Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Z42A

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Z42A » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:28 pm

"Hey Matt Chinn,

Do you expect this will be the last group until after Christmas due to holidays? Is this a new group of recruits or still the ones from before COVID finishing up? I tried emailing Ontario Recruitment to see if I could get an update on where I was because it will be a year since my psych and test in the next few months and wasn’t sure the regulations with this due to COVID, but unfortunately they didn’t reply, but I’m sure they are very busy and getting lots of emails."

There will be 3 graduations in PEI the week of Dec 15. The recruits for the next courses will begin arriving around 27 December, to begin their 2 week isolation period. The training for CTP's 5 thru 8 will begin around the second week of January.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

AdaptOvercome
Rookie Member

Postby AdaptOvercome » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:18 pm

PeddleMama wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 pm
AdaptOvercome wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 pm
redemptionmaster wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm
Hey everyone,

I have been given a interest offer to attend training in Abbotsford beginning November 18, 2 weeks prior will be self quarantine. If anyone else is beginning at this time, PM me.

Hello,

I also was provided a potential training start date Nov 18th to Feb 18, 2021. This is providing no more Covid shut downs. Self iso starts Nov 2-16th; fly out 16th. What area did you apply for? (Curious since you mention training in Abbotsford) I was also informed if Nov start cannot happen then they’re looking at Jan or Feb start date.

I've been put on a waitlist to start CTP 3 in Saskatoon SK nov. 18 start.

I have received a letter of interest for a start date Nov 18th in Saskatoon. Do you know what facility in Saskatoon we will train in? Thank you.

Mel1978
Rookie Member

Postby Mel1978 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:28 pm
"Hey Matt Chinn,

Do you expect this will be the last group until after Christmas due to holidays? Is this a new group of recruits or still the ones from before COVID finishing up? I tried emailing Ontario Recruitment to see if I could get an update on where I was because it will be a year since my psych and test in the next few months and wasn’t sure the regulations with this due to COVID, but unfortunately they didn’t reply, but I’m sure they are very busy and getting lots of emails."

There will be 3 graduations in PEI the week of Dec 15. The recruits for the next courses will begin arriving around 27 December, to begin their 2 week isolation period. The training for CTP's 5 thru 8 will begin around the second week of January.
Thank you so much for your answer.
Do you know if the schedule is the same in Ontario? Any insight on what’s happening?
Applied: May 2019
Testing: May 2019
Interview: August 2019
References: August 2019
CTP1: Passed Oct. 2019 & again March 2021
Psych: Nov 2019
Fingerprinting: Oct 2019
Medical: Passed Feb 2020

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Anybody receive any solicits of interest?

PeddleMama
Rookie Member

Postby PeddleMama » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:46 pm

I have recieved an email confirming my interest for ctp 3 in saskatoon nov 1818-Feb 18 for cx2
CSC Process
Oct19-Application
Nov19-Exam
Nov19-Interview
Mar20-References
Sept20-Psychological, Security Screening Docs, CTP1
Jan20-Medical and SS Interview
Nov20- Saskatoon Training CTP3

Z42A

Postby Z42A » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 am

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your answer.
Do you know if the schedule is the same in Ontario? Any insight on what’s happening?
[/quote]

I don't know for certain, but I believe they're running the similar schedule. The issue with Kingston is that Ontario is more susceptible and harder to isolate, so lockdowns are a bigger impact and possibility. PEI is easily segregated (close the airport, the bridge and the ferry and we're cut off) so less likely to close down again, though not impossible.
Matt Chinn, CD
Sergeant Major, Prairie Region Guard of Honour
Staff Training Officer (CX3)
CSC National Satellite Training Academy
Correctional Service of Canada | Government of Canada
matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

AdaptOvercome
Rookie Member

Saskatoon Training

Postby AdaptOvercome » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Hello

Looking for information on the Saskatoon CTP-3 facility...Is it set up barracks style or are recruits in neighbouring hotel rooms? Where are the meals served; mess hall; grab & go bags etc. Communal showers or shared bathrooms? Is a recruit permitted to drive rather than fly if they wish to do so?

Any thoughts on scheduling? ie) start time 0530hrs lights out 2200hrs

Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I see there's a lot of people going into CTP3 soon.. I cannot stress this enough how important this one thing is. All your training, conflict resolution, and use of force revolves around the multi-colored circle of the 'Engagement and Intervention Model'.
If you google that exact phrase, the first thing that comes up (I mean, it should have already come up in CTP 1) is the circle everything we did in CTP3 is based off of.
I can't say how it is in PEI, Saskatoon, or Abbotsford but in Kingston.. this was drilled into our heads.

Study that while you travel to CTP 3 and have a wonderful time!

