Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mike101
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Mike101 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Relocation assistance

Just curious if anyone can chime in on this topic.

Just curious how the relocation assistance is provided. Is it a reimbursement down the road at some point or is there an advance given when leaving CORE?

Thanks

sd333
Rookie Member

Postby sd333 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Chillykb19 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 am
sd333 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Do people take video games, dvds etc to training at Kingston? I imagine you're pretty busy with homework and studying but I'm sure there's some down time to fill. Especially now due to covid.
Some fellow recruits and I spent many an hour playing Super nintendo before one of us bought a Raspberry Pi and fully loaded it up. We saved a fortune and still had time to study on the weekends thanks to those video games.
Awesome! I guess I'll be taking my SNES mini to blow off some steam :)

sarval222
Rookie Member

Postby sarval222 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 am

Hey guys!!

A new member joining the form, been actively creeping it for sometime but now decided to join!
Sorry if my format for this is all off, still getting the hang of it. I'm currently finish the majority of the process for my application for CX2, I am currently just waiting for CTP. My choices are Ontario (Kitchener Grand Valley Institution) and Nova Scotia (Truro Institution). Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about CTP for these areas? Anyone else in the same boat as me waiting for an offer?

celticfigz17
Rookie Member

Postby celticfigz17 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Any information on if Pacific Region will be doing another hiring soon?

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:25 am

Mike101 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm
Relocation assistance

Just curious how the relocation assistance is provided. Is it a reimbursement down the road at some point or is there an advance given when leaving CORE?

Thanks

“Is it a reimbursement down the road at some point or is there an advance given when leaving CORE? “

It is a combination of both “advanced given” (80% or 90%) and “reimbursement” (20% or 10%) . When I was in the core, you had to be successful on all the firearm qualifications prior to starting relocation process (passing the firearm portion means you are highly likely to graduate from the training successfully).

The relocation process is NOT administrated by CSC, it is conducted by a private firm called BGRS (Brookfield Global Relocation Service), they perform relocation service for many (or even ALL) government of Canada employees (CSC, CAF, etc).
Once your relocation account is successfully created, you will soon receive 80% or 90% of your relocation allowance, for this portion, you are encouraged to keep ALL your relocation expenses receipts as they MAY ask for some proof in future (prior to finalize your total claim).
Upon completion of your relocation and submitting all the documents BGRS request, you will be granted the last 10% or 20% of relocation allowance.

You will be given complete instructions during the core and there should be a relocation information session ( voice conference with BGRS representative), you will have a clear idea about the process after the info session.
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

GPSM604
Rookie Member

Postby GPSM604 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:26 am

How is the firearms training? Is it pretty challenging?
ygu31 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:25 am
Mike101 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm
Relocation assistance

Thanks

“Is it a reimbursement down the road at some point or is there an advance given when leaving CORE? “

It is a combination of both “advanced given” (80% or 90%) and “reimbursement” (20% or 10%) . When I was in the core, you had to be successful on all the firearm qualifications prior to starting relocation process (passing the firearm portion means you are highly likely to graduate from the training successfully).

The relocation process is NOT administrated by CSC, it is conducted by a private firm called BGRS (Brookfield Global Relocation Service), they perform relocation service for many (or even ALL) government of Canada employees (CSC, CAF, etc).
Once your relocation account is successfully created, you will soon receive 80% or 90% of your relocation allowance, for this portion, you are encouraged to keep ALL your relocation expenses receipts as they MAY ask for some proof in future (prior to finalize your total claim).
Upon completion of your relocation and submitting all the documents BGRS request, you will be granted the last 10% or 20% of relocation allowance.

You will be given complete instructions during the core and there should be a relocation information session ( voice conference with BGRS representative), you will have a clear idea about the process after the info session.
Applied: 11/19
Interview & References: 03/20
Security Documents: 03/20
CTP 1: 03/20
Psych Evaluation: 06/20
Psych Interview: 07/20
Fingerprints: 07/20
Security Questionnaire: 07/20
Medical Assessment: 07/20
CTP 2/3: Pending

Generic Prison Guard
Rookie Member

Postby Generic Prison Guard » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 am

Firearms training isn't too hard. Just do exactly what they tell you and you'll do just fine.

