Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
noanykey
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby noanykey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Annabella40 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:52 pm
bulldoglover4 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:48 pm
Has anyone who has gotten an offer for PEI class 10, 11 or 12 received CTP 2 information yet?
Haven't received CTP 2 information yet but did get my invite for April 28. Hope to recieve it soon.
Dayuuum, they are pushing them through if you don't have CTP2 but your conditional letter for 3.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

bulldoglover4
Rookie Member

Postby bulldoglover4 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:15 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm
Annabella40 wrote:
bulldoglover4 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:48 pm
Has anyone who has gotten an offer for PEI class 10, 11 or 12 received CTP 2 information yet?
Haven't received CTP 2 information yet but did get my invite for April 28. Hope to recieve it soon.
Dayuuum, they are pushing them through if you don't have CTP2 but your conditional letter for 3.
Perhaps things have changed since you completed your training. I know this has been the norm for friends who have completed training in the earlier classes in PEI. Just trying to get a feel when I can expect it.

Annabella40
Rookie Member

Postby Annabella40 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:18 pm

bulldoglover4 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:15 pm
noanykey wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 pm
Annabella40 wrote:

Perhaps things have changed since you completed your training. I know this has been the norm for friends who have completed training in the earlier classes in PEI. Just trying to get a feel when I can expect it.
From what I hear from others that have been thru this they received CTP2 a month before they went to CTP3 so should be anytime from now til 28 March I'm figuring.

Pdl
Rookie Member

Postby Pdl » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Got an offer for Drumheller, training to start in PEI April 21.

Tough decision because that’s a 1 1/2hr commute for me and I also have an offer from the provincial govt. But then again the provincial govt in AB is surely heading for big cuts so it might not be a secure job.

For reference, my last contact with CSC was the psych test in late October.

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am

Pdl wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Tough decision because that’s a 1 1/2hr commute for me and I also have an offer from the provincial govt. But then again the provincial govt in AB is surely heading for big cuts so it might not be a secure job.

Hour and a half commute?
You're going to want to either relocate, rent a place in town, or find someone to stay with during your rotations.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 am

A lot of people who have received an offer to attend CTP Stage 3 have contacted me lately, asking for advice. As it's always the same answer, I'll post my advice here for everyone.
If you have received your Stage 2 materials, and are getting ready for Stage 3, this is what I urgently recommend that you do to be best prepared, regardless of whether you're going to PEI or Kingston:

1) KNOW the material in stage 2. Do the readings, do all of the assignments, then go over it again to ensure that you have as good a grasp as possible on everything.

2) Get in shape. Do some running, lift some weights, and work on your flexibility as much as you can. This will pay off in the physical skills training immensely. If you've got big muscles but can't comfortably touch your toes or put both hands behind your back, or you're basically Gumby but can't do pushups or lift your own body weight, you will struggle with a lot of the training. Do cardio. If you gas out in 2 minutes of trying to get handcuffs on somebody, you're no good to yourself or your partners, regardless of how much you can bench press. You will be doing lots of up-down, in self defence, arrest and control, and even firearms training. If you can't kneel down and then get back up again, comfortably, quickly and without assistance, then I recommend www.subway.com/careers as this job simply isn't for you.

3) Save your money. Although recruits are paid now, it isn’t a lot. There are some costs associated with CTP, and being here for 3 months gets boring and you’ll want to be able to entertain yourself. Worrying about money is a huge distraction from training.

I hope this helps out. Thanks for the emails and questions, please keep them coming.
Good luck!
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 am

Z42A wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am
Pdl wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Hour and a half commute?
You're going to want to either relocate, rent a place in town, or find someone to stay with during your rotations.
In Pacific, there are people that make the drive. I was about to make the drive.. but unfortunately it didn't work out.
It's not uncommon to hear of CX sharing hotels, purchasing an RV, or staying with fellow CX. Depending on your institution, you may be working mandatory OT even as OJT continues. 16 hours days with 3 hour round trip, not much time for sleeping. It's extremely unsafe.. Buttttt people do it.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

ciciojudo
Rookie Member

Postby ciciojudo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:21 pm

:shock:
CX

Wristshot
Rookie Member

Postby Wristshot » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 am

:roll:
cx

menacexp
Rookie Member

Postby menacexp » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm

hello guys,
I'm currently going through the recruitment process for CSC. Doing both medical and psych next week, and currently doing the online training.
Quick question, I do wear glasses, provided I make it through everything listed above, what is it like to go through the training with glasses? Can anyone share their experiences? Ideally I would like to the lasik, that aside, should I invest in prescription goggles for training? I did a search but didn't find much info.
thanks

harvey1725
Rookie Member

Postby harvey1725 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm

I received a conditional offer for the training in Kingston June 3-Sept 2 For Kent. Surprised how much notice they gave.. anyone else receive for this time frame?

harvey1725
Rookie Member

Postby harvey1725 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm

How long do you usually wait to get the official letter of offer following your response to the solicitation of interest email?

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm

harvey1725 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:51 pm
I received a conditional offer for the training in Kingston June 3-Sept 2 For Kent. Surprised how much notice they gave.. anyone else receive for this time frame?
That’s great. It’s nice to have that much time to prepare. I only hope when my offer comes I will get that much time to organize and prepare.
Good luck.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

redemptionmaster
Rookie Member

Postby redemptionmaster » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 am

Got the email today, offered Kent and Training Dates May 27,2020-August 26, 2020, PM me if you got offered the same dates.

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 am

If you were given an option to work min/med vs max institution what would the majority of you applicants pick? Just curious if there is a benefit at working at one Vs the other. Any input would be great.