Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Napa123
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Napa123 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Anyone hand writing their CTP2?

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Napa123 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm
Anyone handwriting their CTP2?

A_C_P_91
Rookie Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:40 pm

I can't get over how long the process can take just for the initial invite for stage 1. RCMP got back to me in 3 days after application. Anyone else wait a long time for the process to begin? I am sitting at around 5 months now.

Not the complaining type just thought based on what I keep hearing about others processes and the need for staff, I would have thought by now I would have heard something.

Happy holidays everyone!

JWilson23
Rookie Member

Postby JWilson23 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm

ygu31 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm
JWilson23 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm
Napa123 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Have you received anything yet in regards to CTP2?
I haven’t heard anything yet, I just received my offer this morning so I’m assuming maybe later today or perhaps this week we’ll get something for it.
Hi, Jwilson,
Congrats for your success. I will see you at Kingston, My graduation date is Jan 23, and I can at least say hi and welcome on board to you few days before the graduation. I assume you will indeed start on Jan 21st as your day 0 (orientation, and Jan 22 would be your day 1). It is joyful training and you will enjoy it.
PS, it seems we both work for Ontario Public Service as well :-)

You are correct, day 0 is orientation. I appreciate the congrats and congrats to you as well. I look forward to meeting you! What institution will you be heading to?
Ontario Park Warden
Ontario Conservation Officer
Federal Correctional Officer: Accepted

ygu31
Rookie Member

Postby ygu31 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:39 am

JWilson23 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm
ygu31 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm
JWilson23 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm

I haven’t heard anything yet, I just received my offer this morning so I’m assuming maybe later today or perhaps this week we’ll get something for it.
Hi, Jwilson,
Congrats for your success. I will see you at Kingston, My graduation date is Jan 23, and I can at least say hi and welcome on board to you few days before the graduation. I assume you will indeed start on Jan 21st as your day 0 (orientation, and Jan 22 would be your day 1). It is joyful training and you will enjoy it.
PS, it seems we both work for Ontario Public Service as well :-)

You are correct, day 0 is orientation. I appreciate the congrats and congrats to you as well. I look forward to meeting you! What institution will you be heading to?
I am going to Pacific Institution, at Abbotsford, BC. That's 5000 km away from my home (Ottawa), because my wife simply gave me a choice between Vancouver or divorce. I chose Vancouver because Vancouver would be much cheaper compare to divorce and child support :D :D
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

striker

Postby striker » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:20 am

Dk94 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:30 pm
I even remember the managers running the sjt were encouraging applicants to seeks training ahead of loading on course. More knowledge isn't a bad thing in any way as long as you can shut up and do how they want it done.
I was a small arms instructor in the infantry for 9 years..firearms instructor with CSC for 12..
The people that gave me the most grief where long time hunters or people that took training outside of CSC..
Any training is good if it is from someone that knows what they are doing.
However..on CTP the instructors don't have time to undo training you've taken that conflicts with the drills they are trying to teach you.
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:30 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:58 pm
Dk94 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:00 pm
noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am

A good chunk of recruits in my core never fired a gun before. They had zero issues on the firing range.
Do not walk in there with the "I know" mentality.
My thing was I get into my own head during tests and I screw up. The firearms instruction is excellent. Save your money.
Didn't you get booted off course for a firearms safety issue?
Sure did!
However, I liked my wording on it.
You're that "I know" guy aren't ya?

Your attitude towards Melanie will get you sent right back home with your PER full of behavioral issues. I was invited back in 2 weeks, the dude with the PER full of negative stuff had to wait a year.
I got released from the program with advice to go immediately back into it. I chose not to as I wanted to explore alternative options (that and the round trip to my institution is 3 hours).
You can take this advice however you want.. And have a wonderful time at CTP3!
I was in the cf and never went past private plus a bouncer for a number of years, I can eat shit from any one with a smile, my attitude on course wouldn't be a problem plus I know I'm applying for all the right reasons. I took the post a little to far but my initial post was made with good intentions

nicad
Rookie Member

Postby nicad » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:42 pm

greenpea19 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Out of curiosity... does anyone know how long we are on probation after getting hired? Does it start during cpt3 training or after?
Pretty sure it starts afterwards because you aren’t technically “hired” until training is complete. And it’s one year probation period from date of start.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:43 am

nicad wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:42 pm
greenpea19 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Out of curiosity... does anyone know how long we are on probation after getting hired? Does it start during cpt3 training or after?
Pretty sure it starts afterwards because you aren’t technically “hired” until training is complete. And it’s one year probation period from date of start.

One year probation starting your first day behind the gate.
Two years before you can technically transfer out of jail.
CX

singhm
Rookie Member

Postby singhm » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm

What is a day like at training academy? What time you wake up, what do you get offered as food, what time does the class end and do you get time off in the evening like for gym etc?

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:47 pm

singhm wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm
What is a day like at training academy? What time you wake up, what do you get offered as food, what time does the class end and do you get time off in the evening like for gym etc?
Wake up whenever you want but 3 classes start in Kingston
Your times below are for when you sit down and eat. They also have similar times for lunch/dinner:
You all meet outside your dorm then march to the academy
Classes usually go till about 2 or 3, then you're given free time to do homework, study for exams, go to the gym, explore Kingston.
You get weekends and long weekends off. We trained, watched movies, studied for exams, we usually all did our homework and pre-work assignments for the coming week on Fridays.
Weekends you get fed breakfast/lunch/dinner, and while it is also scheduled, we just kinda gone whenever we felt like it.
Range days are different, you'll eat early and get on the bus to the ranges. You'll get lunch at the range then dinner back at Training Academy.

This is all for Kingston, not sure how it is in PEI.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

striker

Postby striker » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm

singhm wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm
If anyone on your CTP is struggling with something another recruit is good at..you best be helping them out on your own time because that is part of being a team.
We got stormed stayed for 2 days when I was on ctp and our ctp spent it practising all of our hard skills from 8 to 4..and that info made it's way back to the instructors. They gave us an atta boy for using our initiative.
Be wise with your down time..you can go to movies, pub crawl or shop after CTP is done..
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.

LouWeez
Rookie Member

Postby LouWeez » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:02 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:38 pm
greenpea19 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm
JACX wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:40 pm
Has anyone received an invitation for CTP 2/3 for Feb or Mar?
I'll be starting CTP 3 Feb 5th. I got in to Warkworth Institution.
Congrats!
We toured Warkworth in our core. It's really neatly laid out. We also saw the new SHU area. Just walking around with the inmates. It honestly looks like a small city.
Congrats!
I start ctp3 on 9th in PEI. I also got Warkworth...30 mins from my house :)

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:09 am

Anyone know where to buy pocket less sweat pants?

bcfella
Rookie Member

Postby bcfella » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 am

ygu31 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:20 am
Is there a SIU unit in PI at Abbotsford? Thanks in advanced for your reply.
The only SIU in pac region is at Kent.
CX 1