Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

manuel4140

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby manuel4140 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

noanykey wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 pm
Got my CTP 1 Invite and psych appointment today!

Im not the biggest fan of elearning so I hope I do ok.
Congrats! Just make sure you keep up. I got invited to do CPT1 on Dec 21st. Procrastinated a bit due to Xmas + New years and then it was a little overwhelming the amount of time/work I had to put in.

corm95
Rookie Member

Postby corm95 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am

manuel4140 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:34 pm
corm95 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Anybody on here attending CTP3 in Kingston for April 9th?
I hoping to get invited this week considering I just finished the very last requirement b4 training.

Mind me asking - after finishing CTP1 and finishing medical, fingerprints, and psychological, when did you get your CPT3 invite? was it fairly quick after the very last thing you did?

Were you open to all regions or just one in particular? I selected Pacific only..
I finished CTP1 at the end of September and got my invite end of February, so it took a few months from there to move on. However I applied for all regions and will be heading to Saskatchewan once i’m done CTP3, so i’m not sure if your wait will be similar to mine since you’re Pacific only.

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

corm95 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am
manuel4140 wrote:
corm95 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Anybody on here attending CTP3 in Kingston for April 9th?
I hoping to get invited this week considering I just finished the very last requirement b4 training.

Mind me asking - after finishing CTP1 and finishing medical, fingerprints, and psychological, when did you get your CPT3 invite? was it fairly quick after the very last thing you did?

Were you open to all regions or just one in particular? I selected Pacific only..
I finished CTP1 at the end of September and got my invite end of February, so it took a few months from there to move on. However I applied for all regions and will be heading to Saskatchewan once i’m done CTP3, so i’m not sure if your wait will be similar to mine since you’re Pacific only.
Sounds like I will be waiting a while. I guess I just have to let the system run its course.

Thanks!

corm95
Rookie Member

Postby corm95 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 am

manuel4140 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am
corm95 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am
manuel4140 wrote:

Sounds like I will be waiting a while. I guess I just have to let the system run its course.

Thanks!
You might get lucky with timing, you never know! Just gotta keep doing your everyday thing until then.

Best of luck with everything, hopefully you get an offer sooner than later :D

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Had my interview 12 days ago, they phone interviewed my boss yesterday and sent me for fingerprinting and medical to be set up within the next week. They're not messing around with me it would seem.

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 pm

hockeyguy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:45 pm
Had my interview 12 days ago, they phone interviewed my boss yesterday and sent me for fingerprinting and medical to be set up within the next week. They're not messing around with me it would seem.
I hope you are right! I have two degrees and two professional certificates from work (promoted over time) and I'm still counting the seconds.. People often say "you have a university degree, you'll have no problem getting in" and they were wrong. I thought I would've been training in Kingston by now :( but it'll be later for sure...

Just last week I thought I finished everything they require and yesterday I got a security questionnaire that will take a week to get there and who knows how long before they schedule a phone interview to go over my answers.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm

hockeyguy wrote:
That's weird. You should be in CTP 1 by now. I'm working through CTP 1 and have yet to do Medical and Finger printing.. I do have my psych evaluation on Monday though. My references got packages too not phone calls. Curious to know if you're pacific? Maybe it's different from province to province??

Manuel, don't get discouraged.. This (like all) LEO processes takes time. There's one guy here, not sure if CSC but he injured himself during training and had to bail out of a program.. While you wait, go get some firearm practice.. you only get 3 attempts to pass before they fail you. Sign up to Police Judo to get some UofF training.. Plenty of stuff to get you prepared for CTP 3 so you're not constantly refreshing your email browser :)
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 pm
hockeyguy wrote:
I hope you are right! I have two degrees and two professional certificates from work (promoted over time) and I'm still counting the seconds.. People often say "you have a university degree, you'll have no problem getting in" and they were wrong. I thought I would've been training in Kingston by now :( but it'll be later for sure...

Just last week I thought I finished everything they require and yesterday I got a security questionnaire that will take a week to get there and who knows how long before they schedule a phone interview to go over my answers.

whatever you do. dont wait on this or get excited as I have. I've gone mental lol

Herb Powell
Veteran Member

Postby Herb Powell » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 pm

noanykey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm
hockeyguy wrote:
That's weird. You should be in CTP 1 by now. I'm working through CTP 1 and have yet to do Medical and Finger printing.. I do have my psych evaluation on Monday though. My references got packages too not phone calls. Curious to know if you're pacific? Maybe it's different from province to province??

Manuel, don't get discouraged.. This (like all) LEO processes takes time. There's one guy here, not sure if CSC but he injured himself during training and had to bail out of a program.. While you wait, go get some firearm practice.. you only get 3 attempts to pass before they fail you. Sign up to Police Judo to get some UofF training.. Plenty of stuff to get you prepared for CTP 3 so you're not constantly refreshing your email browser :)
I would advise against firearm practise. You could end up teaching yourself bad habits that are hard to break. They'll teach you everything you need to know about firearms and use of force at training.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:27 am

^I've shot a gun once.. I just want to go in knowing the basics on how to use firearms :P
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am

manuel4140 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:58 pm
hockeyguy wrote:

I hope so too! Who knows though. I have a degree too and a bit of experience with emergency response but they seemed most excited about my volunteering on a crisis line and that I did a course on mental health.

Good luck!

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:07 am

noanykey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm
hockeyguy wrote:
Yeah I was pretty surprised. My boss got an email too for the reference check but he doesn't really have first hand knowledge of me to answer their questions because I work alone so he wanted to talk to them in person to explain my role and that my reviews and feedback was all good. Calling instead of filling out the package is an option for all references I believe.

I'm in Ontario but I was expecting the same process that you described. Anyway, I'm not complaining. Could be because I recently moved back to Canada from the UK but who knows.

:P I'm just secretly hoping that they love me so much they're pushing me into the next class! Kidding, but only sort of. I'd love to get this moving haha

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Just got sent my security questionnaire form today too.

kasiero

Postby kasiero » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Patience is key everybody don’t let the process consume you it will just bring unnecessary stress. Just life your life stay positive. I wrote my exam today hopefully I passed. Good luck to all I was told today that they need to fill a lot of seats for June so that should give you an idea of how things should work out in the next few months. :boxer:

kasiero

Postby kasiero » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Live your Life typo :banghead: