Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Milzrellin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

CX Chinn, im sure everyone on this forum appreciates the knowledge. I have been waiting for final offer of training (CTP 3) for a while now but I understand everything is back logged on the other side with COVID 19. Good luck to everyone.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 am

Critical08 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am
Cx01member wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 am
Critical08 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 am
https://globalnews.ca/news/6827083/guar ... ers-union/

Make sure you know what you're getting into. Stay safe out there

Always have my guard up, just the way things are ran at my institution for some reason. We are the only max that I know of that do walks alone with all the cons out. I’ve heard kent and millhaven lock them up first. Stay safe as well
I know Kent doesn't lock them up for walks
I have never been to Kent, but I had a tour in Millhaven last year, CM there mentioned they do have similar protocol as Kent, so I think they do need to be locked up first.
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

singhm
Rookie Member

Postby singhm » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm

CX Chin,

Can you also update us with the training schedule for new recruits (when it becomes available)?

I have completed CTP 1 (all items such as psych, security, medical, etc.) and waiting for CTP 2 and CTP 3 invitation.

I was expecting to start training sometime mid-summer, which I think will be delayed till fall.

I understand the situation is changing every day, but any update will surely help with future decisions.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 pm

singhm wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm
CX Chin,

Can you also update us with the training schedule for new recruits (when it becomes available)?

I have completed CTP 1 (all items such as psych, security, medical, etc.) and waiting for CTP 2 and CTP 3 invitation.

I was expecting to start training sometime mid-summer, which I think will be delayed till fall.

I understand the situation is changing every day, but any update will surely help with future decisions.

We are on roughly a 6 week delay. Those who were suppose to commence training in May and June might not end up at the academy until Aug or Sept.
Once you get your invitation it will be approx. 2mths after that.
It’s really tough to gauge right now. But I can’t see us heading out until August at the earliest, depending on our current situation and the possibility of a second wave in Aug/Sept.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Mon May 04, 2020 11:14 am

I don't know where people on here are getting their scheduling information, but you must have better sources than I do (the office where they're working on this is 40 feet from where I'm currently sitting). We are still trying to get recruits trained and graduated who were interrupted 3 weeks or less from their graduation. We haven't even begun to schedule the training completion for CTP-09, who were about 5 weeks from grad. That's not even addressing completing the training for the 3 CTP's that were ongoing in Kingston.

At this point, it is completely useless to speculate on when the next new courses will start. We simply do not know. PEI cannot train anyone until the province gives the go ahead.

Don't "expect to start training" at all. Until you have the letter or email in your hand, with a specific CTP # and a start date / location, you have not been offered anything, even if you've already been doing Stage 2.

If I hear anything different, I promise I'll post the information here. Don't rely on other applicant's speculations or conjectures on when courses will start. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration that way.

I do my best to be as factual as possible, and identify rumour and guesswork very clearly as being just that. As some of you have taken a clearly identified rumour as being factual, and that got back to my manager within 24 hours, I have been directed to only post information which is 100% confirmed. As such, I have amended the original post, and from here out I will ONLY post confirmed information. Please do not contact me for best guesses or speculation.
I'm trying to help you all to get through the application process as painlessly as possible, with a clear understanding of what's happening, and somebody F@#$&d it up for the rest. Good start.
Last edited by Z42A on Tue May 05, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Avon0072
Rookie Member

Postby Avon0072 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Z42A wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:14 am
I don't know where people on here are getting their scheduling information, but you must have better sources than I do (the office where they're working on this is 40 feet from where I'm currently sitting). We are still trying to get recruits trained and graduated who were interrupted 3 weeks or less from their graduation. We haven't even begun to schedule the training completion for CTP-09, who were about 5 weeks from grad. That's not even addressing completing the training for the 3 CTP's that were ongoing in Kingston.

At this point, it is completely useless to speculate on when the next new courses will start. We simply do not know. PEI cannot train anyone until the province gives the go ahead. Ontario is one of the hardest hit regions in the country, so they won't be starting anything anytime soon. Likely, when PEI gives the go-ahead, we'll look at bringing the partially trained personnel from Kingston to the island to complete their training here. Most likely, it will be in small sections, or partial numbers. Not 32 recruits at a time, but more likely 16 or even 8 at a time. That pushes everything back. I won't hazard a guess, but I think that believing that new CTPs will start up in September is pretty optimistic, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Don't "expect to start training" at all. Until you have the letter or email in your hand, with a specific CTP # and a start date / location, you have not been offered anything, even if you've already been doing Stage 2.

