Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Hannay08
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Hannay08 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I have been waiting to hear back from the Atlantic requirement. I completed my medical for them 3 weeks ago. Has anyone heard anything or heard if they will be going to summerside yet?

nc22b
Rookie Member

Postby nc22b » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Hannay08 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 pm
I have been waiting to hear back from the Atlantic requirement. I completed my medical for them 3 weeks ago. Has anyone heard anything or heard if they will be going to summerside yet?
I'm in the Pacific Region and completed my medical approx 3 weeks ago as well - I haven't heard anything either but did get a copy of my medical clearance in the mail last week. Still hoping for a CTP 2/3 invite as well.

I read that there is a class starting in Summerside on Sept 10th and another starting in Kingston on Sept 17th but nothing past Sept 17th yet.

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am

Hello everyone, i had wrote my SJT June 17th, 2019. I was notified that i passed on June 19th, 2019. Im just curious as to if it is normal to be waiting this long for the Interview invitation. Any reply would be appreciated. I am trying to get hired in Ontario. Thank you.

Wristshot
Rookie Member

Postby Wristshot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Milzrellin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am
Hello everyone, i had wrote my SJT June 17th, 2019. I was notified that i passed on June 19th, 2019. Im just curious as to if it is normal to be waiting this long for the Interview invitation. Any reply would be appreciated. I am trying to get hired in Ontario. Thank you.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as has been mentioned in this thread before, your not gonna get hired in Ontario. Theres virtually 0 chance. Too many guards trying to transfer back to ontario. Really, im not exaggerating. Your most likely to get prairie region. Get in, do your time and get your transfer when its available

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Wristshot wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:52 pm
Milzrellin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as has been mentioned in this thread before, your not gonna get hired in Ontario. Theres virtually 0 chance. Too many guards trying to transfer back to ontario. Really, im not exaggerating. Your most likely to get prairie region. Get in, do your time and get your transfer when its available
Seconded!

We were in CTP 3 and got a tour of one of the prisons. An armed guard asked us if we were going to be placed in Ontario and we said no.
Just to really confirm it. My CTP had 3 guards who are in Ontario. 2 of them are going to Pacific and 1 is going to Prairie
They were offered their locations, one recruit was advised that if he doesn't take this one, another may not come for some time.
As soon as you enter CTP 3, you can put in for transfer. Even though you do your time in your home prison, expect to be on a wait list.
I didn't grad from CTP3. I was fully ready to go to Kent for as long as it would take to transfer to Club Fed (William Head) but I was told by numerous CX 3 that the wait list for that Institution is at least 5-10 years.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

CXPAC
Rookie Member

Postby CXPAC » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 am

Lol. The wait to go to William Head is much longer. First off, you must be a CX2. You need at least 15 years in the service to get there.

Melanie1
Grand Poobah

Postby Melanie1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am

As per our contract you must do TWO YEARS at your first institution before you can be put on the list for a transfer.
Here is the basics for transfers.
Put your time in.
Don’t ask anyone about transfers when you first arrive at your institution.
You must wait two years before putting your transfer in.
Even though you put two years in, does not mean you will get an automatic transfer the next day. It is all a numbers game within CSC.
Transfers are a bit of an interesting topic. There are no real reasoning and logic to it. Other than just do your time.

When it is an employee requested transfer you are only given $5000 to move. Nothing more.

The movement is going for Ontario hut there are still many people who are already CX with more time in than you that are trying to go there.
So if this is something you want.
Get in now.
Start your pension.
Get some experience.
See another part of the country.
CX

Tyler.trenholm
Rookie Member

Postby Tyler.trenholm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Atlanticbear wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 am
Will be writing a test in New Brunswick Monday. Got an invite for the 17th, a week and a half or so back.

"Exam: Situational Judgment Test (SJT) for Correctional Officers. This test will assess the judgement required for solving work-related problems similar to those encountered by Correctional Officers.

Please note that this exam is different from the Public Service Commission’s Test of Judgement (TOJ) 375 as well as Situational Judgement Test (SJT) 318. Results from the TOJ-375 and SJT-318 cannot be used for this selection process."

Should be fun.
Any tips on the test or any way one could practice for it ?

hibb0015
Rookie Member

Postby hibb0015 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:59 pm

Tyler.trenholm wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Atlanticbear wrote:
Will be writing a test in New Brunswick Monday. Got an invite for the 17th, a week and a half or so back.

"Exam: Situational Judgment Test (SJT) for Correctional Officers. This test will assess the judgement required for solving work-related problems similar to those encountered by Correctional Officers.

Please note that this exam is different from the Public Service Commission’s Test of Judgement (TOJ) 375 as well as Situational Judgement Test (SJT) 318. Results from the TOJ-375 and SJT-318 cannot be used for this selection process."

Should be fun.
There is no real way to prep for the situational judgement test, they give you a scenario and you have to rank what you think the best answer would be. Depending on your judgement, your answer may be different than everybody else's. I assume there is obviously a "right answer", that they are looking for, but it's really what you would do in that situation.

Hannay08
Rookie Member

Postby Hannay08 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 am

How far in advance have others gotten their invites to core? I know every process is different but just looking for a rough ball park idea. I’ve heard of people getting the offer and having to move in just 2 weeks time.

hibb0015
Rookie Member

Postby hibb0015 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:14 am

Hannay08 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:27 am
How far in advance have others gotten their invites to core? I know every process is different but just looking for a rough ball park idea. I’ve heard of people getting the offer and having to move in just 2 weeks time.
I got mine mid July, with a start date of September 17th.

Tyler.trenholm
Rookie Member

Postby Tyler.trenholm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm

hibb0015 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:59 pm
Tyler.trenholm wrote:
Atlanticbear wrote:

Should be fun.
There is no real way to prep for the situational judgement test, they give you a scenario and you have to rank what you think the best answer would be. Depending on your judgement, your answer may be different than everybody else's. I assume there is obviously a "right answer", that they are looking for, but it's really what you would do in that situation.
Did they change the test? As I heard they did it’s not the same as it once was ? And were the multiple choice answers actually answers or was it strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree neutral

hibb0015
Rookie Member

Postby hibb0015 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Tyler.trenholm wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 pm
hibb0015 wrote:
Tyler.trenholm wrote:

Did they change the test? As I heard they did it’s not the same as it once was ? And were the multiple choice answers actually answers or was it strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree neutral
No, that's how it was when I wrote it in March. Multiple choice, and you rank it with strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree, neutral. The actual interview is where you answer the detailed situation based questions.

Tyler.trenholm
Rookie Member

Postby Tyler.trenholm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:38 pm

hibb0015 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:15 pm
Tyler.trenholm wrote:
hibb0015 wrote:

No, that's how it was when I wrote it in March. Multiple choice, and you rank it with strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree, neutral. The actual interview is where you answer the detailed situation based questions.
Okay and when you wrote it in March was there two parts? Like that multiple choice and then a second test with written passages that you needed to pull info from to answer questions ?

hibb0015
Rookie Member

Postby hibb0015 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Tyler.trenholm wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:38 pm
hibb0015 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:15 pm
Tyler.trenholm wrote:

Okay and when you wrote it in March was there two parts? Like that multiple choice and then a second test with written passages that you needed to pull info from to answer questions ?
I sent you a private message!