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Generic Prison Guard wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 am
Firearms training isn't too hard. Just do exactly what they tell you and you'll do just fine.
Is this the same as PAL training?

Generic Prison Guard
Rookie Member

Postby Generic Prison Guard » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Blue sky wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:19 pm
No, not even close. It is a lot of shooting and manipulations of the weapons. It is pretty rigorous for someone even who has experience with firearms, but it is by no means impossible. That being said, if you do have experience with firearms, do what the instructors tell you, they're grading you within the CSC framework, not what you "already know".

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 am

Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:34 pm
Blue sky wrote:
No, not even close. It is a lot of shooting and manipulations of the weapons. It is pretty rigorous for someone even who has experience with firearms, but it is by no means impossible. That being said, if you do have experience with firearms, do what the instructors tell you, they're grading you within the CSC framework, not what you "already know".
100% agree with you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Moreover, I would personally say having a PAL or having previous hunting/shooting experience could be both an advantage and a disadvantage. I had a long hunting history prior to the CTP, and I was struggling for unlearning over learning. That was because I developed lots of bad habits (or better to call it “different” habits) from my previous hunting history. I rather had no shooting experience before I stepped in to staff college. It took me a while to remove those habit from my muscle memory. I failed one of the shooting qualification because of my bad hunting habit and passed on my second attempt.

So yes, having PAL could be good as you have general ideas about P.R.O.V.E and A.C.T.S, but it is also important to follow EXACT what instructor’s says and to follow EXACT CSC’s specific firearm manipulations procedure. You will do both unlearning and learning from there.
Good luck to those who are already invited to CTP 3 and who are still waiting for invitations. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My opinions expressed here are solely my personal opinions and do not represent the Correctional Service of Canada or any other Government of Canada agencies.

Manitoba CO 2013-2018
Ontario CO 2018-2019
Federal CO 2019-Present
CSC Honor Guard

TBONE-182
Rookie Member

Postby TBONE-182 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:59 pm

Anyone here apply in June 2020 and still waiting for a SJT invite ?
Pacific Region
Applied June 2020
Online Questionnaire Sept 2020

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Blue sky wrote:

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:52 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 am
Blue sky wrote:

100% agree with you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Moreover, I would personally say having a PAL or having previous hunting/shooting experience could be both an advantage and a disadvantage. I had a long hunting history prior to the CTP, and I was struggling for unlearning over learning. That was because I developed lots of bad habits (or better to call it “different” habits) from my previous hunting history. I rather had no shooting experience before I stepped in to staff college. It took me a while to remove those habit from my muscle memory. I failed one of the shooting qualification because of my bad hunting habit and passed on my second attempt.

So yes, having PAL could be good as you have general ideas about P.R.O.V.E and A.C.T.S, but it is also important to follow EXACT what instructor’s says and to follow EXACT CSC’s specific firearm manipulations procedure. You will do both unlearning and learning from there.
Good luck to those who are already invited to CTP 3 and who are still waiting for invitations. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing your info

TBONE-182
Rookie Member

Postby TBONE-182 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:26 pm

Carlos88 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm
Letmein1 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 am
Hey All,

I pretty much chose everything except Quebec in the online questionnaire. I haven't heard anything since September from CSC. I emailed them recently to ask if my application is still active and this was the response.

"You have successfully submitted your application and have been included in our database. Please note, that due to the pandemic all of our testing sessions have been postponed. Once resumed, all candidates will be notified. Thank you for your patience."

Is everyone else's applications not moving? Is this cause I live in the Vancouver region?

My timeline is below.
I started my application in July 2019. I will only be attending CTP3 on Jan 30th of 2021. Be patient and have confidence In CSC, they are also overcoming a lot of obstacles to get you trained. My advise is to not wait on them because things could take time, focus on improving your resume and stay busy.

Hey Letmein1 have you received any updates??
Pacific Region
Applied June 2020
Online Questionnaire Sept 2020

CXPAC
Rookie Member

Postby CXPAC » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 pm

celticfigz17 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:11 pm
Any information on if Pacific Region will be doing another hiring soon?
A new posting is now up