Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
singhm
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby singhm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 am

JACX wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:43 pm
singhm wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:29 pm
I have passed the direct entry CX2/Primary worker interview and reference check as of today.

Few questions:
1. Does the CX2/Primary worker direct entry skip the online component for CTP? I heard someone talking about it during the exam.
2. When do they send the screening questionnaire for ERC?
I’ve never heard of that? How does a person get direct entry? I thought everyone follows the same process.

What does the acronym ERC stand for? I’m not clear on which questionnaire you are referring to. We only submitted the one with our initial application.

By direct entry, I meant not applying to CX1. I applied directly to CX2/Primary worker position and passed the 3 tests. I did not mean that I skipped the testing stage.

Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance (should have been ERCS I guess). I thought you have to fill questions about your friends, driving habits etc as you do for police applications.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am

singhm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 am
JACX wrote:
singhm wrote:
I have passed the direct entry CX2/Primary worker interview and reference check as of today.

Few questions:
1. Does the CX2/Primary worker direct entry skip the online component for CTP? I heard someone talking about it during the exam.
I’ve never heard of that? How does a person get direct entry? I thought everyone follows the same process.

What does the acronym ERC stand for? I’m not clear on which questionnaire you are referring to. We only submitted the one with our initial application.

By direct entry, I meant not applying to CX1. I applied directly to CX2/Primary worker position and passed the 3 tests. I did not mean that I skipped the testing stage.

Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance (should have been ERCS I guess). I thought you have to fill questions about your friends, driving habits etc as you do for police applications.
Typically CX-1 is for Correctional Officer postings and CX-2 is primary worker in woman's institutions.

You will complete a security screening document after the in-person interview. This is when you disclose information about criminal record, previous drug use, gambling etc.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Mikevictor
Rookie Member

Postby Mikevictor » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm

singhm wrote:
JACX wrote:
singhm wrote:

Few questions:

It's not a 'direct entry'. They are two completely different jobs with different hiring processes/expectations as well as different components of training.

I think it was you that asked what the top reasons are for failing CTP training. Firearms for sure. Being stupidly out of shape and therefore not able to participate in training properly. Other than that, they are letting everyone in (unfortunately).

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm almost done the process. I have a phone interview scheduled for my security questionnaire. For me that is good news as I almost expected them to just toss it in the trash. I haven't heard back about my psyc but as I understand it, no news is good news in the process.

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Mikevictor wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm
singhm wrote:
JACX wrote:

It's not a 'direct entry'. They are two completely different jobs with different hiring processes/expectations as well as different components of training.

I think it was you that asked what the top reasons are for failing CTP training. Firearms for sure. Being stupidly out of shape and therefore not able to participate in training properly. Other than that, they are letting everyone in (unfortunately).
I was very surprised that there is not a simple fitness requirement like the pare. Seems like a huge waste of recourses to load people on course only for them to drop out due to poor pt.

If you're in BC, silvercore training offers a law enforcement firearm familiarization course designed for people about to go to their respective training areas. Other provinces probably have compatible courses. No license is required and it seems like it would be a good investment for those who have no formal training

Mikevictor
Rookie Member

Postby Mikevictor » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 pm
Mikevictor wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm
singhm wrote:

I was very surprised that there is not a simple fitness requirement like the pare. Seems like a huge waste of recourses to load people on course only for them to drop out due to poor pt.

