Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Odawa
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Odawa » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm

JACX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm
oscar_mike wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am
JACX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am
Hello!

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Since we are all in limbo right now, I’m trying to prepare myself for core.

Can anyone recommend boots? I have been looking at the 511’s, just looking for other people’s recommendations and opinions.

What other items are essential to bring? What do you wish you brought?
I think that will depend on where you get sent for core. For me, I was able to go and buy whatever I needed easily so there wasn't a concern but I took tons of workout gear and really good shoes to run in.

As for the 5.11s, they are sufficient and meet the requirements and many people have them but they will likely be your first boot. Once you are in the jails you will be able to get away a bit from the standard models and get into something a bit more comfy. I have my original 5.11s from core, but I wear my two pairs of Danners all the time (got a good deal on both so I couldn't resist). They are way more comfortable and the feet are happier at the end of a 12 hour shift.
I’ll be heading to Kingston and already mapped out my gym from the Academy. I’ll definitely be getting another pair of runners.
I’m looking to break in a pair of boots before I leave, whenever that will be. We are delayed about 4 weeks now. I’ll order the 5.11’s I think, they have decent reviews. I’ll check into the Danners also.
Thanks.
What institution/region JACX?

I've applied around the same time you did and I've only got an offer for the Ontario region so far (Which is not part of the regions I initially applied for)

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 am

Odawa wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm
JACX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm
oscar_mike wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am

I think that will depend on where you get sent for core. For me, I was able to go and buy whatever I needed easily so there wasn't a concern but I took tons of workout gear and really good shoes to run in.

As for the 5.11s, they are sufficient and meet the requirements and many people have them but they will likely be your first boot. Once you are in the jails you will be able to get away a bit from the standard models and get into something a bit more comfy. I have my original 5.11s from core, but I wear my two pairs of Danners all the time (got a good deal on both so I couldn't resist). They are way more comfortable and the feet are happier at the end of a 12 hour shift.
I’ll be heading to Kingston and already mapped out my gym from the Academy. I’ll definitely be getting another pair of runners.
I’m looking to break in a pair of boots before I leave, whenever that will be. We are delayed about 4 weeks now. I’ll order the 5.11’s I think, they have decent reviews. I’ll check into the Danners also.
Thanks.
What institution/region JACX?

I've applied around the same time you did and I've only got an offer for the Ontario region so far (Which is not part of the regions I initially applied for)
Prairie Region.
I decline my first offer and accepted the second.
However, we are all just sitting until the academy determines when training will continue. I was supposed to start June 3rd, however I’m thinking I won’t be there until Fall now.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Does any one know if they're still sending rejection/solicitation emails during all of this?

Avon0072
Rookie Member

Postby Avon0072 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Does any one know if they're still sending rejection/solicitation emails during all of this?
They might be! My last communication was March 23 with Pacific regional HQ, not sure if Ottawa is sending rejections or solicitation.

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Avon0072 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm
Dk94 wrote:
They might be! My last communication was March 23 with Pacific regional HQ, not sure if Ottawa is sending rejections or solicitation.
I received an email last night asking if I would like to participate in a phone interview in the very near future or if I would like to participate in an in-person interview sometime at a later date. I know it’s not what you were asking but it does show they are trying to get things moving again.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

Cx01member
Rookie Member

Postby Cx01member » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am
Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Milzrellin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 am
If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.
If I were to make a recommendation, it would be that every new officer should have to do their first few years in a medium security institution. That's where you learn to talk to inmates, and also maintain a decent security mindset in a large population with lots of freedom of movement.
Starting in a minimum is great for developing the ability to communicate, but it does not develop that security awareness.
Starting in a max has the opposite effect, over-developing the security mindset with a much smaller population with less freedom of movement, but not the ability to communicate. Time and again we see officers transfer to a medium who have only ever worked in a max, and they can't handle the openness, the freedom of movement, or the large numbers of inmates. It's fun to watch the looks on their faces when you release 250 medium inmates for lunch. :)

It amazes me how many officers and recruits think that because they work in a max institution it must mean that they are supercops and somehow better than CX who work in a different security level. Face it, anyone who gets offered a job at the max is simply a warm body and the institution has a space to fill. That's the only criteria.
My hat goes off to the mediums, the garbage they gotta deal with...
Max you're minimum 2 CX at all times outside of bubbles and barriers. But that could also be said about working provincial, where you could be working in a multi-level security institution, to get your feet wet.

