Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
pdubbu
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pdubbu » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Tsweimer wrote:
Federal CO wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:just a side question, is it common for CSC employees to shower and nap inside the institution if they only have like 6-8 hours of rest time in between their shifts?

No.

Not at my particular institution or any one that I am aware of in this region for that matter. We have one shower for emergencies. There is nowhere to "nap", and if you do it on post you are FUBAR and your ethics/credibility/career go out the window.

EDIT: The shower can be used for personal use as well if you wanna look like a tool :wave:

My opinion is that you drop this volunteer gig and focus on your future. If you are trying to collect experience out of volunteering, you can trust me when I say that you will get much more out of the CSC.

EDIT #2: Your primary focus should be on yourself and your fellow CO's (should you make it). If you show up for shift and can't give it your all (we depend on you COI's with our lives) because you are "tired" from volunteering or travel especially when you are new and inexperienced, you will have a very rough go and may get voluntold to transfer...catch my drift? Sorry, but it's reality my friend. If you don't care enough then don't bother waisting your time and ours.

That's just awesome. I live close to all the lower mainland institutions and I can't even get so much as a hello from recruiting yet people are given this incredible opportunity and commuting and volunteering take precedence? I'm not dumping on anyone here, I'm just saying you've got a chance that some people wait years for.
I'd walk to work pushing a wheel barrel full of shit if need be, but I guess everyone's priority's are different.

Sorry to hear that you can't get any word from recruitment, I'd much rather have someone like you who wants the job rather than some douche that comes on here and immediately starts asking questions about a PO's and their hours, etc....shoot me a pm!!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Mully wrote:I just got an email inviting me to testing in June, so I guess thats a yes!

What region? I am waiting a response, but I fear when I put my application in, I didn't put in a "government" resume, ie use enough of the key words that are needed. That is my fault, and I will learn for the next time.
K division.

former mleo
Rookie Member

Postby former mleo » Fri May 27, 2011 8:20 pm

I smell a :boxer: soon lol J/K

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri May 27, 2011 9:25 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:
I've PM'd NTTP, and although in my perspective the experience is not worth it, it maybe different for him/her.

I've laid it out for them, and if they still chose to go through with the craziness, then... well... that's up to them..

Although New To The Place keep this in mind.... IF and that's a big IF you get hired, you maybe required to give up your status with your Volunteer Service. The reason is that you CANNOT be a LEO and do what you do. There is a conflict of interest, especially if you're dealing with someone who you've encountered at work or has a potential to encounter.

Think carefully. Again... do you want to be an unpaid random person... or do you want a career.

the conflict of interest part I have not cleared with CSC yet... which I believe I should clear with them asap. My volunteer place do not have an issue with it. CSC deals with indictable offenders mainly (2+ years sentences) while my volunteer organization deals mostly with the 2- years offenders.. As a CO1, I am unsure how much interaction I would be having with offenders... if i am just on static security...there's lesser chance of conflict of interest

summing it up, i better clear it with CSC first and I should not be relying on wishful thinking of how things will turn out...

How about this, NTTP? There is perhaps another solution that hasn't yet been mentioned:

Enter the CSC workforce now, and focus on that. Put the "hold" on your volunteering until you are established in your job.

And while you are at work, explore the possibilities / opportunities / job postings that come up in the Victim Services branch at CSC. It is a rapidly growing section of our organization, but still very much in its infancy. I'll bet they are looking for someone with your (very commendable) dedication, commitment and experience.

I believe that there is a section on the CSC public website that talks about Victim Services: http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/victims-victim ... -eng.shtml

I don't know if it's something that interests you, but it's certainly worth a look. Especially now that we have the majority Conservative government, with their focus on public safety and helping victims of crime.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Prairie
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sat May 28, 2011 10:36 am

Tsweimer and Nokevin:

Sorry to hear about your luck but keep at it. I would love to work with more folks with your ambition :thumbsup:
Very good. But brick not hit back!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat May 28, 2011 10:41 am

Federal CO wrote:Tsweimer and Nokevin:

Sorry to hear about your luck but keep at it. I would love to work with more folks with your ambition :thumbsup:

What is the general attitude for COs?
K division.

