Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

TeriNB
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 12:30 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby TeriNB » Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 pm

TeriNB wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm
AvatarPac wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am
Hey guys,

Starting my CTP stage 1 training. Any tips on how I should study? Did you guys make notes? And how was the final test?
Hi there, congrats on making it this far! I took notes, notes and more notes. Lol. Make sure you study key points. As long as you take notes and study you should be ok. I started a binder and divided it by each module. That way it was easier to refer back to something if needed. Be prepared to do some printing as well. Good Luck! I finished CTP1 in December and am still waiting. It can be a long process but from what I have heard it is well worth the wait! 😀

hockeyguy
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hockeyguy » Fri May 03, 2019 8:45 pm

AvatarPac wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am
Hey guys,

Starting my CTP stage 1 training. Any tips on how I should study? Did you guys make notes? And how was the final test?
Tips are all good and well but realistically no one can tell you how to study. My method of study would probably not be suitable for most, but it works well for me. I did a degree with maybe 150 pages of notes, some of my classmates had 10s of thousands. We both passed.

Like any fair test, if you know the material, you will pass.

User avatar
noanykey
Seasoned Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Location: BC

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby noanykey » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 pm

hockeyguy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:45 pm
AvatarPac wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am
Hey guys,

Starting my CTP stage 1 training. Any tips on how I should study? Did you guys make notes? And how was the final test?
Tips are all good and well but realistically no one can tell you how to study. My method of study would probably not be suitable for most, but it works well for me. I did a degree with maybe 150 pages of notes, some of my classmates had 10s of thousands. We both passed.

Like any fair test, if you know the material, you will pass.

HG is right. My .2 cents would be do not let that inactive timer hit you on the final. So don't do a question and walk away for half a day. You'll have to reapply.
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7880
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Striker » Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am

Read a few days ago that CSC is looking to hire 700 CX this year..
For everyone applying and or waiting..be patient.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

User avatar
Floydie
Grand Poobah
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 pm

Striker wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am
Read a few days ago that CSC is looking to hire 700 CX this year..
For everyone applying and or waiting..be patient.
gotta fill those SIU's buds 88)
CSC

JenB613
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby JenB613 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:14 am

noanykey wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:42 am
Got sent the security questionnaire today! Now I can not be stressed out for my vacation as I am on to the last step before CTP2/3
That’s awesome! I just had my medical today, Ive completed CTP Stage 1; I’ve done my psych evaluations (May 1st) & my finger prints are done too! If you don’t mind, you said that you just had vision and hearing in your medical. In mine, they hooked me up to a heart monitor, even though I’ve never had any issues? Did they do this with yourself? Has anyone else has this done? They said everything looked good today, so I’m hoping the proceed with the next step:)

I was also just wondering how long it took them to send you the security questionnaire? Have you received a conditional offer yet? I’m so anxious lol

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7880
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Striker » Mon May 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Floydie wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 pm
Striker wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am
Read a few days ago that CSC is looking to hire 700 CX this year..
For everyone applying and or waiting..be patient.
gotta fill those SIU's buds 88)
another couple of years someone can have my locker. :wave:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

mikemike
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby mikemike » Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm a regular member with RCMP now, but I had a great career with CSC before I moved. Anyone applying with CSC is making a good move in my opinion. Good luck with your applications!

hockeyguy
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hockeyguy » Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm

mikemike wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm
I'm a regular member with RCMP now, but I had a great career with CSC before I moved. Anyone applying with CSC is making a good move in my opinion. Good luck with your applications!
Thanks Mike! I already am good with my decision but I feel even better about uprooting my family now. Gonna be worth it!

hockeyguy
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hockeyguy » Wed May 08, 2019 6:44 pm

My CTP3 starts in PEI in a month and 5 days.

Since sending back my signed conditional offer of employment, I haven't heard a peep.

I'm assuming I'll get told when to start CPT 2, and then get more direction on how to prepare. Is that correct? Or do I start CPT 2 now?

samallama
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby samallama » Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 pm

hockeyguy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:44 pm
My CTP3 starts in PEI in a month and 5 days.

Since sending back my signed conditional offer of employment, I haven't heard a peep.

I'm assuming I'll get told when to start CPT 2, and then get more direction on how to prepare. Is that correct? Or do I start CPT 2 now?
HG, I've been in touch with recruiting and they will send instructions for CTP2, as I had the same question. It's hard not to get a bit anxious because of the time crunch, so don't worry! I feel you haha.

A friend of mine and I had been given our CLO for CTP3 in Kingston June 11, but were both contacted today to say that it was changed to June 18 PEI, then June 13 PEI, so now we are waiting for the updated CLO. Sounds like we'll be seeing each other around on the island!

hockeyguy
Regular Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hockeyguy » Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 pm

samallama wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 pm
hockeyguy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:44 pm
My CTP3 starts in PEI in a month and 5 days.

Since sending back my signed conditional offer of employment, I haven't heard a peep.

I'm assuming I'll get told when to start CPT 2, and then get more direction on how to prepare. Is that correct? Or do I start CPT 2 now?
HG, I've been in touch with recruiting and they will send instructions for CTP2, as I had the same question. It's hard not to get a bit anxious because of the time crunch, so don't worry! I feel you haha.

A friend of mine and I had been given our CLO for CTP3 in Kingston June 11, but were both contacted today to say that it was changed to June 18 PEI, then June 13 PEI, so now we are waiting for the updated CLO. Sounds like we'll be seeing each other around on the island!

Cool, thanks. I'm assuming we'll get it all next week sometime. I'm not too worried about the workload but I don't want them to think I'm avoiding it either ;)

I'm going to PM you.

NewCX-01
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NewCX-01 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 pm

I heard CSC does not provide work boots. Could I use my used boots or do I have to buy new.

manuel4140
Regular Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby manuel4140 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

NewCX-01 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 pm
I heard CSC does not provide work boots. Could I use my used boots or do I have to buy new.
I heard they have to be specific boots and I think they reimburse you up to $200.00 but i'm not too sure. Keep the receipts and ask later if they will; that's what I'm going to do.

Melanie1
Grand Poobah
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Black polishable boots with composite/steel toes.
I would say old dirty boots will not be welcomed at academy but if you can shine em up real nice it will save your feet. But if you are planning to have new boots might as well break them in during academy and not while working a 16 hour shift.
Always want to be looking top notch during CTP including your boots. Yes they will get dirty during firearms but try to keep on top of them.
Ironed.
Hair done.
Boots polished.
Clean shaved.
CX


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chronoclast17 and 11 guests