Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Fonthill » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:18 am

heritage56227 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:51 pm
Im rather concerned, all has gone well... until reference check. I am an individual with one employer my entire work history... this employer has refused to provide reference.

Application: April 2019
SJT: May 2019
Interview: June 2019
References: 2 days after interview

How big of a deal is this dilemma ?
Yeah, you won’t move past this stage then. Tell the employer you will go to the local news
Correctional Officer, CO2

PrairiesCO
Rookie Member

Postby PrairiesCO » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:31 am

heritage56227 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:51 pm
Im rather concerned, all has gone well... until reference check. I am an individual with one employer my entire work history... this employer has refused to provide reference.

Application: April 2019
SJT: May 2019
Interview: June 2019
References: 2 days after interview

How big of a deal is this dilemma ?
As another poster mentioned, if they can't contact to your references, you wont move forward. I was in a similar situation where they had issues contacting my references, and warned they will only attempt one more time and I would be removed from the process. I believe it was 2-3 days after first contact attempt.

newfie96
Rookie Member

Postby newfie96 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm

I finished CTP1 mid-January and I received my CTP2 information as well as my institution and conditional letter of offer mid-February! I started CTP3 on April 9th and will graduate on July 10th. The process flies by once you receive your CTP2/3 information!

Good luck!

hibb0015 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:01 pm
I have gone through the application process at a rather fast rate. Here is my timeline

Application: Feb 2019
Written Exam: March 2019
References: March 2019
Fingerprints: April 2019
Interview: May 2019
Security Clearance: May 2019
Regions of Interest May 2019
Psych Eval Part 1: May 2019
Psych Eval Part 2: June 2019
Medical: June 2019
CTP 1 completion: June 2019

Upon successful completion of CTP 1, I received the generic email stating that I would be contacted for CTP2/3 based on regional needs. My question is, should I expect to wait a long time for this, as everything else has gone by so quickly? Definitely getting anxious about this, it has only been a week since I completed CTP 1, but I need to know!!

habsfan1221
Rookie Member

Postby habsfan1221 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 am

Anyone know or hear when the next round of CTP3 will be starting?

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 pm

habsfan1221 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 am
Anyone know or hear when the next round of CTP3 will be starting?
New class arrives next week to kingston
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

aphodix.02
Rookie Member

Postby aphodix.02 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:04 am

-

razzmmtazzy
Rookie Member

Postby razzmmtazzy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:39 am

Any other type 1 diabetics on here? Going through the recruitment process or currently working for CSC?

I am very fresh in the process (only completed exam recently). Very nervous about moving on. I absolutely passed that exam without a doubt.. more so just anxious as I am only available to work in the Kingston area. I believe my application would be very interesting to recruiters but of course that doesn't make a difference if there is no demand in the area.

Hoping the odds are in my favour...

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 am

razzmmtazzy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:39 am
Any other type 1 diabetics on here? Going through the recruitment process or currently working for CSC?

I am very fresh in the process (only completed exam recently). Very nervous about moving on. I absolutely passed that exam without a doubt.. more so just anxious as I am only available to work in the Kingston area. I believe my application would be very interesting to recruiters but of course that doesn't make a difference if there is no demand in the area.

One guy in my class is from Ontario. Got offered kent and was advised another offer may not come anytime soon.
It is kinda weird how things go like that.

There’s no one staying in Ontario from any of the three classes I've spoken to while in CTP.
CSC
Interview - 1/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

bigdaddyt
Rookie Member

Postby bigdaddyt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 am

Hate to be a dick here but you won’t be getting Kingston, regardless of how good you think your resume is. Got to put your time in out west first if you want to be a officer. Who knows maybe 2 years from now you get called for millhaven but I wouldn’t hold your breath hearing anything sooner the that for Kingston.

razzmmtazzy
Rookie Member

Postby razzmmtazzy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am

bigdaddyt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 am
Hate to be a dick here but you won’t be getting Kingston, regardless of how good you think your resume is. Got to put your time in out west first if you want to be a officer. Who knows maybe 2 years from now you get called for millhaven but I wouldn’t hold your breath hearing anything sooner the that for Kingston.
Good thing I've got nothing but time then.

Melanie1
Grand Poobah

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:18 pm

bigdaddyt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 am

You aren’t being a dick you are being realistic.
There are current officers who have waited 6 plus years to transfer to Ontario. Depending which institution they wanted. Probation is 2 years. You cannot transfer in that time period. Then you must wait for an opening or for a jail to need officers. When KP closed all of those officers were mostly dispersed in the Kingston area, overpopulating most jails in the area with officers.
What makes you more important than any other applicant applying wanting the Kingston area? Or more so what makes you more important than the serving officers that want to go to the Kingston area?
I think you need to look back the many many many pages of this forum and read. Be realistic about your goals. You can get in within 2 years. I some time. Gain some experience and transfer or you can wait and wait and wait. And be ‘that guy’ who didn’t have to put in his dues out west and potentially waste years of pensionable time to retire.
You can either be two people
Person one. Wait and wait and wait and wait.
Person two. wait and wait. Work work work work and retire earlier than person one.
CX

paccx

Postby paccx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 pm

razzmmtazzy wrote:

I’m curious to know what would make your application “very interesting” to recruiters?
Correctional Service of Canada
CX2, Pacific Region

paccx

Postby paccx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:25 pm

paccx wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 pm
razzmmtazzy wrote:

I’m curious to know what would make your application “very interesting” to recruiters?
Correctional Service of Canada
CX2, Pacific Region

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 pm

an attitude like “I’ve got plenty of time” is not what recruiters or potential fellow officers want to hear.
You’ve got quite a long path to go. Im typing this in my bed at ctp3. Once you get here, it only gets harder. You don't get the job til you get the badge.

My advice,
Take what you’re offered, leave the attitude at home. Be proud that you’re serving your country.
I’ve got two strikes. I'm still pushing to succeed and I'm still 100% respectful to everyone.

Good luck!
CSC
Interview - 1/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

razzmmtazzy
Rookie Member

Postby razzmmtazzy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 pm
an attitude like “I’ve got plenty of time” is not what recruiters or potential fellow officers want to hear.
You’ve got quite a long path to go. Im typing this in my bed at ctp3. Once you get here, it only gets harder. You don't get the job til you get the badge.

My advice,
Take what you’re offered, leave the attitude at home. Be proud that you’re serving your country.
I’ve got two strikes. I'm still pushing to succeed and I'm still 100% respectful to everyone.

Good luck!
Very confused as to how you perceive my statement of having lots of time as being disrespectful. You seem to be projecting attitude that does not exist.

Was simply asking a question as to the rate that individuals are placed in the Kingston area, no need to respond in any other way.

..To those who gave me some insight, thank-you!