Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Steve698
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Steve698 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:43 pm

JrPI wrote:Sorry I guess I stated the question wrong. I did not want to know what is on the test. I have little experience with firearms and I am worried about the failure rate at CTP. Being in my 40's; I am mature, respectful hard worker...but I am concerned about my lack of knowledge with Corrections and firearms. It would be extremely disappointing and humiliating to fail the process.
Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to a career change but the risk of failure vs success makes me nervous.
Are there normally a lot of mature persons in there 40 - 50 range in training?

I am currently in Stage 3 of training with a class size of 20. Out of the 20, I would estimate close to half of them are around 40-50. The instructors even said that they had a student who was 61 not too long ago, so do not worry about the age at all. You will fit right in.
Last edited by Steve698 on Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve698
Rookie Member

Postby Steve698 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 pm

melgirl_89 wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone who has been to the staff college in Saskatoon who could PM me as I have some questions about the facilities/accommodations, and I'd really appreciate speaking to someone who has been there.

Thanks so much!

When are you supposed to start Stage 3 in Saskatoon? You should receive an email with "Joining Instructions" for Stage 3. It should answer most or all of the questions you have such as where you are staying, when to arrive, meal accommodations, transportation, etc. I feel your pain though. Everything seems very confusing and last minute information. You'll get used to not knowing things ahead of time haha.
Which institution are you assigned to?

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 pm

JrPI wrote:Sorry I guess I stated the question wrong. I did not want to know what is on the test. I have little experience with firearms and I am worried about the failure rate at CTP. Being in my 40's; I am mature, respectful hard worker...but I am concerned about my lack of knowledge with Corrections and firearms. It would be extremely disappointing and humiliating to fail the process.
Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to a career change but the risk of failure vs success makes me nervous.

It's been said already in the last 10 or so pages of this thread, but you do NOT need previous experience with firearms.

The instructors *PREFER* to have people who've never touched a gun before, so that they don't have to help them UNLEARN "bad" habits (bad in the sense that they don't adhere to CSC's policies regarding firearms, not necessarily that they're wrong or unsafe).

All you need to bring to the table is a healthy respect for the piece of metal in your hands, knowing that it's a tool, and by that stage of CTP, you'll also be aware of your legal responsibilities in using it. Don't be afraid of it.......

As for your age, well, I just turned 40 in December, and I've got four years in the Service as of two weeks ago. Still a newbie, that's for sure....

Don't sweat it too much, you've got the right attitude!

Failure rates are misleading, simply because of the small class sizes. Some classes fail more than others, and at different parts of CTP each time...... there's no consistency to it, because each person that fails out, does so for their own reasons.

Like MedTech has said, keep your ears and mind open, and put some effort into it, and you'll be fine.

This is not a profession that you want to take for granted, because that sort of attitude will get you and your co-workers hurt.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm

SupahDuck wrote:

It's been said already in the last 10 or so pages of this thread, but you do NOT need previous experience with firearms.

MOST OF THE QUESTIONS/ANSWERS HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED MORE THAN ONCE IN THIS THREAD.

PEOPLE NEED TO USE THE 'SEARCH' OR HAVE A READ BACK A FEW PAGES BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE SOMETHING NEW BEING DISCUSSED/ADDRESSED INSTEAD OF "WHAT IS THE 3 STRIKE RULE, WHAT DOES THE FIREARM TEST CONSIST OF".

røly
Rookie Member

Postby røly » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm writing my tests on Monday. I am as prepared as i think i can be but still a bit nervous. =)

Monday needs to hurry up and get here.

portystylz
Rookie Member

Postby portystylz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Since the firearms topic is being destroyed here I just wanted to ask a quick question lol.....it doesn't really have to do with the training but more so the actualy firearms, as of what I know it consists of the handgun, two rifles and the shotgun what my question is have they removed the shotgun from the training and introduced the new rifle as of yet or is that something that is still in the air :?:

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 pm

portystylz wrote:Since the firearms topic is being destroyed here I just wanted to ask a quick question lol.....it doesn't really have to do with the training but more so the actualy firearms, as of what I know it consists of the handgun, two rifles and the shotgun what my question is have they removed the shotgun from the training and introduced the new rifle as of yet or is that something that is still in the air :?:

Nope, you still get trained on the 9mm H&K P2000 handgun, AR-15 9mm carbine and .223 rifle, and the Remington 870 pump-action shotgun.

They are working on getting the Colt C8 (AR-15 style, chambered in .223, but with a shorter barrel, 16" I think) to replace both our existing models of AR-15. Functionally they're pretty much the same guns in terms of safety location and other user mechanics, so don't worry about having to learn a new gun all over again.

