Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jessicaquesnel19
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Jessicaquesnel19 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:24 am

How did your spych go

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am

Psych is an interesting thing. You get personality tests followed by an interview. During the interview they go over the results and they found something about me. I agreed, we talked, I went to background check.
There was one guy here who unfortunately dodged some questions and he has to wait 2 years. Will not mention names but his story is in this thread.

I didn't pass CTP 3, I only got 2 months in before my strikes. But CTP 3 is a hell of a lotta fun. But extremely eye opening because of one video you'll watch called 'blood in the cells'

If you have anyone has questions, feel free to PM. I'm no help in Shotguns, 40mm, spray, and I will not divulge into the details of DBT's.
I'm probs going to reattempt the BC Sheriff Service and put my hat in for Provincial CO as the jails are incredibly closer than Kent for experience before attempting CSC again, but I will help out applicants to CSC as best as I can. I was in Kingston for training.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Mkelly871
Rookie Member

Postby Mkelly871 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Any tips for the CTP1 tests? I’m just about finished and I’m a little nervous going into the test.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Mkelly871 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 pm
Any tips for the CTP1 tests? I’m just about finished and I’m a little nervous going into the test.
I just finished CTP1 in Oct. The test is pretty easy. Just watch the wording! And don’t overthink. You’ll do great.

Did you do psych in Calgary? I was there and haven’t heard anything back.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Mkelly871
Rookie Member

Postby Mkelly871 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:36 pm

JACX wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm
Mkelly871 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 pm
I just finished CTP1 in Oct. The test is pretty easy. Just watch the wording! And don’t overthink. You’ll do great.

Did you do psych in Calgary? I was there and haven’t heard anything back.
Awesome :) that’s what I needed to hear.
I have it on the 30th of October, took them a while to book it. As my signature states I did everything before my psyc.

greenpea19
Rookie Member

Postby greenpea19 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Out of curiosity, if you fail your interview or your references does recruitment contact you to let you know?

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 pm

greenpea19 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 pm
Out of curiosity, if you fail your interview or your references does recruitment contact you to let you know?
Yes. You will receive an email.
JACX

CTP3:TBD

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Had my interview on September 23rd at Kent, and have yet to hear back. From reading people’s timelines, people typically hear back no more than a week after their interview. Does anyone know if there a backlog in the pacific region?

Pdl
Rookie Member

Postby Pdl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:27 pm

I was told that they consider your interview and your references and then give you an overall grade. I took that to mean that you could do well at interview and then fail the process due to inadequate references.

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm

miscaware wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Had my interview on September 23rd at Kent, and have yet to hear back. From reading people’s timelines, people typically hear back no more than a week after their interview. Does anyone know if there a backlog in the pacific region?
I know Kent is hiring a lot right now due to all the transfers and staff on leave. The amount of new staff getting hired all at once is crazy

bulldoglover4
Rookie Member

Postby bulldoglover4 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Has anyone that did their psych at the beginning of October in Calgary heard anything?

bcfella
Rookie Member

Postby bcfella » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 am

noanykey wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am
Psych is an interesting thing. You get personality tests followed by an interview. During the interview they go over the results and they found something about me. I agreed, we talked, I went to background check.
There was one guy here who unfortunately dodged some questions and he has to wait 2 years. Will not mention names but his story is in this thread.

I didn't pass CTP 3, I only got 2 months in before my strikes. But CTP 3 is a hell of a lotta fun. But extremely eye opening because of one video you'll watch called 'blood in the cells'

If you have anyone has questions, feel free to PM. I'm no help in Shotguns, 40mm, spray, and I will not divulge into the details of DBT's.
I'm probs going to reattempt the BC Sheriff Service and put my hat in for Provincial CO as the jails are incredibly closer than Kent for experience before attempting CSC again, but I will help out applicants to CSC as best as I can. I was in Kingston for training.
As someone who failed CTP, should you really be offering advice on CSC, training etc?
CX 1

Tommyefc
Rookie Member

Postby Tommyefc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:21 am

Does anyone have any ideas on timelines after interview. My interview was Sept 30 and references where sent the same day, no contact after this. I’ve been contacted for B.C corrections but I’m holding out for Federal.

Any info would be appreciated.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:16 am

bcfella wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 am
noanykey wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am

As someone who failed CTP, should you really be offering advice on CSC, training etc?
That's not very nice.
They can pm me with expectations if they like. Though I failed, I can still advise (aside from DBT's) on what they can expect to witness in Kingston.
I didn't say that I was the all holy master of CSC and to come to me with anything, but if people want to know what it may be like, feel free to PM me and as stated before, I will help out applicant to CSC as best as I can.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Tommyefc wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:21 am
Does anyone have any ideas on timelines after interview. My interview was Sept 30 and references where sent the same day, no contact after this. I’ve been contacted for B.C corrections but I’m holding out for Federal.

Any info would be appreciated.
You won’t hear anything back immediately. My interview was the end of July, references were complete in Aug. I received information mid Sept for Medical, fingerprinting etc, and then began CTP1.
Now once again waiting. Which could be another 2-3months minimum, depending on regional need and the top down selection.

It’s a double edged sword waiting, when other CPO positions are popping up and you don’t take them, plus you might not even make it through CSC process.Then have the waiting period.
Something to consider.

I feel your pain.
JACX