Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
melgirl_89
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby melgirl_89 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Whitebrown wrote:Hasn't PAC gone back to having recruits list their preference and then have CORE performance be the deciding factor?

Mission just got seven recruits, so I can't see us needing anymore.

I got a list of options and got to choose what I would rather go to. None of the options they gave me were in the region I applied (Manitoba), so I asked why not when that's the only province in PAC region I had applied to. She then told me she would put me on an inventory list for when a position comes up at Stony Mountain, and a month later she emails me and my training dates are confirmed!!
Mel

Turp
Rookie Member

Postby Turp » Sat May 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Just finished writing the Vancouver test, crazy amounts of people at the tests. It must be the terrible economy. Hopefully I did ok!

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat May 14, 2011 5:37 pm

melgirl_89 wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:Hasn't PAC gone back to having recruits list their preference and then have CORE performance be the deciding factor?

Mission just got seven recruits, so I can't see us needing anymore.

I got a list of options and got to choose what I would rather go to. None of the options they gave me were in the region I applied (Manitoba), so I asked why not when that's the only province in PAC region I had applied to. She then told me she would put me on an inventory list for when a position comes up at Stony Mountain, and a month later she emails me and my training dates are confirmed!!

So recruits are putting down their institution preferences when applying now? That's interesting. Probably a good thing I didn't have that option when I went through, otherwise I would have succumbed to peer pressure and ended up at Matsqui, lol.

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Does anyone know if they do more than one test writing, in the kingston area I read thw post and it says 200-250 wrote it seems that they would need more personal then that, even if they all passed. Is the first writing for priority hires etc.

Thanks

crimstudent82
Rookie Member

Postby crimstudent82 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Steve698 wrote:
dude smile wrote:I've been looking at the CSC site and searching this thread but I haven't been able to find an agreed upon answer. What exactly is the vision requirements to be a CO? I recently went for a Lasik consultation and found out I wasn't eligible for the surgery so policing and customs are out of the picture. My vision is 20/20 corrected but 20/200 uncorrected.

I do not know the exact vision requirements, but I recently did my medical a couple of months ago and passed. My vision is not good at all without glasses or contacts. As long as you can see with corrective glasses/contacts you should be fine. If you can see the first big "E" and somehow manage to see the second line of the eye chart without corrective support then you will be fine. I'm pretty confident that if I can pass, then anyone can haha.
You probably should call the recruitment office and ask them though. They would know more than me for sure. Maybe don't mention your name though so they don't know who you are. I don't know if it matters, but just a thought.
Good luck!

Did they test your color vision also? or just eye sight.
Applied to CSC: April. 13. 2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Wrote May. 14.2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Passed Jun.15.2011
Interview: waiting

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Darkhare wrote:Damn, How early do they tell you where you'll be headed?

We have several institutions in the area but one (kent) really isn't an option for me.. I own my place and a 1.5 hour commute would be ridiculous!

Hopefully the person who does your placement has a little more compassion than the fool sitting in the Ontario RHQ!!

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sat May 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Steve698 wrote:
Darkhare wrote:Damn, How early do they tell you where you'll be headed?

We have several institutions in the area but one (kent) really isn't an option for me.. I own my place and a 1.5 hour commute would be ridiculous!

They tell you before you start CTP. You get an email asking you if you want to start CTP for a specific institution. In my case, it said Edmonton. If you don't want to go to the desired institution you can do a couple of things. First, you can try contacted the recruitment office in your area (PAC regional recruitment HQ for you) and tell them the situation. Ask them if there is another place you could be considered for. I know a couple of people off of the top of my head who did this and it worked out in their favour. The worst they can say is no. You can also simply reply to the email or call them saying that you would like to know when the next core is going through for another institution and if you could possibly get on that core. Just because they email you and ASK you if you want to start CTP, it doesn't mean that you have to go to that place. You can take a chance and wait to be contacted again for another institution. Bottom line is, you don't have to go to the institution they specified, but there might not be another opportunity for another while. You can always transfer somewhere else after a year anyway.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

In Ontario they don't tell you until the grad date of CTP, which is completely bass-ackwards. You are asked to put together a list of your top three choices, and they try to accommodate those preferences, but at the end of the day, they do whatever the hell they want. Be prepared to work where they tell you, at least until your first year is up, and then you can add yourself to the waiting list for the institution you want to go to (based on seniority).