If I hear anything different, I promise I'll post the information here. Don't rely on other applicant's speculations or conjectures on when courses will start. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration that way.

Any directives on timelines, like if you did a medical/psych eval in August of last year would that be valid longer than usual? or would I have to redo that all over again?

I'm also curious as to know if CSC is relying solely on the provinces for public health guidelines, or is it also consulting with PHAC for guidelines.

striker

Postby striker » Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 am

Z42A wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:19 am
Just a brief update on the CTP training situation currently:

Later this week the plan is to begin training at several institutions in Prairies and Pacific regions. The recruits who were on CTP07 and CTP08 (both PEI) who are not relocating and live close to the institutions they received a conditional letter of offer from will resume training to complete the approximately 3 weeks left in their courses. Upon completion, they will be able to begin working at their institutions.

Following this, the management at L&D are putting together a plan to potentially train the recruits who live close to AN institution, but not necessarily the one they will ultimately work at. There will be several stages conducted to attempt to get those people trained and to work. Don't take this post as gospel, as the plan is very much in flux and being adjusted daily. L&D is trying very hard to be able to complete your training so that you can get to work. As for new CTP's, I haven't heard anything yet how they will address this with the current Covid situation, but they are working on it.

There is a possibility of bringing CTP's from Kingston to PEI to complete the courses, including the French PFC's. This is because PEI is much more isolated and easy to control the exposure to Covid. Be aware, if training resumes in PEI you will almost certainly be confined to the Slemon Park area (if you've ever been confined to base/barracks in the military, you know what this means) for the entirety of the training.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Wash your hands, you filthy animals.
so..are instructors double bunking?
asking for a friend. :mrgreen:
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am

Hopefully CSC will follow suit with RCMP depot training.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2020 ... mp-academy

:sniper: :pistols:

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 am

Napa123 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am

Yeah, because CSC has a long history of doing the same thing that the RCMP does.

Baaaahahahahahahaha!!
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:29 am

Z42A wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 am
Napa123 wrote:

Yeah, because CSC has a long history of doing the same thing that the RCMP does.

Baaaahahahahahahaha!!
Agreed, Lol. It was a hopeful post but highly unlikely. :banghead:

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:33 am

Napa123 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:29 am
Z42A wrote:
Napa123 wrote:

Baaaahahahahahahaha!!

Mostafa
Rookie Member

Postby Mostafa » Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 am

Napa123 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:33 am
Napa123 wrote:
Z42A wrote:

Baaaahahahahahahaha!!
Hello everyone,
I had a question if anyone has an idea.
What the shift schedule look like at the Drumheller institution ? Can I have chance to choose between different schedules as a rookie ?
Also, does anyone knows if we might have to repeat steps in the hiring ng process due to expirations because of the vivid situation or not ?

bulldoglover4
Rookie Member

Postby bulldoglover4 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am

Mostafa wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 am
Napa123 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:33 am
Napa123 wrote:

Hello everyone,
I had a question if anyone has an idea.
What the shift schedule look like at the Drumheller institution ? Can I have chance to choose between different schedules as a rookie ?
Also, does anyone knows if we might have to repeat steps in the hiring ng process due to expirations because of the vivid situation or not ?
I'm starting to get a bit concerned about this as well. Hoping we hear soon about what the plan is for the near future and that CTPs are back to training shortly.

Wristshot
Rookie Member

Postby Wristshot » Thu May 28, 2020 10:53 am

drumheller has a 12 hour schedule and a 9-16-9 schedule. pretty sure there are vacancies on both schedules, meaning you could probably do either. just a matter of emailing the scheduling manager and asking to find out
cx

Mostafa
Rookie Member

Postby Mostafa » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.
Is the 12 hrs shift rotation 4 days on and 4 days off kinda deal ? And what about the 9-16-9 how many days off after that ?