Tsweimer
Rookie Member

Postby Tsweimer » Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Federal CO. I appreciate it. I'd step up to the job %100. I'll keep knocking, it's all I can do right now.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sat May 28, 2011 10:46 am

Shawshank wrote:

What do you mean? Professionaly? Or the types of guys/girls hired? Following some time in? Pride in the career? I can better answer that question with clarification.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat May 28, 2011 10:59 am

Federal CO wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

What do you mean? Professionaly? Or the types of guys/girls hired? Following some time in? Pride in the career? I can better answer that question with clarification.

Pretty much what you asked if I was asking. When I first started my current job (Screener at the airport), I thought it would be a decent job for the time being. I thought the job had a point and that working with adults, I would be working with professional people. The more time passes, the more I realize how wrong I was.

Perhaps, we should take this to PM?
K division.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sat May 28, 2011 11:15 am

Shawshank wrote:Perhaps, we should take this to PM?

Send me one.

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello. Has anyone in the Ontario region had an invite to testing in the last couple of days or so??????

Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Postby Ummagumma » Sat May 28, 2011 7:05 pm

BadgeBunny wrote:Hi all,

New to this forum and have spent the last few hours going through all the previous posts.

I start my online training in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is an information session involved, or do they just email you the instructions to get started? How the work book training work? And can anyone give me an idea of the type of things that I have to personally provide for myself for the training at the staff college? (i.e. Boots)

Is the staff college training program conducted in uniform? or do you wear your civilian clothing for the course?

Any information that you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

There is so much to read here I don't blame you for just asking the questions. It is, however, worth scrolling through much of it in order to just get a general sense of the types of information available. For me, I found answers to questions I hadn't even thought to ask yet - very helpful.

As for your questions, I recently completed CTP in the Pacific Region so what I know comes from that experience. There's no information session prior to the online portion, but one isn't needed. You are emailed instructions and provided with a booklet. The rest is self-explanatory. In fact, everything you do prior to the in-class is fairly well explained and you'll have access to help via email if you have specific questions. My class was in uniform after the second day of CTP, but I think it depends on when uniforms are ordered and how long it takes for them to arrive. Prior to being in uniform, the dress is "business casual" but (if not in uniform) you'll want clothing that you can move around in as you practice things like handcuffing, etc. You will have to buy your own boots, but you don't need them immediately. When it comes time to do the physical skills you'll need clothing for that - we were in grey sweats and black t-shirts.

You're also going to need an iron and some boot polish to make sure that uniform looks SHARP!

Krissi
Rookie Member

Postby Krissi » Sun May 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Hello,

I've gotten into the habit of perusing the posts on this forum over the last couple of months, but have never posted.

Just wondering, from those on the job (or not), if there is a preference for boots worn. Do you prefer to have high top boots, or short boots, and which is personally preferred steel toe or carbon (or carbonite w/e)?

Ummagumma: Firstly, congrats on successfully completing CTP and good luck on the job. Just curious: You had to provide your own clothes for the physical training portion of CTP?

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Krissi wrote:Hello,

I've gotten into the habit of perusing the posts on this forum over the last couple of months, but have never posted.

Just wondering, from those on the job (or not), if there is a preference for boots worn. Do you prefer to have high top boots, or short boots, and which is personally preferred steel toe or carbon (or carbonite w/e)?

Ummagumma: Firstly, congrats on successfully completing CTP and good luck on the job. Just curious: You had to provide your own clothes for the physical training portion of CTP?

I personally wear Danner because they're built to last. I wear the 8-inch high top. I believe mine has the carbonite in them. So far I've gone 2.5 years on the same pair. Some guys I work with love 5.11 boots. Best thing is to try a bunch on and see what you like. Regardless of what you buy, be sure to get a pair of insoles that best suit your foot.

As for PT at CTP, we had to use or own sweat pants and t-shirts. Don't know if they still make you do that now. Could vary by region.