Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:26 am

To re-iterate what UmmaGumma and the1captain have said:

The instructors on CTP do a great job taking you from "no experience with guns, never touched one in my life" to "competence and familiarity with the firearms I require for my job", in the space of two weeks.

Having never touched a firearm before in my life, before CTP (with the exception of a .22 competition pistol one afternoon), I can say from firsthand experience that you don't need any "pre-training" for the firearms portion.

More to the point, the procedures you get graded on during CTP (such as the 7-point and 5-point safety, as well as other procedures) are CSC-specific, and it's best you learn those procedures first, rather than confusing the issue with other third-party training procedures.

Like the1captain said, the instructors prefer to have someone they can train from the ground up, it means the recruit doesn't have to unlearn everything they've picked up before joining CSC.

That being said, once you've passed CTP, I'm sure all of us would highly encourage you to begin some sort of firearms practicing / training, keeping in mind the unique requirements of CSC. Get your PAL, join a club, and put lots of rounds down range, if that's what interests you. Not the cheapest hobby in the world, but we get *NO* practice time after CTP, other than the 1 or 2 warm-up rounds during our annual re-cert. Any instructor on here will tell you that's not enough.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am

CSC hearing and vision requirements

During the training you aren't granted any "certificates", you pass or fail that's it. You aren't given any extra practice to shoot the firearm besides dry fire and safe handling. You'll have at least two practice rounds at the course of fire before you have your test though.

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:41 am

Hi. do you know what the course of fire is exactly. I've done it in qualifications when I lived stateside.
If memory serves correctly. 3 rounds at 25m 3 rounds at 15m 3 rounds at 10m 3at 5m and 3 at3m
I forget what the score had to be?

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 am

pplying to Correctional Service Canada
by pdubbu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 am

CSC hearing and vision requirements

During the training you aren't granted any "certificates", you pass or fail that's it. You aren't given any extra practice to shoot the firearm besides dry fire and safe handling. You'll have at least two practice rounds at the course of fire before you have your test though.
pdubbu

Private messageE-mail pdubbu

I liked that hearing and vision requirements. It might be very hard for some to pass though.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 am

tk401 wrote:Hi. do you know what the course of fire is exactly. I've done it in qualifications when I lived stateside.
If memory serves correctly. 3 rounds at 25m 3 rounds at 15m 3 rounds at 10m 3at 5m and 3 at3m
I forget what the score had to be?

There are 4 firearms and 4 different course of fire....be a little more specific dude.

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am

sorry, I guess a little more info would be helpful. I am just looking for ballpark info on passing quals. And beside the h&k 9
what other firearms do you qualify with. I ve already done s&w 9mm and 40 cal. Reaminton shotgun and the wonderful pepper spray test.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

pdubbu wrote:CSC hearing and vision requirements

Sorry, I didn't mean that one would get a piece of paper they can put on the wall. I should have stated the question more of "Is there a chance to practice a component..."
K division.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 pm

tk401 wrote:sorry, I guess a little more info would be helpful. I am just looking for ballpark info on passing quals. And beside the h&k 9
what other firearms do you qualify with. I ve already done s&w 9mm and 40 cal. Reaminton shotgun and the wonderful pepper spray test.

The firearms that CSC currently uses are:

- the H&K P2000 pistol in 9mm (variant 5, which is Double-action only (DAO), trigger pull of 36 N (8.1 lbf) (±3 N))
- the Colt AR-15 carbine in 9mm (for urban armed towers and internal armed posts)
- the Colt AR-15 rifle in .223 (for non-urban armed towers)
- the Remington 870 pump-action shotgun in 12-gauge (used for riot suppression, perimeter control, and other armed posts)

Those are the four you'll train on at CTP. They also cover our gas guns (37mm if I remember correctly), but there's not much to them.

Not all institutions use all of the above firearms, but you'll train and qualify on all four regardless.

The courses of fire for each firearm vary (the H&K distances are 3, 7, 15 and 25 yards, whereas the .223 AR-15 is 100 yards only, for example), but I don't know if it's allowed to discuss the full details of each course of fire on a public forum.

Suffice it to say that if you keep your ears open, and take guidance from your firearms instructors on how to improve your shots, you'll do just fine. As long as you're not deathly afraid of the "BANG!", and you respect the firearms as the tools that they are, then you'll be in the right mindset to pass without problem.

:pistols:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm

The courses of fire for each firearm vary (the H&K distances are 3, 7, 15 and 25 yards, whereas the .223 AR-15 is 100 yards only, for example), but I don't know if it's allowed to discuss the full details of each course of fire on a public forum.

Can't be any worse than this guy posting our firearms manual all over the internet.

http://www.cancrime.com/2011/04/01/shoo ... -the-book/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52106128/Conf ... on-service

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:16 pm

All I see in that article is "guards", blah blah, "guards"...."guards"....here have an internal model of our use of force options....
Very good. But brick not hit back!

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

To those of you stressing over the fire arms section ot CTP, I offer this advice "STOP IT RIGHT NOW" I am a Fire Arms Instructor and have taught several CTP sessions.

You will be taught the basic principles of marksmanship. You wil be taught safe handling and Immediate action drill to OUR National training standards. If you listen ,practice when given the chance during range classes annd apply the princeples of marksmanship as you shoot the courses of fire you WILL pass.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:29 pm

smarshall wrote:To those of you stressing over the fire arms section ot CTP, I offer this advice "STOP IT RIGHT NOW" I am a Fire Arms Instructor and have taught several CTP sessions.

You will be taught the basic principles of marksmanship. You wil be taught safe handling and Immediate action drill to OUR National training standards. If you listen ,practice when given the chance during range classes annd apply the princeples of marksmanship as you shoot the courses of fire you WILL pass.

Yah, what he said. :D

You don't need to practice beforehand, nor have any previous experience with guns. It's actually quite a bit of fun once you get the basics down, because you have the opportunity for informal competitions with your CTP mates as to who can get the highest score! :D

tk401
Rookie Member

Postby tk401 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like no worries
Thanks

goapp
Rookie Member

Postby goapp » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Could someone more mature than a monkey please advise regarding the hearing requirements for CO. Thanks.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm

goapp wrote:Could someone more mature than a monkey please advise regarding the hearing requirements for CO. Thanks.

I'm only a bit more mature than a gorilla, and I've got the hair to prove it! :D

There's a hearing test that you need to get done before CTP by an audiologist, but that's all part of the medical. As to the detailed specific requirements of how much hearing loss is acceptable, I'd definitely recommend speaking to a recruiting officer about that. I don't think any of us here are going to be much help.

That being said, one of my fellow officers at work wears a hearing aid. As long as you're able to hear properly on the job (with or without assistance), you should be ok.