Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Federal CO

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Federal CO » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Meh OT shouldn't be factored into that calculation due having to force yourself to work more hours. I have no interest in being a PO but a 9-5 monday-friday schedule sounds bliss compared to the shift work grind.
Very good. But brick not hit back!

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Federal CO wrote:Meh OT shouldn't be factored into that calculation due having to force yourself to work more hours. I have no interest in being a PO but a 9-5 monday-friday schedule sounds bliss compared to the shift work grind.

Maybe I'm just a strange brew, but I LOATHE the 9-5 m-f hours that I currently work. I can't wait to get into the CX grind and start putting in the shift work. Routine is just that...plain, boring old routine.

Although, I'm guessing about a few years into it and I'll be crying for bankers hours :lol:
Giggity giggity goo!

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:14 pm

To each there own.

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Anyone know if there is a validity period for the medical? Like, will it ever expire? Starting to lose my mind over not hearing about training dates, or anything :twitch: It's only been since the end of Feb, but I'm eager! Haha
Giggity giggity goo!

mtljoe82
Rookie Member

Postby mtljoe82 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:39 pm

The medical is good for 1 year. Tust me I know. By the time I finished CTP a year had passed since my medical and I had to go have it done again before I could start working. :banghead:
Dec. 19th 2008- Applied to CSC
Jun. 3rd 2009- Values interview- PASSED
Jul. 1st 2009- Medical-PASSED
Sept. 29th 2009 Role play - PASSED
Jan. 25th 2010-Online training-PASSED
Mar. 29th 2010-CTP- PASSED
Jun. 7th 2010-OJT- PASSED
Sept. 20th 2010- HIRED!!!!

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Striker wrote:
RookieToBe wrote:
Federal CO wrote:Meh OT shouldn't be factored into that calculation due having to force yourself to work more hours. I have no interest in being a PO but a 9-5 monday-friday schedule sounds bliss compared to the shift work grind.

Maybe I'm just a strange brew, but I LOATHE the 9-5 m-f hours that I currently work. I can't wait to get into the CX grind and start putting in the shift work. Routine is just that...plain, boring old routine.

Although, I'm guessing about a few years into it and I'll be crying for bankers hours :lol:

I've been doing the shift work thing for 14 years and the thought of working 8-4 mon to fri makes me gag!

LOL I love shift work yes the 16s i do suck but for most of the time im out the door by 3pm. :wave:

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 am

RE: the PO vs. CX debate......

If you're looking for a 9-5 schedule, and are considering the PO angle for that, you're in the wrong business, my friend.

The workload of a PO is a wee bit more than 9-5, not too mention the stress of being legally on the hook for your decisions regarding your caseload. Not to mention that the pay is not all that good (WP-4, if I remember correctly).

CX is shift work, period. You will not have every weekend off, and you will be working evenings and/or midnights. They even say as much on the CTP application. This should be no surprise to you, and you should be prepared to put in your time.

Being a PO requires a university degree, and because of that, we've had a few people parachute in off the street after writing the PO competition, who've had absolutely no operational experience on the inside. Needless to say, they didn't last long, mostly because they had absolutely no frame of reference for what was required of them.

If you do indeed plan on becoming a PO at some point in the future, then at the very least do your homework on what the position actually entails! That raise you heard rumours about...... it's just rumours. CX's got a hell of a better raise with our last contract than the PO's ever did. CX-1 or CX-2 vs. WP-4 (Welfare Programmes 4) are within 6-8K of each other, across the board. DEFINITELY not worth the extra stress, unless you have a calling for it.

When my fellow CX's are telling you that you'll need time in before making a *change* like that, they're right. The better PO's that I've see are the ones that worked their way up through the ranks, and gained a full understanding of the basics of case management and institutional operation. It made them far more effective PO's, mostly because they knew the people they were dealing with on a daily basis (and by that I mean staff).

That's why, after four years in the service, I've only just become a CX-2, and I plan to be at that level for a few years at least, learning the ins and outs of case management from my peers and other members of the case management team (PO's, Unit Managers, Keepers, SIO's, etc). Then and only then will I feel ready to move on to the next stage in my career.

*shrug* To each their own, I guess..... just be aware that we work in a people business, and in a career as demanding and complex as this one, you're not going to pick up on everything overnight. You will need to develop and grow as a person before you'll be ready for something as rigorous as being a PO.

:mrgreen:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm

SupahDuck: That's one well written essay you got there. :shock: Thanks for the info. :D

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple months now (Hello everyone! :wave:) and have applied for a few different positions within CSC. Now that I have an understanding of the difference between CX and PO. :P A little off topic...but could someone explain what the nature of work for an administrative assistant to the deputy warden would be? Admin stuff obviously, but what kind of things would you be dealing with in that position?

PS: If this is the wrong thread to be posting in let me know. I wasn't sure if I should post here or start a new one. :?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Fides wrote:SupahDuck: That's one well written essay you got there. :shock: Thanks for the info. :D

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple months now (Hello everyone! :wave:) and have applied for a few different positions within CSC. Now that I have an understanding of the difference between CX and PO. :P A little off topic...but could someone explain what the nature of work for an administrative assistant to the deputy warden would be? Admin stuff obviously, but what kind of things would you be dealing with in that position?

PS: If this is the wrong thread to be posting in let me know. I wasn't sure if I should post here or start a new one. :?

Admin assistants to the DW's are CR-4's, with the exception of the Warden's Assistant, who is an AS-1. Shit pay all around, and absolutely no hope of career advancement (i.e. there's nowhere to promote to, just lateral to another DW or Warden).

The nature of your work depends on the DW you're working for: Interventions (Programs), Deputy Warden and Assistant Warden Operations (operations, duh), and AWMS (Assistant Warden Management Services, which is a catchall for everything else in the prison - kitchen, finance, works department, heating plant, admin and clerical staff, and so on).

Being an admin assistant is a thankless job, but at least at our joint, we have people that seem to enjoy the challenge.

</essay> :mrgreen:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Admin assistant = sending decisions from the smart people to us lowly underlings via email :wave:

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Admin assistant = clerk/secretary , mostly women, low pay memebers of PSAC.. mind you a good clerk is worth their weight in gold as they can make or break a manager

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 am

SupahDuck wrote:
Fides wrote:SupahDuck: That's one well written essay you got there. :shock: Thanks for the info. :D

Admin assistants to the DW's are CR-4's, with the exception of the Warden's Assistant, who is an AS-1. Shit pay all around, and absolutely no hope of career advancement (i.e. there's nowhere to promote to, just lateral to another DW or Warden).

The nature of your work depends on the DW you're working for: Interventions (Programs), Deputy Warden and Assistant Warden Operations (operations, duh), and AWMS (Assistant Warden Management Services, which is a catchall for everything else in the prison - kitchen, finance, works department, heating plant, admin and clerical staff, and so on).

Being an admin assistant is a thankless job, but at least at our joint, we have people that seem to enjoy the challenge.

</essay> :mrgreen:

Thanks for your reply. :D I didn't know that DWs had different functions within a prison. That's pretty interesting. It would probably be a great learning experience to have an opportunity to work for different DWs to get a sense of the inner workings of a prison. (Do they get to rotate to different DWs or are they assigned to one?) As for career advancement...well :(( Maybe advance somewhere else down the road... :lol:
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am

To know how a prison works ya gotta be a CO, that is the only way 8)

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 am

Federal CO wrote:Admin assistant = sending decisions from the smart people to us lowly underlings via email :wave:

Very Funny :P You underlings are the ones that make the place run the way it's designed to. ;)