Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Z42A
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:41 am

Isnorm wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:17 pm
Hello,

I have recently just passed and completed CTP 1, and still needing my psych evaluation done. Does anyone know how lone after CTP1 you start CTP2? I am in the prairie region as well.

Thanks! :D
This question comes up a lot, and we were just discussing it a few minutes ago. Here's the answer for everyone wondering about how long it takes:

After all those steps are completed, it is literally a waiting game. The time frame varies for every person, depending on their application start and how fast they complete the process. That doesn't mean the faster you go through stage 1 the faster you get to stage 2.
Invitations to do Stage 2 and a conditional letter of offer don't go out until about a month before the start of Stage 3. If you finish the Stage 1 process but there is no Stage 3 starting soon, then you will be waiting longer. There are 4 CTP's starting in PEI in January, for example, and although we know how many recruits are being sent, we will not receive their names until mid December. That's when those applicants will receive a conditional letter of offer and access to the Stage 2 online training.

I hope this helps.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Yyc123
Rookie Member

Postby Yyc123 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Does anyone know when a new PW comeptition will open? Thanks in advance for any information :)

looking4anewjob
Rookie Member

Postby looking4anewjob » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Could anyone make an educated guess when the next job posting for CX 01's for the PRA region will be posted? Perhaps Jan. 2021?

ghost089
Rookie Member

Postby ghost089 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:28 pm

paccx wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 pm
PTSD and other mental injuries are a serious issue within the Correctional Services. This video should be watched by all potential candidates and recruits.

https://youtu.be/LcWiF_fQwEw
Thanks for the post. Was aware of the reality beforehand, but was an excellent conversation starter with the wife.

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Is anyone can give me some information about CTP 2? How is the material and assessments? Is there any exam about CTP 2 on the first day of CTP 3?
I appreciate any help in advance.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Blue sky wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:17 pm
Is anyone can give me some information about CTP 2? How is the material and assessments? Is there any exam about CTP 2 on the first day of CTP 3?
CTP2 i dont really remember all that much. your work will be verified at CTP3. You will have an exam your first week. It is a strikeable.

Also. This was Kingston not sure about PEI.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks for your answer. I'm in Ontario too. Hopefully they send me to Kingston too. I have done all the steps and waiting for job offer and starting stage 2.

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:33 pm

noanykey wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 pm
Blue sky wrote:
CTP2 i dont really remember all that much. your work will be verified at CTP3. You will have an exam your first week. It is a strikeable.

Also. This was Kingston not sure about PEI.
Thanks for your reply.

Mike101
Rookie Member

Postby Mike101 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:39 am

Just wondering if theres anyone on the board that’s working at the Grande Cache Institution.
Just wondering if the majority of officers are living in the town or make the drive from elsewhere(not sure if Hinton is is an option or if it’s too much driving with the shifts)

Also is there any opportunity in the town for a partner to find employment... or too few jobs

Thanks .. any info will help

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 am

Blue sky wrote:
There is an exam on the first day of CTP that covers the Stage 2 materials. It is the tied with the final security exam for the longest tests that you take in CTP, and as has been mentioned by another response, it is a "strikeable" test... meaning it falls under the CSC retest policy, and you must get 70% or higher to pass. Failing it a second time results in you being released from the program and sent home. It also counts towards the "three strikes" limit of failed exams which result in release as a training failure.
Matt Chinn, CD

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 am
Blue sky wrote:
There is an exam on the first day of CTP that covers the Stage 2 materials. It is the tied with the final security exam for the longest tests that you take in CTP, and as has been mentioned by another response, it is a "strikeable" test... meaning it falls under the CSC retest policy, and you must get 70% or higher to pass. Failing it a second time results in you being released from the program and sent home. It also counts towards the "three strikes" limit of failed exams which result in release as a training failure.
Thanks for your complete answer. CTP 01 was easy, how is CTP 02? As I know we have to do some assignments in CTP 02 and bring them to training academy. Is that material given in CTP 02is enough to do the assignments?

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:47 pm

Blue sky wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:33 pm
Z42A wrote:
Blue sky wrote:
Thanks for your complete answer. CTP 01 was easy, how is CTP 02? As I know we have to do some assignments in CTP 02 and bring them to training academy. Is that material given in CTP 02is enough to do the assignments?
Oh yes. It's a lot of information. There's more than enough to complete the assignments. The entirety of the assignments must be completed before coming for Stage 3. The benefit of the online training is that, when you get to Stage 3, we really don't teach you much about the theoretical / academic portions (Law and Policy for example) but rather go over it and confirm your knowledge, that you've absorbed the information. The real teaching part comes with the hard skills / physical skills (can't learn self defence or shooting online).
Matt Chinn, CD

ana00712
Rookie Member

Postby ana00712 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well! I got an email today from ON recruitment to start training in Kingston Jan 2021 and i’m being offered a position in Beaver Creek Institution for CX-01 in Ontario! I’m super excited for the remainder of my journey! I have a couple of questions. Once I confirm my interest, will the CSC send me a link to complete Stage 2 or would I have to access the link from Stage 1? Also, any advice on the training in Kingston? How are the living accommodations like? What items should I pack with me? I would appreciate any advice/suggestions! Wishing everyone in the process all the best!
Last edited by ana00712 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mel1978
Rookie Member

Postby Mel1978 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 pm

ana00712 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:38 pm
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well! I got an email today from ON recruitment to start training in Kingston Jan 12, 2020 and i’m being offered a position in Beaver Creek Institution for CX-01 in Ontario! I’m super excited for the remainder of my journey! I have a couple of questions. Once I confirm my interest, will the CSC send me a link to complete Stage 2 or would I have to access the link from Stage 1? Also, any advice on the training in Kingston? How are the living accommodations like? What items should I pack with me? I would appreciate any advice/suggestions! Wishing everyone in the process all the best!

I’m interested to know how long ago you applied
Hoping to hear from Ontario Recruitment as well.
Applied: May 2019
Testing: May 2019
Interview: August 2019
References: August 2019
CTP1: Passed Oct. 2019
Psych: Nov 2019
Fingerprinting: Oct 2019
Medical: Passed Feb 2020

Blue sky
Rookie Member

Postby Blue sky » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:47 pm
Blue sky wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:33 pm
Z42A wrote:

Oh yes. It's a lot of information. There's more than enough to complete the assignments. The entirety of the assignments must be completed before coming for Stage 3. The benefit of the online training is that, when you get to Stage 3, we really don't teach you much about the theoretical / academic portions (Law and Policy for example) but rather go over it and confirm your knowledge, that you've absorbed the information. The real teaching part comes with the hard skills / physical skills (can't learn self defence or shooting online).
Thanks very much for all of the information and your time. I really appreciate it.