I guess it's one of those things where you get a false sense of security working with another officer... problem is and this is everywhere, you don't REALLY know if that person is going to have your back or screw you over further when the time comes.

Mr. Chinn,

In our core, we started doing light BJJ as self defense. One of the instructors who you probably immediately know who I am talking about started doing the basics with us. He is an EXCELLENT instructor. is CSC going to start incorporating jiu jitsu / judo into it's self defense program?

Actually I work at a max and we do our walks alone.... with all the cons out......... you don’t always have a second officer with you at all times. We deal with A LOT of incidents

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 am

https://globalnews.ca/news/6827083/guar ... ers-union/

Make sure you know what you're getting into. Stay safe out there

Cx01member
Rookie Member

Postby Cx01member » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 am

Critical08 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 am

Always have my guard up, just the way things are ran at my institution for some reason. We are the only max that I know of that do walks alone with all the cons out. I’ve heard kent and millhaven lock them up first. Stay safe as well

Cx01member
Rookie Member

Postby Cx01member » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:29 am

Do any other Max’s have “behind barriers” where all the cons are out at the same time for 1-2 hours?

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:03 pm
Avon0072 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm
Dk94 wrote:
Its something. My last communication was my security interview in very beginning of Jan. It's not like I'm in a hurry for anything any way ATM.
Last edited by Dk94 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am

Cx01member wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 am
Critical08 wrote:

Always have my guard up, just the way things are ran at my institution for some reason. We are the only max that I know of that do walks alone with all the cons out. I’ve heard kent and millhaven lock them up first. Stay safe as well
I know Kent doesn't lock them up for walks

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am

Critical08 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am
Cx01member wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 am
Critical08 wrote:

I know Kent doesn't lock them up for walks
I did a tour of Kent. They said when out side with an inmate there is always some one with a rifle that has a sight line to you.

Avon0072
Rookie Member

Postby Avon0072 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Does anyone know if training is happening in May or June?

Copper29
Rookie Member

Postby Copper29 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:55 pm

I would say no I was supposed to graduate in April and we were sent home 3 weeks early and still on hold.
Applied: 07/18/2019
Test Invite: 07/30/2019
SJT Test: 08/08/2019
Inter: 08/15/2019
Ref: 08/21/2019
Med & Prints 09/26/2019
CTP 1 09/29/2019 - 10/29/2019
Pysch Test & Interview - 10/30/2019 - 10/31/2019
CTP 2 - 12/01/2019
CTP 3 - 01/07/2020

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:19 am

Just a brief update on the CTP training situation currently:

Later this week the plan is to begin training at several institutions in Prairies and Pacific regions. The recruits who were on CTP07 and CTP08 (both PEI) who are not relocating and live close to the institutions they received a conditional letter of offer from will resume training to complete the approximately 3 weeks left in their courses. Upon completion, they will be able to begin working at their institutions.

Following this, the management at L&D are putting together a plan to potentially train the recruits who live close to AN institution, but not necessarily the one they will ultimately work at. There will be several stages conducted to attempt to get those people trained and to work. Don't take this post as gospel, as the plan is very much in flux and being adjusted daily. L&D is trying very hard to be able to complete your training so that you can get to work. As for new CTP's, I haven't heard anything yet how they will address this with the current Covid situation, but they are working on it.

There is a possibility of bringing CTP's from Kingston to PEI to complete the courses, including the French PFC's. This is because PEI is much more isolated and easy to control the exposure to Covid. Be aware, if training resumes in PEI you will almost certainly be confined to the Slemon Park area (if you've ever been confined to base/barracks in the military, you know what this means) for the entirety of the training.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Wash your hands, you filthy animals.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.