Edit: this was June 2019, so if they changed it, I apologize..
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

MrMKL021
Rookie Member

Postby MrMKL021 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:59 am

Milzrellin wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 pm
Anybody receive any solicits of interest?
I received it, the email about doing the questionnaire about the institutions/other regions that I’m interested in.

Carlos88
Rookie Member

Postby Carlos88 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Thank you all for posting your process here it has guided me tremendously. I submitted my application back in July of 2019, since I have completed every requirement including CTP1; now Im waiting on an employment offer to proceed to CTP 2-3. I have selected Ontario region as the only place to be considered because of family matters. My questions are as follows.

I did my psych exam in August and have not heard back about it from recruiting. If you pass the psychology portion, are we to hear any feed back or is it only if you fail? Or am I to assume that I passed?

Anything valuable will be greatly appreciated guys.
Federal Corrections
Applied: 7/19
SJT: 10/19
Interview: 05/20
References: 05/20
Fingerprints: 06/15
Security Questionnaire: 06/20
Medical exam/audiogram: 07/20
CTP1: start 07/20 - end 08/20
Psychological exam & interview: 8/20
CTP2/3: 01/21

AdaptOvercome
Rookie Member

Postby AdaptOvercome » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Carlos88 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm
Thank you all for posting your process here it has guided me tremendously. I submitted my application back in July of 2019, since I have completed every requirement including CTP1; now Im waiting on an employment offer to proceed to CTP 2-3. I have selected Ontario region as the only place to be considered because of family matters. My questions are as follows.

I did my psych exam in August and have not heard back about it from recruiting. If you pass the psychology portion, are we to hear any feed back or is it only if you fail? Or am I to assume that I passed?

Hello

My experience is no news regarding psych is good news. I did my psych written & psych video interview late September and within 3 days received a call with a CTP-3 start date. 4 days later my invitation of interest arrived for CTP-2 & 3.

I know of one person that was not successful and received an email thanking him/her for their interest; they’re no longer candidates for the selection process. Hopefully they don’t give up and reapply when they are qualified to do so; very nice individual.

If you haven’t received an email that you were unsuccessful I’d say you passed. It’s a very long process so hang in there!

Luskie

Postby Luskie » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Carlos88 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:36 pm

My experience is similar to the above poster, no news is truly good news.

I had my psych test and interview in June, I didn't hear back from CSC with my next step until 3 months later (to the day)

I know of people that tested the same week I did and had unsuccessful results within 2 weeks from testing.

I suspect the real hold up is being only available for Ontario, its the hardest provence to be posted in due to how many people want to transfer back & how many people select it.

Good luck
Federal Corrections
Application: 7/19
SJT: 7/19
Interview: 11/19
References: 12/19
Fingerprints: 12/19
CTP1: 12/19
Medical & audiogram: 1/20
MMPI-2, 16PF & Interview: 6/20
Security Questionnaire: 9/20
CTP 2 & 3: TBD

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm

When I email Ontario recruitment they don’t answer LOL. Not sure why but I geuss they have so many applicants. Anybody else heard about any hiring in Ontario. I’ve applied for this position in May of 2019. 100% done the process in February 2020. Haven’t heard anything about ctp3. I think they are only filling classes for the Prairie. Anybody else have any news ?

Luskie

Postby Luskie » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Milzrellin wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm
When I email Ontario recruitment they don’t answer LOL. Not sure why but I geuss they have so many applicants. Anybody else heard about any hiring in Ontario. I’ve applied for this position in May of 2019. 100% done the process in February 2020. Haven’t heard anything about ctp3. I think they are only filling classes for the Prairie. Anybody else have any news ?
Generally when I email them for something they'll email me back within the day; are you emailing for a file update / progress or a specific question?

I've only asked for an update once and they never replied to that.

Also, what regions do you have selected for posting? By your post I'm unsure if you only have Ontario, or you were referring to speaking with the ontario branch of recruitment.
Federal Corrections
Application: 7/19
SJT: 7/19
Interview: 11/19
References: 12/19
Fingerprints: 12/19
CTP1: 12/19
Medical & audiogram: 1/20
MMPI-2, 16PF & Interview: 6/20
Security Questionnaire: 9/20
CTP 2 & 3: TBD

Recruit20
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit20 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:35 pm

I am new to the forum.

I recently applied for Correctional Level 1 in Ontario. I completed the Wonderlic test yesterday.

I am curious about the background check also referred to as a the enhanced security clearance.

I know in the past it was a background check and references. Is it more in depth now? What exactly is it? Will they be interviewing neighbours and family like they do when applying to become a police officer?

Thank you in advance for any information.
Applied August 2020-accepted
Wonderlic - October 2020
REACT - November 2020
FITCO - November 2020
Interview - Jan 21st, 2021
Interview response email - Jan 26, 2021
VSC- Received by CSRU Feb, 2021
Background/Security check- pending
Neo- February 18, 2021