Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
mtturnbu
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby mtturnbu » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am

menacexp wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 pm
Avon0072 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:08 am
Does anyone know if this COVID-19 outbreak/pandemic is postponing any of the recruitment process? Treasury Board on Friday allowed all Federal public servants the ability to telework wherever possible during the coronavirus pandemic.
I too, am curious about this. In addition, I have to travel to another city (which has confirmed cases of COVID-19), on Wednesday and next Wednesday for my Psych/medical. I'm emailing them to find out if these appointments will be cancelled/re-scheduled (if anyone is in the same stage, i would suggest they do the same).
I was just notified that my exam (SJT) that was scheduled for tomorrow is cancelled at this time.
CSC

PAL: June 2018
Applied: Jan. 2020
Exam: Mar. 2020 - Rescheduled; date TBD

ciciojudo
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby ciciojudo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:10 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am
Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Milzrellin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 am
If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.
If I were to make a recommendation, it would be that every new officer should have to do their first few years in a medium security institution. That's where you learn to talk to inmates, and also maintain a decent security mindset in a large population with lots of freedom of movement.
Starting in a minimum is great for developing the ability to communicate, but it does not develop that security awareness.
Starting in a max has the opposite effect, over-developing the security mindset with a much smaller population with less freedom of movement, but not the ability to communicate. Time and again we see officers transfer to a medium who have only ever worked in a max, and they can't handle the openness, the freedom of movement, or the large numbers of inmates. It's fun to watch the looks on their faces when you release 250 medium inmates for lunch. :)

It amazes me how many officers and recruits think that because they work in a max institution it must mean that they are supercops and somehow better than CX who work in a different security level. Face it, anyone who gets offered a job at the max is simply a warm body and the institution has a space to fill. That's the only criteria.
My hat goes off to the mediums, the garbage they gotta deal with...
Max you're minimum 2 CX at all times outside of bubbles and barriers. But that could also be said about working provincial, where you could be working in a multi-level security institution, to get your feet wet.

I guess it's one of those things where you get a false sense of security working with another officer... problem is and this is everywhere, you don't REALLY know if that person is going to have your back or screw you over further when the time comes.

Mr. Chinn,

In our core, we started doing light BJJ as self defense. One of the instructors who you probably immediately know who I am talking about started doing the basics with us. He is an EXCELLENT instructor. is CSC going to start incorporating jiu jitsu / judo into it's self defense program?
88)
CX

sd333
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby sd333 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Pdl wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 am
Never received a pass email for the psych either, just had to wait for ctp3 invite

Other people that have failed said they heard pretty quickly though
Do you happen to know what pretty quick is? lol. It's been 2.5 weeks for mine now.

User avatar
Z42A
Rookie Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Summerside, PEI
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Mr. Chinn,

In our core, we started doing light BJJ as self defense. One of the instructors who you probably immediately know who I am talking about started doing the basics with us. He is an EXCELLENT instructor. is CSC going to start incorporating jiu jitsu / judo into it's self defense program?
[/quote]

No.
CSC will not start incorporating BJJ or other systems into their self defence program.
We teach everything to the lowest common denominator, from firearms to self defence etc. That lowest common denominator is someone with zero experience and limited physical ability. Been a cop for 25 years? we'll still teach you how to handcuff and search. Former military special forces? We'll still teach you how to load a magazine before we teach you how to shoot a rifle. Fought professionally in the UFC? We'll still teach you how to do arm bar. If an instructor (skilled or experienced as they may be) goes beyond that curriculum, they are violating our training protocols and going beyond the curriculum.
If you want to learn BJJ or Judo, or become a John Wick level shooter, then you'll need to invest your own time and money to do so as that is not something that CSC will ever incorporate. Training would take too long, and we'd lose >90% of our recruits.
Remember...the only reason any organization trains you in anything, is so that they can attest in a court of law or an inquiry that they set a standard and the officer met that standard.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

User avatar
Z42A
Rookie Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Summerside, PEI
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:51 pm

FOR ALL APPLICANTS

Be advised, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, as of 18 March 2020, ALL training has been postponed or suspended.

This includes all CTP training in both Kingston, ON and Summerside, PE.
Recruits currently in CTP stage 3 have been sent home for a minimum period of 3 weeks. Following a re-evaluation after this time period, a decision will be made whether to resume training or continue with the postponement. Once it is deemed safe to resume training, those recruits will be brought back to their training centres to complete their courses.

All upcoming CTP training will be postponed as well, and will not be rescheduled until the all clear is given. If you have received an invitation to attend training beginning in April or May, you can expect (and may have already received) notification of this postponement.

