Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
tbone
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby tbone » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:10 pm

That's what I had heard... thanks, Striker.

Delancey 37
Rookie Member

Postby Delancey 37 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 pm

We are about to lose several good people to CSC, they are very interested in experienced people. No pay during training, but you are put in a nice hotel and use the facility's right there. Early retirement is what everybody is after, more opportunities are also available with them. Am sad to see the really good people go, it allways ends up like that. But am happy for them too.

P.S. Hope you all are spending time with family and friends this holiday season and less time on the floor :D
Pain Is Temporary, Pride Is Forever.

Mississauga86
Rookie Member

Postby Mississauga86 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Hey fellas

When applying to federal corrections, do you just go to the official website, pick out the region you wish to work in and shoot away your resume + cover letter to the email provided? Thanks ahead

Barricade
Rookie Member

Postby Barricade » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 am

I applied May 1st 2008, Got the Package, sent in everything plus more,

But I'm wondering if I should give them a shout and ask them whats going on. I haven't heard from anyone about it...Just a confirmation saying they have received my stuff.

Pourqui?

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:11 am

Barricade wrote:I applied May 1st 2008, Got the Package, sent in everything plus more,

But I'm wondering if I should give them a shout and ask them whats going on. I haven't heard from anyone about it...Just a confirmation saying they have received my stuff.

Pourqui?

They've had at least 3 or 4 classes go through since may. Another competition was posted recently. Couldn't hurt to give recruitment a call.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

abbey92
Rookie Member

Postby abbey92 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi All,

I am fairly new to this site. I have been lurking for some time, reading and reading and reading. I have some questions for any Alberta Correctional Officers out there, any in the Edmonton area would even be better.

I do not have a diploma in Criminal Justice, or anything else for that matter. I have taken some post-secondary courses: ie. Anatomy, Microbiology, Psychology, and Intro Accounting, just to name a few. I also took my EMT-A back in 2000 and worked as an EMT-A for about a year and a half before moving up north to work in Fort McMurray as a heavy equipment operator.

Anyway, I have always wanted to work in the corrections field but for some stupid reason allowed my family to talk me out of going ahead with it -- they feel it is a crappy field to work in.

FINALLY TO MY QUESTIONS ---

~ do I have a chance in hell of ever getting on as a CO with what I have or do I need to take more education -- and if I do need to take more education, does it have to be the Criminal Justice Diploma? I have seen in job postings that some people have been accepted without some of these qualifications pending getting a satisfactory score on the PSC test -- does anyone actually know of someone that had that opportunity and was successful?

~ what could I do that would help my chances of being considered for a position as a CO?

~ how intense is the physical testing - and what exactly is involved - is it similar to the PARE?

~ if you get accepted to attend the CTP - did I hear correctly that you are not paid while in the program? How long is it? How intense is that? Is it only after completion of this program that an offer of employment is given?

I am sure I have more questions, but will leave it at that for now. I look forward to any information and/or advice that you all can offer.

CX-II

tbone
Rookie Member

Postby tbone » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey Striker (or anyone else who can jump in on this question)... I know shift work is part of the job, but I'm curious about a couple of things...

First, how does the rotation work? Does it cycle? (i.e., you work days one week, evenings the next, graveyards the next and then repeat) Or do you stick with one shift for a set period of time?

Second, I had heard CSC was 5 on, 2 off, but someone recently told me it was a 4 and 4. Which one is it?

Finally, how far in advance are schedules usually determined? Are we talking days, months, or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks again!

PaladinPup

Postby PaladinPup » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:22 am

tbone wrote:Hey Striker (or anyone else who can jump in on this question)... I know shift work is part of the job, but I'm curious about a couple of things...

First, how does the rotation work? Does it cycle? (i.e., you work days one week, evenings the next, graveyards the next and then repeat) Or do you stick with one shift for a set period of time?

Second, I had heard CSC was 5 on, 2 off, but someone recently told me it was a 4 and 4. Which one is it?

Finally, how far in advance are schedules usually determined? Are we talking days, months, or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks again!

Every Insitution is different, as is every unit within an institution. Some common ones are 7 on 3 off, 7 on, 4 off, (all 8 hour shifts rotating days, eve, nights). It sucks. Most new people are on this one at my jail.

I am on a 12 hour rotation now. 2 on, 2 off, with a 3 on or off alternating each week. We get every other weekend off and get this...every 8 weeks I get 9 DAYS OFF! That's no stating off, no vacation, and no sick leave. Sweet...but a little hard to get.

CX2s, the next rank up, have a horrible schedule of 3 on, 2 off, 9 hours, 16 hours, and then again 9 hours. They get 7 days off every 8 weeks, but no thanks...they can keep the few Gs more they get a year for that schedule.

There are more, but schedules are adapted to the needs of the institution.

Everyone gets their schedule a year in advance. After a while you know the rotation by heart.

Good luck.

PP
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
(Be patient and tough; one day this pain will be useful to you)
- Ovid

tbone
Rookie Member

Postby tbone » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks PP and Striker, sounds clear as mud ;)

That's exactly the info I was looking for, I really appreciate the replies.