Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Federal CO

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Federal CO » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 am

NewToThePlace wrote:hi guys,

just wondering, anyone here working in kent/matsqui know of anyone that organizes car pooling to and from work ?

Would help if we knew where you are trying to commute from...

It will depend on the specific "crew" you work with. If some live in your area...well then ask about car pooling. Alot of folks do it due to Kent being out in nowhere-vill.
Very good. But brick not hit back!

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am

thanks federalco

hmmm, i would be commuting from east richmond/surrey/new westminster

yeah carpooling would be nice, would be nice if there's a group that have it's people take turns driving each different day so that it's not so taxing everyday (on the mind and body) for the 2 hours there and the 2 hours back commute... could be a driving hazard on the trans canada 1 if you were to drive by yourself every working day following 10-12 hour shifts

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu May 26, 2011 1:43 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:thanks federalco

yeah carpooling would be nice, would be nice if there's a group that have it's people take turns driving each different day so that it's not so taxing everyday (on the mind and body) for the 2 hours there and the 2 hours back commute... could be a driving hazard on the trans canada 1 if you were to drive by yourself every working day following 10-12 hour shifts

... MOVE....

That's the advice from someone who did just that after getting hired. MOVE. There are commutable distances, and then there are insanity... you're looking at insanity.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi all,

I recently failed the interview/role play for the parole officer competition, but csc did not tell me why or which part of the interview/role play i failed. anybody know anything about the PO comptetition?

thx, gaoler
Gaoler

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Gaoler wrote:Hi all,

I recently failed the interview/role play for the parole officer competition, but csc did not tell me why or which part of the interview/role play i failed. anybody know anything about the PO comptetition?

thx, gaoler

Goaler,

EMAIL your local recruiting cell and ask them directly.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 5:55 pm

MedTech wrote:

... MOVE....

That's the advice from someone who did just that after getting hired. MOVE. There are commutable distances, and then there are insanity... you're looking at insanity.

yeah, I would have to make insanity work....i have a volunteer commitment i am unwilling to give up...relocation of home address is not an option in order to keep my volunteer commitment

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Gaoler wrote:Hi all,

thx, gaoler

email your recruiter, i think you are allowed to have an informal discussion

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Thu May 26, 2011 8:16 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:
MedTech wrote:

... MOVE....

yeah, I would have to make insanity work....i have a volunteer commitment i am unwilling to give up...relocation of home address is not an option in order to keep my volunteer commitment

Well it must be something extremely worth while that you're willing to drive 2 hrs one way to work. I drove 1.5 hrs one way for work for a bit, trust me it gets old in a hurry and not to mention its very unsafe.

Let's say you have to work at 0700 hrs, you have to get up around 0400 and leave the house bye 0445. You work a 16 hr shift and leave work at 2300 and get home at 0100. That's 21 hrs of awake time, good luck with that buddy, especially during the winter months when your drive time can be extended.

On top of this the cost you'll be incurring in gas will be enormous, you'll pretty much have to work to drive to work....at the end of the day you'll have to decide is this volunteer opportunity really worth it?

If you still think it is, I wish you and everyone on the road around you God speed.....let us know how the drive is in a few months :wave:

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

pdubbu wrote:Well it must be something extremely worth while that you're willing to drive 2 hrs one way to work. I drove 1.5 hrs one way for work for a bit, trust me it gets old in a hurry and not to mention its very unsafe.

Let's say you have to work at 0700 hrs, you have to get up around 0400 and leave the house bye 0445. You work a 16 hr shift and leave work at 2300 and get home at 0100. That's 21 hrs of awake time, good luck with that buddy, especially during the winter months when your drive time can be extended.

On top of this the cost you'll be incurring in gas will be enormous, you'll pretty much have to work to drive to work....at the end of the day you'll have to decide is this volunteer opportunity really worth it?

If you still think it is, I wish you and everyone on the road around you God speed.....let us know how the drive is in a few months :wave:

I've PM'd NTTP, and although in my perspective the experience is not worth it, it maybe different for him/her.

I've laid it out for them, and if they still chose to go through with the craziness, then... well... that's up to them..

Although New To The Place keep this in mind.... IF and that's a big IF you get hired, you maybe required to give up your status with your Volunteer Service. The reason is that you CANNOT be a LEO and do what you do. There is a conflict of interest, especially if you're dealing with someone who you've encountered at work or has a potential to encounter.

Think carefully. Again... do you want to be an unpaid random person... or do you want a career.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Well it must be something extremely worth while that you're willing to drive 2 hrs one way to work. I drove 1.5 hrs one way for work for a bit, trust me it gets old in a hurry and not to mention its very unsafe.

If you still think it is, I wish you and everyone on the road around you God speed.....let us know how the drive is in a few months :wave:[/quote]

yes, I am concerned about my safety on the road too when I first mentioned the drive. I was asking about car pooling. Gas bill...yup...that would suck. Oh, on a side note, as you mentioned the hours... If i just worked a 16 hour shift, Will i still be assigned a shift the next day? or would I have at least 24 hours off after a 16 hour shift?

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm

If i just worked a 16 hour shift, Will i still be assigned a shift the next day? or would I have at least 24 hours off after a 16 hour shift?

No, my family is in this field too and they work 16 and have had to be back at 7 the next morning certain shifts.
Last edited by Fingerscrossed1 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I've PM'd NTTP, and although in my perspective the experience is not worth it, it maybe different for him/her.

I've laid it out for them, and if they still chose to go through with the craziness, then... well... that's up to them..

Although New To The Place keep this in mind.... IF and that's a big IF you get hired, you maybe required to give up your status with your Volunteer Service. The reason is that you CANNOT be a LEO and do what you do. There is a conflict of interest, especially if you're dealing with someone who you've encountered at work or has a potential to encounter.

Think carefully. Again... do you want to be an unpaid random person... or do you want a career.

the conflict of interest part I have not cleared with CSC yet... which I believe I should clear with them asap. My volunteer place do not have an issue with it. CSC deals with indictable offenders mainly (2+ years sentences) while my volunteer organization deals mostly with the 2- years offenders.. As a CO1, I am unsure how much interaction I would be having with offenders... if i am just on static security...there's lesser chance of conflict of interest

summing it up, i better clear it with CSC first and I should not be relying on wishful thinking of how things will turn out...

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Thu May 26, 2011 10:15 pm

If it was an extension of your dayshift of 8 hrs OT then you will have to return the next AM for day shift. If its the scheduled 16 hrs you transition to evening shift the next day. the Keepers realy frown on work one(OT) book one.(sick) As far as the comute goes i'vebeen driving 1hr10 mins to and from Kent for 21 years.You get used to it. I have zero interest in living in Chilliwack Agassiz or even Mission. My off duty friends my extended family all live down my way as well as my wife's employment. And don't even think of suggesting to me to transfer to another joint. I know this one and like working it,plus I'm too close to pension to go learn a new place.

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Fingerscrossed1 wrote:If i just worked a 16 hour shift, Will i still be assigned a shift the next day? or would I have at least 24 hours off after a 16 hour shift?

No, my family is in this field too and they work 16 and have to be back at 7 the next morning.

hmmm... i guess my next recourse would be to rent a place near work... and on my off days, i go do my volunteering while sleeping at my parent's place.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:
Fingerscrossed1 wrote:If i just worked a 16 hour shift, Will i still be assigned a shift the next day? or would I have at least 24 hours off after a 16 hour shift?

No, my family is in this field too and they work 16 and have to be back at 7 the next morning.

hmmm... i guess my next recourse would be to rent a place near work... and on my off days, i go do my volunteering while sleeping at my parent's place.

Do whatever you want. Keep our advice in mind... and seriously... talk to that person before you even do anything else. All this would be for not if that person says "NOPE" and you're now screwed.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER