Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mkelly871
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Mkelly871 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am

Has anyone here wondered if they would postpone CTP3 training because of the virus outbreak? If so what would that look like?

SJT - Passed - April 9th

Interview/Drumheller- Passed - June 28th

Reference Check - Passed - September 26th

Psyc/health/security - Pending - September 26th

CTP 1 - Passed - October 29th

CTP 2 - TBA - TBA

CTP 3 - TBA - TBA

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:33 pm

harvey1725 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm
I received a conditional offer for the training in Kingston June 3-Sept 2 For Kent. Surprised how much notice they gave.. anyone else receive for this time frame?
I received one also. But mine says CTP 2 Sept/October. CTP 3 June 3-Sept 2.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Pdl
Rookie Member

Postby Pdl » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Mkelly871 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am
Has anyone here wondered if they would postpone CTP3 training because of the virus outbreak? If so what would that look like?
Interesting question.

The class size is what, 32? So I guess it doesn’t fall within the current large gatherings advice.

And things have to keep running, like prisons. That’s my opinion

sd333
Rookie Member

Postby sd333 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm

I've finished CTP1 and did my medical today and had my psych exam 1.5 weeks ago. I'm not worried about the medical but how long should it take to find out if you passed the psych? I'm trying to delay fingerprints until I find out so I don't spend money on it incase I didn't pass. Other than that I've passed everything else so far.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:57 am

sd333 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
I've finished CTP1 and did my medical today and had my psych exam 1.5 weeks ago. I'm not worried about the medical but how long should it take to find out if you passed the psych? I'm trying to delay fingerprints until I find out so I don't spend money on it incase I didn't pass. Other than that I've passed everything else so far.
I never received pass/fail notification for psych. However, I must have passed because I’ve been sent 2 invites for CTP 2+3.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Pdl
Rookie Member

Postby Pdl » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 am

Never received a pass email for the psych either, just had to wait for ctp3 invite

Other people that have failed said they heard pretty quickly though

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am

menacexp wrote:
hello guys,
I'm currently going through the recruitment process for CSC. Doing both medical and psych next week, and currently doing the online training.
Quick question, I do wear glasses, provided I make it through everything listed above, what is it like to go through the training with glasses? Can anyone share their experiences? Ideally I would like to the lasik, that aside, should I invest in prescription goggles for training? I did a search but didn't find much info.
thanks
Wearing glasses should have no impact on your training. The only thing that would be a consideration is the training for fire safety or the gas mask, as you can't wear glasses and get a seal with those items. There are inserts available once you get to your institution so that you can have your prescription in your mask.
If you get lazik you will not be able to get exposed to OC spray.
Don't invest in anything special for training. Wear your glasses. Shouldn't make a difference.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am

Pdl wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Mkelly871 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am
Interesting question.

The class size is what, 32? So I guess it doesn’t fall within the current large gatherings advice.

And things have to keep running, like prisons. That’s my opinion
True.

But that's one class.

Kingston and PEI have 3 classes at a time running. That's 96 recruits per location, for a total of 288. Then there's the instructional and support staff for both locations. Add in the factor of bringing all those people from all over the country, and then redistributing them around the country into populations of several hundred who live in very close quarters, and all the staff and the communities in which they live...
M Chinn, CD
CX-3

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am

Milzrellin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 am
If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.
If I were to make a recommendation, it would be that every new officer should have to do their first few years in a medium security institution. That's where you learn to talk to inmates, and also maintain a decent security mindset in a large population with lots of freedom of movement.
Starting in a minimum is great for developing the ability to communicate, but it does not develop that security awareness.
Starting in a max has the opposite effect, over-developing the security mindset with a much smaller population with less freedom of movement, but not the ability to communicate. Time and again we see officers transfer to a medium who have only ever worked in a max, and they can't handle the openness, the freedom of movement, or the large numbers of inmates. It's fun to watch the looks on their faces when you release 250 medium inmates for lunch. :)

It amazes me how many officers and recruits think that because they work in a max institution it must mean that they are supercops and somehow better than CX who work in a different security level. Face it, anyone who gets offered a job at the max is simply a warm body and the institution has a space to fill. That's the only criteria.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3