There currently are NO concrete dates for training to resume.

Wash your hands, you filthy animals.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Yorquin87
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Yorquin87 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I hope you’re all doing well during this very strange time!

I completed my SJT on the 12th of March, just curious if this Covid-19 pandemic is going to delay us getting our results?

Thanks for any info and good luck to the rest of you!

Stay safe out there,

JACX
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby JACX » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Z42A wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:51 pm
FOR ALL APPLICANTS

Be advised, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, as of 18 March 2020, ALL training has been postponed or suspended.

This includes all CTP training in both Kingston, ON and Summerside, PE.
Recruits currently in CTP stage 3 have been sent home for a minimum period of 3 weeks. Following a re-evaluation after this time period, a decision will be made whether to resume training or continue with the postponement. Once it is deemed safe to resume training, those recruits will be brought back to their training centres to complete their courses.

All upcoming CTP training will be postponed as well, and will not be rescheduled until the all clear is given. If you have received an invitation to attend training beginning in April or May, you can expect (and may have already received) notification of this postponement.

There currently are NO concrete dates for training to resume.

Wash your hands, you filthy animals.


Thanks for the update.

I’m assuming the June recruits will be postponed as well. Haven’t received any information from recruitment, so I’ll sit back, continue to wash my hands and exercise my patience while social distancing.

Stay safe.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

User avatar
Chillykb19
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Airdrie
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Chillykb19 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:41 pm

noanykey wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 am
Z42A wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am
Pdl wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 pm
Got an offer for Drumheller, training to start in PEI April 21.

Tough decision because that’s a 1 1/2hr commute for me and I also have an offer from the provincial govt. But then again the provincial govt in AB is surely heading for big cuts so it might not be a secure job.

For reference, my last contact with CSC was the psych test in late October.
Hour and a half commute?
You're going to want to either relocate, rent a place in town, or find someone to stay with during your rotations.
In Pacific, there are people that make the drive. I was about to make the drive.. but unfortunately it didn't work out.
It's not uncommon to hear of CX sharing hotels, purchasing an RV, or staying with fellow CX. Depending on your institution, you may be working mandatory OT even as OJT continues. 16 hours days with 3 hour round trip, not much time for sleeping. It's extremely unsafe.. Buttttt people do it.
The commute does suck sometimes. I do it though. From Airdrie to Drum is 55 minutes at the speed limit (careful speeding on HWY9, Sheriffs and RCMP are common). My drive from SW Calgary is 1h25m. HWY9 can be quite the poopshow and visibility is just not there at times. Always give yourself plenty of time to get here. Some weird weather divide happens at Beiseker. I've left Calgary where it was +2'c and 2 minutes past Beiseker watched the temperature drop down to minus 15.
16s are extra long. Mine are actually 20 hour days for me when I factor in getting ready and the drive...but it's working 2 days in one and those 3 off are worth it. I have stayed at a friend's in Drum for a short change (16 followed by a day shift) but other than that I find it worth it to sleep in my own bed.
You''l know within a couple of weeks though if the drive is for you. Drum isn't my favorite town but the people here are nice enough and the community is really tight. There are several local options too that are smaller than Drum within 20 minutes of here.
Good luck!
CX-1

hockeyguy
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hockeyguy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:51 am

noanykey wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am

My hat goes off to the mediums, the garbage they gotta deal with...
Max you're minimum 2 CX at all times outside of bubbles and barriers. But that could also be said about working provincial, where you could be working in a multi-level security institution, to get your feet wet.

I guess it's one of those things where you get a false sense of security working with another officer... problem is and this is everywhere, you don't REALLY know if that person is going to have your back or screw you over further when the time comes.
Eh... the 2 CO thing is news to me. 2 man walks with inmates out is definitely an exception on our units, and I work a Max as you're aware.

User avatar
Chillykb19
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Airdrie
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Chillykb19 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am
Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Milzrellin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 am
If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.
If I were to make a recommendation, it would be that every new officer should have to do their first few years in a medium security institution. That's where you learn to talk to inmates, and also maintain a decent security mindset in a large population with lots of freedom of movement.
Starting in a minimum is great for developing the ability to communicate, but it does not develop that security awareness.
Starting in a max has the opposite effect, over-developing the security mindset with a much smaller population with less freedom of movement, but not the ability to communicate. Time and again we see officers transfer to a medium who have only ever worked in a max, and they can't handle the openness, the freedom of movement, or the large numbers of inmates. It's fun to watch the looks on their faces when you release 250 medium inmates for lunch. :)

It amazes me how many officers and recruits think that because they work in a max institution it must mean that they are supercops and somehow better than CX who work in a different security level. Face it, anyone who gets offered a job at the max is simply a warm body and the institution has a space to fill. That's the only criteria.
My hat goes off to the mediums, the garbage they gotta deal with...
Max you're minimum 2 CX at all times outside of bubbles and barriers. But that could also be said about working provincial, where you could be working in a multi-level security institution, to get your feet wet.