It's just one of those things you have to put up with, if you want the job. We have people working at KP that are from the Maritimes, that went through CTP in Ontario, and are planning to deploy out east after their first year.

Now *that's* a commute, and I admire their commitment (and that of their families back east) to the job.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat May 14, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote="SupahDuckIt's just one of those things you have to put up with, if you want the job. We have people working at KP that are from the Maritimes, that went through CTP in Ontario, and are planning to deploy out east after their first year.

Now *that's* a commute, and I admire their commitment (and that of their families back east) to the job.[/quote]

I'm out in BC, two officers that work in my unit did CTP in Ontario but were sent out here. I've also heard that the seven new recruits we have are all from Ontario as well.

Lynks
Rookie Member

Postby Lynks » Sat May 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Turp wrote:Just finished writing the Vancouver test, crazy amounts of people at the tests. It must be the terrible economy. Hopefully I did ok!

I also wrote the test today and couldn't believe how many people there were! 3 lecture halls with 160 seats in each, all nearly full. Good luck to us! :thumbsup:

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Sun May 15, 2011 1:49 am

I wrote the tests today in the PAC region as well and our administrator said there was approximately 400 people testing today, 3 rooms with about 150 total in each room. Packed for the InHouse exam and less in the WCPT exam. But definately alot of people. I hope i did well enough to get through to the interviews. :)
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

mgd
Rookie Member

Postby mgd » Sun May 15, 2011 2:11 am

graingirl wrote:I wrote the tests today in the PAC region as well and our administrator said there was approximately 400 people testing today, 3 rooms with about 150 total in each room. Packed for the InHouse exam and less in the WCPT exam. But definately alot of people. I hope i did well enough to get through to the interviews. :)

I wrote the tests as well and there were alot of people writing today (PAC). I hope CSC is hiring alot of people :),

Does anyone know how many CSC is looking to hire from the April 2011 pool?
Applied CSC April 13, 2011
WCPT & In-House Exam May 14, 2011
Passed WCPT & In-House Exam June 15, 2011
Interviewed July 08, 2011
References Checked July 21, 2011
Medical July 25, 2011
CTP Invite August 22, 2011

FrankCastle
Rookie Member

Postby FrankCastle » Sun May 15, 2011 3:39 am

mgd wrote:
graingirl wrote:I wrote the tests today in the PAC region as well and our administrator said there was approximately 400 people testing today, 3 rooms with about 150 total in each room. Packed for the InHouse exam and less in the WCPT exam. But definately alot of people. I hope i did well enough to get through to the interviews. :)

I wrote the tests as well and there were alot of people writing today (PAC). I hope CSC is hiring alot of people :),

Does anyone know how many CSC is looking to hire from the April 2011 pool?

While I can't give you an exact number I can tell you that a number of factors bode well for CSC hiring alot of new officers.

- elimination of stat release and time served during trial (2 for 1, or 3 for 1 I can't remember) means longer sentences, more inmates requires more officers.
- Construction is underway (slowly) for a new 96 man unit at Kent institution which will require more officers to staff.
- There is talk of going back to two CX2's in the living units, alot of CX1's going up acting/substantive, will require people to fill their spots.

Just be patient and stay positive.

For me from applying to actually starting work (off OJT) was probably almost 2 years, you'd have to believe they've sped up the process just a little bit.

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 am

So I assume its normal to wait a very long time before hearing anything after application?

Tkxx

:D
KCCO

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 am

Good to see that we are getting more hired line officers signing up on Blueline to assist the recruits. Those of us that have been out of recruitment for a while now have little relation to the current standards/processes.
Very good. But brick not hit back!