Mikevictor
Rookie Member

Postby Mikevictor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Milzrellin wrote:
If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.
If I were to make a recommendation, it would be that every new officer should have to do their first few years in a medium security institution. That's where you learn to talk to inmates, and also maintain a decent security mindset in a large population with lots of freedom of movement.
Starting in a minimum is great for developing the ability to communicate, but it does not develop that security awareness.
Starting in a max has the opposite effect, over-developing the security mindset with a much smaller population with less freedom of movement, but not the ability to communicate. Time and again we see officers transfer to a medium who have only ever worked in a max, and they can't handle the openness, the freedom of movement, or the large numbers of inmates. It's fun to watch the looks on their faces when you release 250 medium inmates for lunch. :)

It amazes me how many officers and recruits think that because they work in a max institution it must mean that they are supercops and somehow better than CX who work in a different security level. Face it, anyone who gets offered a job at the max is simply a warm body and the institution has a space to fill. That's the only criteria.
Or my favourite: when an I/M says 'thank you, have a nice day' to you and the recent transferee from the max stops dead in their tracks and their jaw hits the ground. HARD. :dropjaw:

I agree. Having started at a medium the static (physical) security is hard work but the easier part. Talking an inmate down, or trying to reason with someone who is generally unreasonable, or being comfortably aware of security when there are 400+ inmates roaming around over meal times....that takes a lot of your gums flapping and development of working relationships over time. The medium experience has been amazing so far.

menacexp
Rookie Member

Postby menacexp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:53 pm

Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 am
menacexp wrote:
hello guys,
I'm currently going through the recruitment process for CSC. Doing both medical and psych next week, and currently doing the online training.
Quick question, I do wear glasses, provided I make it through everything listed above, what is it like to go through the training with glasses? Can anyone share their experiences? Ideally I would like to the lasik, that aside, should I invest in prescription goggles for training? I did a search but didn't find much info.
thanks
Wearing glasses should have no impact on your training. The only thing that would be a consideration is the training for fire safety or the gas mask, as you can't wear glasses and get a seal with those items. There are inserts available once you get to your institution so that you can have your prescription in your mask.
If you get lazik you will not be able to get exposed to OC spray.
Don't invest in anything special for training. Wear your glasses. Shouldn't make a difference.
thanks for the reply - what about wearing contacts (other than during the OC Spray)?
Last edited by menacexp on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

menacexp
Rookie Member

Postby menacexp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:03 am

sd333 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
so strange, seems like people are doing different elements at different times. After my interview, i had request for fingerprints, placement request (after they told me where my placement was, lol), CTP1, Security questionnaire, Medical, and then Psych (but the Psych is scheduled the week before my medical). Working 60hrs a week and trying to get the online CTP1 completed has been challenging. I find the material very interesting though.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am

Z42A wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am
Milzrellin wrote:

My hat goes off to the mediums, the garbage they gotta deal with...
Max you're minimum 2 CX at all times outside of bubbles and barriers. But that could also be said about working provincial, where you could be working in a multi-level security institution, to get your feet wet.

I guess it's one of those things where you get a false sense of security working with another officer... problem is and this is everywhere, you don't REALLY know if that person is going to have your back or screw you over further when the time comes.

Mr. Chinn,

In our core, we started doing light BJJ as self defense. One of the instructors who you probably immediately know who I am talking about started doing the basics with us. He is an EXCELLENT instructor. is CSC going to start incorporating jiu jitsu / judo into it's self defense program?
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Avon0072
Rookie Member

Postby Avon0072 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:08 am

Does anyone know if this COVID-19 outbreak/pandemic is postponing any of the recruitment process? Treasury Board on Friday allowed all Federal public servants the ability to telework wherever possible during the coronavirus pandemic.

menacexp
Rookie Member

Postby menacexp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Avon0072 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:08 am
Does anyone know if this COVID-19 outbreak/pandemic is postponing any of the recruitment process? Treasury Board on Friday allowed all Federal public servants the ability to telework wherever possible during the coronavirus pandemic.
I too, am curious about this. In addition, I have to travel to another city (which has confirmed cases of COVID-19), on Wednesday and next Wednesday for my Psych/medical. I'm emailing them to find out if these appointments will be cancelled/re-scheduled (if anyone is in the same stage, i would suggest they do the same).