Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Dealing with victims is a noble thing to do. But I still think it will be to much juggling that with the working hours in the CSC. This job can be and is mentally draining. It is what you make of it. You need to focus on making it a solid career. Before that, you actually need to get through training.

I was being sarcastic with the shower situation. But you will probably be the only uniformed officer that uses the thing for anything other than emergencies here.

Yeah, I already expect the job to be very draining especially since I am very committed at everything I do. I guess it will be at least 10x more draining than I can imagine when I finally finish CTP/OJT/ and go in. Now I really gotta stop trolling the forums and get back on reading my materials for CTP haha.

BadgeBunny
Rookie Member

Postby BadgeBunny » Fri May 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi all,

New to this forum and have spent the last few hours going through all the previous posts.

I start my online training in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is an information session involved, or do they just email you the instructions to get started? How the work book training work? And can anyone give me an idea of the type of things that I have to personally provide for myself for the training at the staff college? (i.e. Boots)

Is the staff college training program conducted in uniform? or do you wear your civilian clothing for the course?

Any information that you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri May 27, 2011 2:56 pm

BadgeBunny wrote:Hi all,

New to this forum and have spent the last few hours going through all the previous posts.

IF you've actually done this... then you wouldn't have

BadgeBunny wrote:I start my online training in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is an information session involved, or do they just email you the instructions to get started? How the work book training work? And can anyone give me an idea of the type of things that I have to personally provide for myself for the training at the staff college? (i.e. Boots)

Is the staff college training program conducted in uniform? or do you wear your civilian clothing for the course?

...these types of questions.

Also... not to nitpick on your username... but that has some really negative connocations.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Tsweimer
Rookie Member

Postby Tsweimer » Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Federal CO wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:just a side question, is it common for CSC employees to shower and nap inside the institution if they only have like 6-8 hours of rest time in between their shifts?

No.

Not at my particular institution or any one that I am aware of in this region for that matter. We have one shower for emergencies. There is nowhere to "nap", and if you do it on post you are FUBAR and your ethics/credibility/career go out the window.

EDIT: The shower can be used for personal use as well if you wanna look like a tool :wave:

My opinion is that you drop this volunteer gig and focus on your future. If you are trying to collect experience out of volunteering, you can trust me when I say that you will get much more out of the CSC.

EDIT #2: Your primary focus should be on yourself and your fellow CO's (should you make it). If you show up for shift and can't give it your all (we depend on you COI's with our lives) because you are "tired" from volunteering or travel especially when you are new and inexperienced, you will have a very rough go and may get voluntold to transfer...catch my drift? Sorry, but it's reality my friend. If you don't care enough then don't bother waisting your time and ours.

That's just awesome. I live close to all the lower mainland institutions and I can't even get so much as a hello from recruiting yet people are given this incredible opportunity and commuting and volunteering take precedence? I'm not dumping on anyone here, I'm just saying you've got a chance that some people wait years for.
I'd walk to work pushing a wheel barrel full of shit if need be, but I guess everyone's priority's are different.

nokevin
Rookie Member

Postby nokevin » Fri May 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Tsweimer wrote:
Federal CO wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:just a side question, is it common for CSC employees to shower and nap inside the institution if they only have like 6-8 hours of rest time in between their shifts?

No.

Not at my particular institution or any one that I am aware of in this region for that matter. We have one shower for emergencies. There is nowhere to "nap", and if you do it on post you are FUBAR and your ethics/credibility/career go out the window.

EDIT: The shower can be used for personal use as well if you wanna look like a tool :wave:

My opinion is that you drop this volunteer gig and focus on your future. If you are trying to collect experience out of volunteering, you can trust me when I say that you will get much more out of the CSC.

EDIT #2: Your primary focus should be on yourself and your fellow CO's (should you make it). If you show up for shift and can't give it your all (we depend on you COI's with our lives) because you are "tired" from volunteering or travel especially when you are new and inexperienced, you will have a very rough go and may get voluntold to transfer...catch my drift? Sorry, but it's reality my friend. If you don't care enough then don't bother waisting your time and ours.