It's going to be at least another year (maybe 2) before you see the C8 on a CTP or in an institution. At least that's what our armouries officer at KP is saying.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Striker wrote:JrPI..shooting is more mental then physical skill. Most of the problem children I deal with on the range psych themselves out because of various reasons.
Bad experience with a gun, pressure put on themselves (like you are doing), male ego...
Walk into the training with the expectation that you are going to learn a new skill, have a blast doing it and believe that you will pass.
As an instructor our biggest concern is safety..take everything the instructors say to heart,relax, practice the drills every chance you can, relax, read the handouts, relax, remember to breath, relax.
Just before you squeeze the trigger..the front sight should be crystal clear, rear sight and target blurry..for every shot. ;)
That is your free advice. Any more is going to cost you beer! :drinking:

Yeah, what he said. If I can do it, having never handled a gun before CTP, then so can you. :D :thumbsup: :wave:

portystylz
Rookie Member

Postby portystylz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
portystylz wrote:Since the firearms topic is being destroyed here I just wanted to ask a quick question lol.....it doesn't really have to do with the training but more so the actualy firearms, as of what I know it consists of the handgun, two rifles and the shotgun what my question is have they removed the shotgun from the training and introduced the new rifle as of yet or is that something that is still in the air :?:

Nope, you still get trained on the 9mm H&K P2000 handgun, AR-15 9mm carbine and .223 rifle, and the Remington 870 pump-action shotgun.

They are working on getting the Colt C8 (AR-15 style, chambered in .223, but with a shorter barrel, 16" I think) to replace both our existing models of AR-15. Functionally they're pretty much the same guns in terms of safety location and other user mechanics, so don't worry about having to learn a new gun all over again.

It's going to be at least another year (maybe 2) before you see the C8 on a CTP or in an institution. At least that's what our armouries officer at KP is saying.

Sweet!! good to know... and ya the C8 is very similar to the AR-15, would be nice if they came with a grip and a red dot rather than stock :P

portystylz
Rookie Member

Postby portystylz » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

portystylz wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:

Don't know if we are allowed to post links up in here or not but check out the picture of this AR-15.....pretty sure inmates would just laugh if we pulled this out :P

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/hell ... hotoshopp/

Sweet!! good to know... and ya the C8 is very similar to the AR-15, would be nice if they came with a grip and a red dot rather than stock :P

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a question about CTP...it states that it is unpaid training which i am cool with, however i have heard from someone i work with as i work in the Public Service already i will be paid while this training is going on because a job offer will not be offered until i have completed the training? Can anybody comment on that, like i said i am ok either way, i am just wondering if it is a rumour or misinformation that being advised.
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 pm

MedTech wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:hi guys and girls,

I have 2 questions if anyone would be so kind to reply to.

1. anyone know where i can get good comfortable up to standard boots in the lower mainland for stage3/institution? what's a good store with the right brands (danner,5.1, magnum)?

2. I have worries about the firearms component of stage 3, I heard people get kicked off CTP if they fail firearms. I have 0 experience with firearms. Is there any range I can go to practice in advance?

thanks !!

1) Where to get boots in PAC Region has been discussed before. M.D Charlton, DS Tactical, Work Authority, 3 Vets etc etc.

2) You'll be kicked off if you fail academically... did you read my post prior to this page? It broke down the re-test policy. Forget about practicing if you don't know how to shoot already. It's easier to learn from the Instructors if you're a blank slate. I wasn't... it showed on my scores but it also hindered me, because the way they teach firearms is different from how I was initially taught. 2 weeks vs 13 weeks of instruction is VERY different.

1. thanks, md charlton and ds tactical got a great selection of boots...a further question...how important is wet/cold weather protection (for the boots)?

2. sorry, when you mean they broke down the re-test policy, you mean there is now NO retest policy for firearms?

ladybug
Rookie Member

Postby ladybug » Thu May 12, 2011 10:58 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:
MedTech wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:hi guys and girls,

I have 2 questions if anyone would be so kind to reply to.

1. anyone know where i can get good comfortable up to standard boots in the lower mainland for stage3/institution? what's a good store with the right brands (danner,5.1, magnum)?

2. I have worries about the firearms component of stage 3, I heard people get kicked off CTP if they fail firearms. I have 0 experience with firearms. Is there any range I can go to practice in advance?

thanks !!

1) Where to get boots in PAC Region has been discussed before. M.D Charlton, DS Tactical, Work Authority, 3 Vets etc etc.

2) You'll be kicked off if you fail academically... did you read my post prior to this page? It broke down the re-test policy. Forget about practicing if you don't know how to shoot already. It's easier to learn from the Instructors if you're a blank slate. I wasn't... it showed on my scores but it also hindered me, because the way they teach firearms is different from how I was initially taught. 2 weeks vs 13 weeks of instruction is VERY different.

1. thanks, md charlton and ds tactical got a great selection of boots...a further question...how important is wet/cold weather protection (for the boots)?

2. sorry, when you mean they broke down the re-test policy, you mean there is now NO retest policy for firearms?

Wet/cold depends on the region, Sometimes you are walking around the perimeter in a foot of snow...

There is a retest policy for firearms. MedTech was saying to refer to a couple pages before this and the restest policy was fully broke down in detail and how it works.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 am

TypeK wrote:LOL! medtech lol! "I will not discuss the test itself..." oh please! sounds like your morals are intact lol! you sure you're in the right profession? :evil: what institution do you work at?

My morals are indeed intact. Why would my profession have any bearing on whether or not I'm morally intact? You are either moral & ethical or you're not. Then there's operationally required adjustments that occur from time to time... but then again... I do work in a..... I'll tell you this, my institution # has 5 #s in it :twisted:
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER