

melgirl_89
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:50 am
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby melgirl_89 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm

0010010 wrote:Hey guys,
So I passed the written, interview and medicsl...what comes next? Is it background, offer and then ctp?

Thanks


Stage 1 (online training)
Mel

ladybug
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby ladybug » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:56 pm

0010010 wrote:Hey guys,
So I passed the written, interview and medicsl...what comes next? Is it background, offer and then ctp?

Thanks


Usually they do the medical after your security clearance is already done (well that is how it was done for me), this may be different for another region though. You usually get an invitation (offer) for CTP after. Depends on how many people they are hiring and what qualifications those other people have.
After my interview (not the role play) I got a letter stating I passed all requirements and put into inventory until an upcoming CTP. Then about 3 weeks later I got my invitation to CTP through email.

0010010
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby 0010010 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

well i did my written, interview and medical.. like i mentioned before. This is for the Grand cache location. So, I have no idea how they do things over there (judging on the fact that you mentioned that the process varies from region to region).. I am guessing background happens after you clear the medical and then you get placed into a pool.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests