Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am

akrishnan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am
Hello all,

I’m wondering how long it takes to hear back after an interview? How soon do the references get contacted. Do you get notified whether I passed or failed ?
It was a few days before my references were contacted. I have not been told if I had passed any step of the interview besides CTP1. I left Psych feeling iffy, but a week later I was invited to medical.
They just seem to proceed to next steps, I am totally fine with it.
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

akrishnan
Rookie Member

Postby akrishnan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 am

noanykey wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am
akrishnan wrote:
Hello all,

I’m wondering how long it takes to hear back after an interview? How soon do the references get contacted. Do you get notified whether I passed or failed ?
It was a few days before my references were contacted. I have not been told if I had passed any step of the interview besides CTP1. I left Psych feeling iffy, but a week later I was invited to medical.

Thank you for your reply. I had a interview about 5 business days ago. No news is good news ?

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

akrishnan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 am
noanykey wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am
akrishnan wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you for your reply. I had a interview about 5 business days ago. No news is good news ?
Yes. no news is good news.

I was on the run fro Primary Worker not too long ago and I did not pass the interview. They sent me an email the follwoing day stating I did not pass it.

Check with the people you put down as references. Packages do mention to keep things confidential but most people do share they received the packages.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Atlanticbear wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:47 pm
noanykey wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 pm
With all due respect, you have a lot of steps to go through so I wouldn't stress about it now. If I pass medical, I have security questionnaire which is last step before CTP2/3 so I'm almost done.
But. Spinach, Chicken, and carrots did wonders for the month I had to wait for my medical tomorrow :)
You're absolutely right! One step at a time. Thanks - good luck.
So I had my medical and it was very easy. I was extremely polite and professional, I told them that it did make me feel uncomfortable and so the reading could be high. They said they could retest it but it wasn't needed.
It's very basic checkup, vision test, and hearing test.

I asked them if I passed and they said yes so hopefully CSC proceeds with the final step :)
CSC
Interview - 1/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Atlanticbear
Rookie Member

Postby Atlanticbear » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 pm

noanykey wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm
Atlanticbear wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:47 pm
noanykey wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 pm
With all due respect, you have a lot of steps to go through so I wouldn't stress about it now. If I pass medical, I have security questionnaire which is last step before CTP2/3 so I'm almost done.
But. Spinach, Chicken, and carrots did wonders for the month I had to wait for my medical tomorrow :)
You're absolutely right! One step at a time. Thanks - good luck.
So I had my medical and it was very easy. I was extremely polite and professional, I told them that it did make me feel uncomfortable and so the reading could be high. They said they could retest it but it wasn't needed.
It's very basic checkup, vision test, and hearing test.

I asked them if I passed and they said yes so hopefully CSC proceeds with the final step :)
Congrats! Glad to hear. Good luck finishing up the process 👍
CORRECTIONS CANADA
Applied: 04/11/2019 - April 11th, 2019
Test: TBD
Test Results: TBD
Interview: TBD
References: TBD
Fingerprinting: TBD
Screening: TBD
Psych Test: TBD
Health Assessment: TBD
Psych Eval: TBD

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a tour of an institution? My nearest is Gravenhurst and I'd love to get a look inside before CTP3 in June.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 am

Hi, everyone,
One question on behalf of my friend, she applied both CX-1 position and CX-2/primary worker position. She failed CX-2 written test but was successful on CX-1 test. She wondered, if she is luck enough to become a CX-1, how can she become a CX-2 from a CX-1 position? Does she still need to apply like an external applicant (such as taking written test and interview)?
Thanks a lot.
MB Correctional Officer
Jan, 2014: written test
Feb, 2014: tour at the jail; 2 interviews
Feb, 2014: basic training invitation
Apr, 2014: started basic training
June, 2014: completed the training
Dec, 2014: passed the probation period, career secured!

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 am

ygu31 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 am
Hi, everyone,
One question on behalf of my friend, she applied both CX-1 position and CX-2/primary worker position. She failed CX-2 written test but was successful on CX-1 test. She wondered, if she is luck enough to become a CX-1, how can she become a CX-2 in future? Does she still need to apply like an external applicant (such as taking written test and interview)?
Thanks a lot.
MB Correctional Officer
Jan, 2014: written test
Feb, 2014: tour at the jail; 2 interviews
Feb, 2014: basic training invitation
Apr, 2014: started basic training
June, 2014: completed the training
Dec, 2014: passed the probation period, career secured!

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:07 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 am
ygu31 wrote:
Hi, everyone,
One question on behalf of my friend, she applied both CX-1 position and CX-2/primary worker position. She failed CX-2 written test but was successful on CX-1 test. She wondered, if she is luck enough to become a CX-1, how can she become a CX-2 in future? Does she still need to apply like an external applicant (such as taking written test and interview)?
Thanks a lot.
Not sure if things for primary are still the same but now they just need to do a situational exam for CX-1s as per the officer during the presentation last weekend at Kent institution. If not, last time I applied for Primary, I had to do the departmental exam - Pretty much summarizing a video they put on a screen. (I only had to do this exam since I previously passed the English Essential exam)

I was on the run for Primary as well and soon going to PEI to complete training for CX-1. When I had my primary worker interview, they mentioned that if I'm successful, I will just need to complete the 1-2 weeks training to properly work with women offenders. As well, I asked what would happen if I didn't succeed and reapply while in training. They mentioned that as long as 6 months have gone by from the day of the interview, I will be interviewed again and if I already passed everything related to CX-1 (medical, psych, security screening, ect), I will just need to do the 2 weeks training previously mentioned. That is of course if I pass the interview for Primary worker which I already applied to again through Jobs.gc.ca

As well, my brother is a former correctional officer now RCMP and was planning to xfer to a primary institution if RCMP didn't accept for him. he mentioned that he just needed to submit the request but never got to it as he was accepted by RCMP.

So I think she has two options:

a. Apply again on jobs.gc.ca and continue with CX-1 process (as all the test - medical, psych, fingerprinting, etc) can be used towards primary

b. complete CX-1 and the xfer ( I assume this would be after completing the 2 year mandatory an at a institution)

Good luck!

akrishnan
Rookie Member

Postby akrishnan » Wed May 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Anyone here currently working as a CX-01? If yes, can you PM I have a few questions about the job. Please and thank you.

Melanie1
Grand Poobah

Postby Melanie1 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Hi, everyone,
One question on behalf of my friend, she applied both CX-1 position and CX-2/primary worker position. She failed CX-2 written test but was successful on CX-1 test. She wondered, if she is luck enough to become a CX-1, how can she become a CX-2 from a CX-1 position? Does she still need to apply like an external applicant (such as taking written test and interview)?
Thanks a lot.

If she follows through with the CX1 posting and goes to an institution, please do not ask on your first few weeks how to become a CX2.

Internal postings for CX2 positions are online, you apply, go through and then sign papers. Usually to apply for a transfer to a women’s centre you should be a CX2 but most are very short so sometimes things change.
CX

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Fri May 03, 2019 1:42 am

Got sent the security questionnaire today! Now I can not be stressed out for my vacation as I am on to the last step before CTP2/3
CSC
Interview - 1/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Fri May 03, 2019 1:57 am

noanykey wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:42 am
Got sent the security questionnaire today! Now I can not be stressed out for my vacation as I am on to the last step before CTP2/3
You might still make it for June!

Rookie Member

Postby AvatarPac » Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am

Hey guys,

Starting my CTP stage 1 training. Any tips on how I should study? Did you guys make notes? And how was the final test?

TeriNB
Rookie Member

Postby TeriNB » Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 am
Hey guys,

Starting my CTP stage 1 training. Any tips on how I should study? Did you guys make notes? And how was the final test?
Hi there, congrats on making it this far! I took notes, notes and more notes. Lol. Make sure you study key points. As long as you take notes and study you should be ok. I started a binder and and divided it by each module. That way it was easier to refer back to something if needed. Be prepared to do some printing as well. Good Luck! I finished CTP1 in December and am still waiting. It can be a long process but from what I have heard it is well worth the wait! 😀