If you're in BC, silvercore training offers a law enforcement firearm familiarization course designed for people about to go to their respective training areas. Other provinces probably have compatible courses. No license is required and it seems like it would be a good investment for those who have no formal training
ya, same with strengthening their grip. work on that. even men fatigue and mess up in that area.

there used to be a copat, until one person couldn't pass and put in a human rights complaint - and now we have no physical ability requirement. it isn't PT that they are failing at as that isn't even a requirement. I'm talking about standing up and getting down to the ground - basic stuff if you're going toe-to-toe with an inmate in a fight. yes, THAT bad

striker

Postby striker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:18 pm

Dk94 wrote:

do not take any type of firearms training prior to going on ctp. CSC has a specific course of fire, specific IA's and stoppages and the instructors don't have time to undo habits you learned from "training" you took before hand.
If you've never fired a rifle or handgun and want to get that out of the way before you go then go to a range and fire a few rounds down range and leave it at that.
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am

striker wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:18 pm
Dk94 wrote:

do not take any type of firearms training prior to going on ctp. CSC has a specific course of fire, specific IA's and stoppages and the instructors don't have time to undo habits you learned from "training" you took before hand.
If you've never fired a rifle or handgun and want to get that out of the way before you go then go to a range and fire a few rounds down range and leave it at that.

A good chunk of recruits in my core never fired a gun before. They had zero issues on the firing range.
Do not walk in there with the "I know" mentality.
My thing was I get into my own head during tests and I screw up. The firearms instruction is excellent. Save your money.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

harvey1725
Rookie Member

Postby harvey1725 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Does anyone know if CSC has followed pretty consistently how soon your start date is following CTP3, or is it differing depending on institution?

Also, during ctp do they ever grant time off (a couple of days tops) or are they very strict about everyone being there for 100% of the training time?

Thanks in advance!

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:26 pm

harvey1725 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 pm
Does anyone know if CSC has followed pretty consistently how soon your start date is following CTP3, or is it differing depending on institution?

Also, during ctp do they ever grant time off (a couple of days tops) or are they very strict about everyone being there for 100% of the training time?

Thanks in advance!
When you get your start date for your institution, you can request a couple of days possibly weeks extension. In my core, few people asked for extensions as they were making a big move to different provinces.

My original post was really long about the requirement for 100% presence. The short form of the post is... it's imperative to be there 100% of the time.. So it's not good if you need to leave for reasons. I would suggest advising recruitment as opposed to showing up and telling your instructors.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:00 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am
striker wrote:
Dk94 wrote:

A good chunk of recruits in my core never fired a gun before. They had zero issues on the firing range.
Do not walk in there with the "I know" mentality.
My thing was I get into my own head during tests and I screw up. The firearms instruction is excellent. Save your money.
Didn't you get booted off course for a firearms safety issue?

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm

striker wrote:
Dk94 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with going and getting training. Getting used to properly indexing that trigger finger, being proficient in muzzle control and direction. Getting that basic safety stuff down can serve people.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Dk94 please refrain from giving firearms advice to fellow recruits and applicants.
Leave that to us.
Because If actual firearms instructors give advice as to NOT DO THOSE THINGS. It might be a good indication to actually not do those things.

It’s almost like the Instructors on this board kind of know what they are talking about and what they are doing.

No need to be a dick. Do your boots have real time behind the walls? Didn’t think so. Knock it off.
CX

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:56 pm
Dk94 please refrain from giving firearms advice to fellow recruits and applicants.
Leave that to us.
Because If actual firearms instructors give advice as to NOT DO THOSE THINGS. It might be a good indication to actually not do those things.

It’s almost like the Instructors on this board kind of know what they are talking about and what they are doing.

No need to be a dick. Do your boots have real time behind the walls? Didn’t think so. Knock it off.
Not behind the walls no but I was infantry in the cf. Encouraging people to seek training is not giving firearms advice. The one guy here got booted for a firearms issues. Friends of mine who have instructed on courses say one of the biggest reasons people get offloaded from course is firearms safety issues. Getting training from accredited uof instructors shouldn't be an issue for candidates. I'm not talking about going to range with a buddy or blasting an SKS in the woods. It's just the same as some one who has poor pt should be encouraged to train ahead of time and get in shape.

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:30 pm

I even remember the managers running the sjt were encouraging applicants to seeks training ahead of loading on course. More knowledge isn't a bad thing in any way as long as you can shut up and do how they want it done.