That's just awesome. I live close to all the lower mainland institutions and I can't even get so much as a hello from recruiting yet people are given this incredible opportunity and commuting and volunteering take precedence? I'm not dumping on anyone here, I'm just saying you've got a chance that some people wait years for.
I'd walk to work pushing a wheel barrel full of shit if need be, but I guess everyone's priority's are different.

agreed, it is discouraging to read stuff like this, i was in the process before, did not get through the interview stage, took it as a positive, spent the time from then until now improving myself,, and did not even get an invite to write the test this time.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:no, i don't work with inmates as volunteer, what i meant is we deal with victims that have been victimized by offenders who usually commit less than indictable offense

oh, I know sleeping at the institution in between shifts would probably make anyone look bad, but I didn't know that showers were that heavily scrutinized too. Don't police officers shower and change at their detachment after their shift if they got really dirtied up while on shift? I know the detachment in my city has showers that officers use frequently.

thank you so much everyone for addressing my questions and concerns

Victim service worker...hmmm, I did that for 6 yrs and its not all what is cracked up to be and doesn't help as much as you think it will ;)

It might be a good idea to see if your coordinator can put you on a "hold" status until you get things figured out with your career....then make a decision on whether or not you want to continue with volunteering.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm

MedTech wrote:
BadgeBunny wrote:Hi all,

IF you've actually done this... then you wouldn't have

BadgeBunny wrote:I start my online training in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is an information session involved, or do they just email you the instructions to get started? How the work book training work? And can anyone give me an idea of the type of things that I have to personally provide for myself for the training at the staff college? (i.e. Boots)

...these types of questions.

Also... not to nitpick on your username... but that has some really negative connocations.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier in May about questions being repeated over and over....a great tip would be to use the search options or take some time and read back a bunch of pages. You'll see where the conversations are going rather quickly and can skip pages to get to something that's more relevant to you. People now a days want information spoon fed to them...sheesh!!

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri May 27, 2011 5:45 pm

pdubbu wrote:This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier in May about questions being repeated over and over....a great tip would be to use the search options or take some time and read back a bunch of pages. You'll see where the conversations are going rather quickly and can skip pages to get to something that's more relevant to you. People now a days want information spoon fed to them...sheesh!!

Entitlement Mentality.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm

**Edit
Last edited by Mully on Fri May 27, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:01 pm

nobody has a definate answer as to if they will do any more testing out of the last posting, but I hope so

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Fri May 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I just got an email inviting me to testing in June, so I guess thats a yes!
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

illsmashup
Rookie Member

Postby illsmashup » Fri May 27, 2011 7:17 pm

smarshall wrote:If it was an extension of your dayshift of 8 hrs OT then you will have to return the next AM for day shift. If its the scheduled 16 hrs you transition to evening shift the next day. the Keepers realy frown on work one(OT) book one.(sick) As far as the comute goes i'vebeen driving 1hr10 mins to and from Kent for 21 years.You get used to it. I have zero interest in living in Chilliwack Agassiz or even Mission. My off duty friends my extended family all live down my way as well as my wife's employment. And don't even think of suggesting to me to transfer to another joint. I know this one and like working it,plus I'm too close to pension to go learn a new place.

At my joint, we work days after working a 16. Not too often but it happens. And yes, its scheduled, not OT

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I am sorry for using the forums to ask questions. I ask questions so I know my options and then figure out what needs to be cut loose asap so I can prepare for the transition to far far away land. I am very appreciative of the opportunity (that's why I am being grateful with everyone's response), but it does not mean I can't keep 1 other thing in life in balance. Some have family and work. I choose work and volunteer. If anyone is trying to say I can't do a good job just because I also wish to volunteer, I be glad to prove them wrong when given a chance.

As to why you can't get as much as a hello... I am very sorry to hear that. It is wonderful that you would walk to work pushing a wheel barrel full of shit if need be, but I wouldn't ever use the word "shit" loosely If i cared even for the slightest bit about professional deportment.

to nokevin: sorry for discouraging you, but I think it goes without saying... I am not the reason why you were not selected for the process so I would not take your post too personally.

to pdubbu: yes, a "hold" status would also be an option, hold for maybe 2 years so at least I can get the basics of my job learnt,and then to look back and think more seriously whether or not I am able to continue with volunteer or not

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Mully wrote:I just got an email inviting me to testing in June, so I guess thats a yes!

grats!!! I am sure lots of people will be glad to know that processes are still going.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri May 27, 2011 8:09 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:

As to why you can't get as much as a hello... I am very sorry to hear that. It is wonderful that you would walk to work pushing a wheel barrel full of shit if need be, but I wouldn't ever use the word "shit" loosely If i cared even for the slightest bit about professional deportment.

This is some of the funniest shit ever!! You wait until you hear the talk in the institution, shit will be the least offensive thing you hear. I love how you through out professional deportment and you haven't even started core. You're core-mates had better watch out for Mr. Serious....you need to slow down New, you're doing 85 in a 60 zone!