Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Yorquin87
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Yorquin87 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:16 am

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone who applied for the 01-15-2020 cutoff date has gotten any word back yet!

I haven’t heard anything but am hoping to get something back soon!

Good luck everyone!

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 am

Yorquin87 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:16 am
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone who applied for the 01-15-2020 cutoff date has gotten any word back yet!

Good luck everyone!
That posting was likely extended until March. If you log into your application you will see if it was.
I applied to the posting last Jan. It extended to March, my interview was in July. So don’t expect to hear anything for a few months. It’s been a year now and I’m sitting in the qualified pool, just to give you an idea how thorough this process is.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 am

Do people normally get contacted for a security phone interview after submitting their security questionnaire? I submitted mine last month and haven’t heard anything

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm

miscaware wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 am
Do people normally get contacted for a security phone interview after submitting their security questionnaire? I submitted mine last month and haven’t heard anything
It took them a month to contact me, a week for my friend. Some people they do not contact at all

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi Matt,

Do you happen to know the scheduled training dates at either/both facilities for 2020? I've completed all steps and am hopefully awaiting an offer soon.. just a waiting game now!

Would you be able to offer a general look at what daily training may look like while there? Apologies if someone has already offered a look at this. Any advice you may have going into training would be appreciated.

Also, if/when offers come is there ever a possibility to "defer" an offer? I've done my best to keep my life open over the next few months, but anticipate a conflict of time a bit later down the road this year and just want to know options if an offer happens to come around this.

Thanks in advance
I do have the scheduled dates for PEI. Unfortunately, I don't have it available for Kingston.
we are currently at the start of 3 CTP's here in PEI, who will be graduating in late March / early April. The next 3 classes here will start as those classes graduate. We don't have any down time between classes, so as one class graduates, the next one will begin within a few days.

Daily training... Of course, it varies in what subjects you're doing, but it basically goes like this:
Go to breakfast around 0700, depending on which class you're in. Report to class as a class (marching together) @ 0800. Classes until 1130. Lunch. Classes from 1230 to 1600. Go home. Study, practice your skills, and get in your 5 workouts per week.

Training will be a mix of classroom learning, scenario training in the simulation area, firearms training at the shooting range, physical skills in the dojo, or drill in the drill hall.

As for deferring... You can, but you can never guarantee that there'll be another offer, or when. There are a lot of people in the process of applying, and your name won't necessarily be given priority for the next class selection. We get asked this a lot, mainly because people haven't been offered the institution or region that they want. You have to consider that transfers get accepted before filling CTP seats, and institutions would prefer to get an experienced officer over a rookie. They also don't have to pay for getting you trained, and it's part of the collective agreement.
So, if you're willing to work a few years, make some money, gain some experience and seniority, and then hopefully apply for a transfer a few years down the road to where you think you'd rather work, that's a better way to go than to sit back and not have a job while waiting for that offer that may never come again.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

darlo
Rookie Member

Postby darlo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm

JACX wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 am
Yorquin87 wrote:
Hey guys,

Good luck everyone!
That posting was likely extended until March. If you log into your application you will see if it was.
I applied to the posting last Jan. It extended to March, my interview was in July. So don’t expect to hear anything for a few months. It’s been a year now and I’m sitting in the qualified pool, just to give you an idea how thorough this process is.
Did you get a phone call or letter stating that you are in the "qualified pool"? I believe I have completed all the steps, with my medical just having been completed and approved as of 2 weeks ago (my final step in the process). Always makes me nervous when I hear nothing, as I'd hate to have missed an email or something. So far so good though. :D

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 pm

darlo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm
JACX wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 am
Yorquin87 wrote:
Hey guys,

Good luck everyone!
Did you get a phone call or letter stating that you are in the "qualified pool"? I believe I have completed all the steps, with my medical just having been completed and approved as of 2 weeks ago (my final step in the process). Always makes me nervous when I hear nothing, as I'd hate to have missed an email or something. So far so good though. :D
No letter or phone call. I have received a previous invitation, which I had to decline. So, we just be patient and wait until they have enough qualified in the pool. No news is good news sometimes.
JACX

conjuringdreams
Rookie Member

Postby conjuringdreams » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi guys,

Have my medical assessment coming up soon. Question about something that I haven't considered until now. What immunizations do I need to have?

I have my Hep B vaccine from 2006 (I'm under the impression that this one is good for life?) and my Diphtheria/Tetanus/Acellular Pertussis vaccine which is due for a booster soon as I received it about ten years ago in school.

If anyone has ever been in this situation or knows what I need to get done in terms of immunizations, I would really appreciate it. I can't find very much information online.

Could not having certain immunization cause me to be DQed/fail my medical assessment?

Thank you in advance

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering when do people generally get their SJT result back? I wrote the test on last Thursday in Vancouver, BC and waiting for the result.

Thanks in advance.
RCMP
Deferred until - 2025/12/05

Vancouver Police Department
Deferred until - 2020/05/22

CBSA
Applied - 2019/02/08
OTEE - 2019/03/15 PASS
Interview - TBA

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:43 am

ikong0621 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm
Hi guys,

Just wondering when do people generally get their SJT result back? I wrote the test on last Thursday in Vancouver, BC and waiting for the result.

Thanks in advance.
It took about 3 weeks before I was sent an email to notify me of my results.

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 am

conjuringdreams wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:46 pm
Hi guys,

Have my medical assessment coming up soon. Question about something that I haven't considered until now. What immunizations do I need to have?

I have my Hep B vaccine from 2006 (I'm under the impression that this one is good for life?) and my Diphtheria/Tetanus/Acellular Pertussis vaccine which is due for a booster soon as I received it about ten years ago in school.

If anyone has ever been in this situation or knows what I need to get done in terms of immunizations, I would really appreciate it. I can't find very much information online.

Could not having certain immunization cause me to be DQed/fail my medical assessment?

Thank you in advance
good question.. this never came to mind... Now I want to know lol

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Mike101 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 am
conjuringdreams wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:46 pm
Hi guys,

Thank you in advance
good question.. this never came to mind... Now I want to know lol
They will send you the info. Get the ones you need once your medical forms are emailed. You physician should know.
However, during employment you need:
TST, HEP B every 10 years and TDap/TD
JACX

Yorquin87
Rookie Member

Postby Yorquin87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone who applied for the January 15th closing got any feedback yet, not quite sure where to look to see if the application close date got pushed ( I do see another posting for March, maybe this is it?)

Interested to see what feedback you guys have gotten so far!

Good luck guys!

Kayliesg
Rookie Member

Postby Kayliesg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Below is my timeline. My Psych was originally scheduled for Feb 13 2020, but I am unable to attend. I have been advised on 2020-01-28 that they have requested an alternate date for my Psych. Anyone know how long it takes to get a rescheduled date?

Applied: Aug 9 2019
Testing: Sept 27 2019
Interview: Dec 9 2019
References Contacted: Dec 13 2019
Fingerprinting: Jan 20 2020
CTP1 Completed: Feb 3 2020
Medical: Feb 7 2020
Psych + interview: TBD
CTP2: TBD
CTP3: TBD

kevinmelo
Rookie Member

Postby kevinmelo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Good Day All,

I just recently completed my CTP 1 course and everything they ask of my has all been completed, now my question is, would anyone know how long people usually waited after completing their CTP1 course, that they received an email regarding CTP2?

Any generalization would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all
Applied: Sept, 20
Testing: Sept, 20
Interview: Dec, 20
References: Dec, 20
Fingerprinting: Jan, 20
Medical: Jan, 20
Audio gram: Jan, 20
MMPI + Interview: Jan, 20
CTP1: Jan 8, 20 - Feb 5, 20 - Passed