I guess it's one of those things where you get a false sense of security working with another officer... problem is and this is everywhere, you don't REALLY know if that person is going to have your back or screw you over further when the time comes.

Mr. Chinn,

In our core, we started doing light BJJ as self defense. One of the instructors who you probably immediately know who I am talking about started doing the basics with us. He is an EXCELLENT instructor. is CSC going to start incorporating jiu jitsu / judo into it's self defense program?
That bolded part...yes, it happens. CYA, and following procedure are the cure for that. No matter how big they talk, under pressure there are some that simply freeze. Then, afterwards, they find buses and do their best to throw you under so they don't look so bad. These people do exist.
You will know soon enough who they are. Easy enough to know because the list is short and officers talk. Most of your fellow officers have your back but my advice would be to always CYA and follow procedure.
CX-1

Avon0072
Rookie Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Avon0072 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Any updates from csc regarding training?

Copper29
Rookie Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Southern, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Copper29 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:53 pm

I am in CTP 08 right now we had 3 weeks left before we were sent home. There has been an update saying, no new update upon which we would return.
Last edited by Copper29 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Applied: 07/18/2019
Test Invite: 07/30/2019
SJT Test: 08/08/2019
Inter: 08/15/2019
Ref: 08/21/2019
Med & Prints 09/26/2019
CTP 1 09/29/2019 - 10/29/2019
Pysch Test & Interview - 10/30/2019 - 10/31/2019
CTP 2 - 12/01/2019
CTP 3 - 01/07/2020

JACX
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby JACX » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Since we are all in limbo right now, I’m trying to prepare myself for core.

Can anyone recommend boots? I have been looking at the 511’s, just looking for other people’s recommendations and opinions.

What other items are essential to bring? What do you wish you brought?
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

User avatar
oscar_mike
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 am

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby oscar_mike » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am

JACX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am
Hello!

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Since we are all in limbo right now, I’m trying to prepare myself for core.

Can anyone recommend boots? I have been looking at the 511’s, just looking for other people’s recommendations and opinions.

What other items are essential to bring? What do you wish you brought?
I think that will depend on where you get sent for core. For me, I was able to go and buy whatever I needed easily so there wasn't a concern but I took tons of workout gear and really good shoes to run in.

As for the 5.11s, they are sufficient and meet the requirements and many people have them but they will likely be your first boot. Once you are in the jails you will be able to get away a bit from the standard models and get into something a bit more comfy. I have my original 5.11s from core, but I wear my two pairs of Danners all the time (got a good deal on both so I couldn't resist). They are way more comfortable and the feet are happier at the end of a 12 hour shift.
RPAB: 2019-11-21
SP submitted: 2019-12-02
moved to suitability: 2020-01-28
RMAQ: 2020-02-28
RFI: 2020-03-09
recommenced to PEP: 2020-03-24
PEP:
Med:
MMPI:
SC:

JACX
Rookie Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby JACX » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 pm

oscar_mike wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am
JACX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 am
Hello!

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Since we are all in limbo right now, I’m trying to prepare myself for core.

Can anyone recommend boots? I have been looking at the 511’s, just looking for other people’s recommendations and opinions.

What other items are essential to bring? What do you wish you brought?
I think that will depend on where you get sent for core. For me, I was able to go and buy whatever I needed easily so there wasn't a concern but I took tons of workout gear and really good shoes to run in.

As for the 5.11s, they are sufficient and meet the requirements and many people have them but they will likely be your first boot. Once you are in the jails you will be able to get away a bit from the standard models and get into something a bit more comfy. I have my original 5.11s from core, but I wear my two pairs of Danners all the time (got a good deal on both so I couldn't resist). They are way more comfortable and the feet are happier at the end of a 12 hour shift.
I’ll be heading to Kingston and already mapped out my gym from the Academy. I’ll definitely be getting another pair of runners.
I’m looking to break in a pair of boots before I leave, whenever that will be. We are delayed about 4 weeks now. I’ll order the 5.11’s I think, they have decent reviews. I’ll check into the Danners also.
Thanks.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests