Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mike101
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Mike101 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info guys
Much appreciated

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 am

Yorquin87 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm
Hey guys, put my application in on January 7th, closing date is the 15th, I know it probably varies but I’m just curious as to what kind of timeframe you all went though before hearing back, getting interviewed and tested etc.

I appreciate the response and good luck to everyone else applying!
I applied last year and sitting in the pool still. Depends on what region you applied and locations you selected.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Prairie Applicant 88
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie Applicant 88 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Applied for the posting that just closed. Fingers crossed for an other shot at the exam!
Applied: 02/06/2019
Test Invite: 04/24/2019
SJT Test: 05/03/2019
SJT Results: 10/01/2019 Failed (Emailed recruiting for results)

Applied: 01/13/2020

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 am

Hello all

Allow me to introduce myself:

My name is Matt Chinn. I am a CX3 Staff Trainer for CSC, currently training recruits at the National Satellite Training Academy in Summerside, PEI. I was on this forum back in 2013-2016, when I was a trainer at the NTA in Regina, Saskatchewan.

I am on here to dispel rumours, answer any questions that I am allowed and able to, and assist with ensuring that those who are successful at getting through the selection process arrive in PEI or Kingston as prepared for the training as possible.

Please feel free to ask questions of me on here, or if it's something that you'd like to discuss privately please email me at my work email matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca. Questions about the recruiting process (such as timeframes, why you weren't selected, etc) are things I cannot answer, as I am not a recruiter. If you have questions about the training and what to expect, then definitely direct them at me.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:52 am

Z42A wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 am
Hello all

My name is Matt Chinn. I am a CX3 Staff Trainer for CSC, currently training recruits at the National Satellite Training Academy in Summerside, PEI. I was on this forum back in 2013-2016, when I was a trainer at the NTA in Regina, Saskatchewan.

I am on here to dispel rumours, answer any questions that I am allowed and able to, and assist with ensuring that those who are successful at getting through the selection process arrive in PEI or Kingston as prepared for the training as possible.

Please feel free to ask questions of me on here, or if it's something that you'd like to discuss privately please email me at my work email matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca. Questions about the recruiting process (such as timeframes, why you weren't selected, etc) are things I cannot answer, as I am not a recruiter. If you have questions about the training and what to expect, then definitely direct them at me.
Good day, Mr. Chinn,
We never had a chance to chat with each other in this forums but your previous posts helped me a lot. They gave me a clear image of the trainings and helped me better prepared. I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for your help.
This is my third correction training (MB, ON and CSC), and I found CSC training was the most thorough and the most informative one.
Currently, I am three days away from my graduation. Looking forward to starting OJT. Thanks again for your help.

Respectfully,
Kingston CX-1 Trainee
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

Luskie
Rookie Member

Postby Luskie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi all.

I have just completed CTP 1 but i have not been scheduled for a psych test/interview yet, my medical and finger prints have been completed and i'm assuming i've passed everything.

Do i have to wait until i'm notified to start CTP 2 or are they under the impression i have already begun? its been radio silence since the initial invite to CTP 1, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
CX-01

Applied: July 19
SJT: July 19 (Passed)
Interview: November 19 (Passed)
References: November 19
Fingerprints: November 19
CTP1: December 19
Medical exam/audiogram: January 20

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:28 am

disregard
Last edited by ygu31 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:48 am

Luskie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Hi all.

I have just completed CTP 1 but i have not been scheduled for a psych test/interview yet, my medical and finger prints have been completed and i'm assuming i've passed everything.

Do i have to wait until i'm notified to start CTP 2 or are they under the impression i have already begun? its been radio silence since the initial invite to CTP 1, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
I wouldn't say I have insight info, but my time frame may be a reference: Back in 2019, I was invited for psych evaluation about TWO months after my completion of stage 1, because there was a long waiting list to take the test. From what I heard from other recruits, CSC tries to arrange psych test during our stage 1 period, but sometimes, the psychologists may be too busy to accommodate that. It should also be noticed, the psychologist also need to take care of CBSA applicants as well (which they eventually consumed more spots than us): when I conducted my psych test, only 2 were CSC applicants and the other 20ish test participants were CBSA applicants. No need to be frustrated, it is unfortunately waiting game.
Do not start stage 2 yet, as what I was informed by recruiting team: upon completion of medical clearance, security evaluation, and psych evaluation, you will then be invited to start stage 2.
Hope this can help. Good luck :-)

harvey1725
Rookie Member

Postby harvey1725 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 am

Z42A wrote:
Hello all

Hi Matt,

Do you happen to know the scheduled training dates at either/both facilities for 2020? I've completed all steps and am hopefully awaiting an offer soon.. just a waiting game now!

Would you be able to offer a general look at what daily training may look like while there? Apologies if someone has already offered a look at this. Any advice you may have going into training would be appreciated.

Also, if/when offers come is there ever a possibility to "defer" an offer? I've done my best to keep my life open over the next few months, but anticipate a conflict of time a bit later down the road this year and just want to know options if an offer happens to come around this.

Thanks in advance

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm

harvey1725 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 am
Z42A wrote:
Hello all

Hi Matt,

Do you happen to know the scheduled training dates at either/both facilities for 2020? I've completed all steps and am hopefully awaiting an offer soon.. just a waiting game now!

Would you be able to offer a general look at what daily training may look like while there? Apologies if someone has already offered a look at this. Any advice you may have going into training would be appreciated.

Also, if/when offers come is there ever a possibility to "defer" an offer? I've done my best to keep my life open over the next few months, but anticipate a conflict of time a bit later down the road this year and just want to know options if an offer happens to come around this.

Thanks in advance
Hi Harvey,

I sitting in the same canoe, waiting. I wish we had a ballpark idea of when the training session will be, so we can be prepared. I know I have some obligations coming up and also run my own business, so as much notice as possible would be appreciated. I already declined another offer, which wasn’t one of my selections, so waiting patiently like everyone else. Tough to plan anything and organize when it’s so unknown.

I don’t believe they run a session commencing in March, I believe the next ones for either would be in April + May. Hopefully, Mr. Chinn can clarify that for us.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

striker

Postby striker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am

Z42A wrote:
Hello all

shouldn't you be supervising Troy? :mrgreen:
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:37 am

https://www.todaysnorthumberland.ca/202 ... assaulted/

I toured this facility. It is really interesting in a housing unit with everything stacked up against the CX and their fears of being hit with an excessive force accusation if a violent action is thrown their way.

It's also crazy that the offender and accomplice will be moved to max within the same institution, so chances are this officer will encounter them again fairly soon. Stay safe out there CX!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Tunafish
Rookie Member

Postby Tunafish » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 pm

I just received an email today to schedule a medical assessment with Health Canada. Just wondering if someone can tell me in what order things usually get done. I had my first interview and gave my choices, references and security check forms back the first of December. I know at some point I will have to the 4 weeks of online testing but I thought that came before the medical. any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Luskie
Rookie Member

Postby Luskie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Tunafish wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 pm
I just received an email today to schedule a medical assessment with Health Canada. Just wondering if someone can tell me in what order things usually get done. I had my first interview and gave my choices, references and security check forms back the first of December. I know at some point I will have to the 4 weeks of online testing but I thought that came before the medical. any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
You should receive an email to begin CTP 1 very soon.
CX-01

Applied: July 19
SJT: July 19 (Passed)
Interview: November 19 (Passed)
References: November 19
Fingerprints: November 19
CTP1: December 19
Medical exam/audiogram: January 20

Kayliesg
Rookie Member

Postby Kayliesg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Tunafish wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 pm
I got my email for my medical on 2020-01-20. My CTP 1 started today 2020-01-22!