Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
fatboy
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby fatboy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I'll qualify that I'm sure this varies significantly from institution to institution, and I don't want to dissuade anyone from applying.

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:18 pm

I count on myself and my teammates more than any manager. All I can do is hope.that if the day comes that I need their support that I will have been a strong enough officer to have earned it. Nothing expected, only earned...just like trust.
CX-1

Herb Powell

Postby Herb Powell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:03 am

You can earn all the support and respect from your co workers and managers. None of that comes in to play when you're disciplined by upper management.

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am

Is anyone else having issues logging into CTP2 training today? The site just won't load for me...constantly spinning circle on a pretty much brand new computer.
CX-1

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Chillykb19 wrote:Is anyone else having issues logging into CTP2 training today? The site just won't load for me...constantly spinning circle on a pretty much brand new computer.

Yes, I was freaking out because I cannot login from any of my devices. I am glad it’s not just me. Also is anyone having trouble opening 18. In CTP Stage 2 assignments?
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
03 '18 - CTP1, medical, fp, ht - Competed
06 '18 - Conditional Letter of Offer, accepted
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:00 am

I am not able to get onto the training portal again today. There is a message that keeps appearing at the beginning of the website bar saying this website is not secure. Is this an issue for anyone else?
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:00 pm

It's 1800 here in Calgary and I'm able to logon fine. I was on there earlier as well. Maybe go through your PC settings and lower them for the site. I was a bit concerned yesterday but figured it was a site maintenance issue when none of my devices could login. I already lost a couple of assignments with my laptop crapping out on me so new computer, new USB stick and a lot more saving after even 20 minutes of typing. CTP is going well for me but I would imagine the classroom aspect is crazy-different.
CX-1

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 am

Anyone else here flying out on Monday morning (August 13th) YYC-YYZ?
CX-1

Kazzif
Rookie Member

First day paperwork requirements

Postby Kazzif » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:55 am

Morning,

I remember seeing a list of some of the things we are required to bring on the first day. It included originals and copies or immunization records, CPR/AED, etc. I for the life of me can't find this anywhere in my emails.

Anyone have that list and can forward it to me?
Please and thanks!

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 am

Is the Phoenix pay system really as interesting a story as it seems to be? In my recent use of the google machine to look up as much as possible I keep coming across what appear to be nightmare stories about the pay system. Any chance a few active COs could give some first-hand perspectives?
CX-1

Herb Powell

Postby Herb Powell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

Chillykb19 wrote:Is the Phoenix pay system really as interesting a story as it seems to be? In my recent use of the google machine to look up as much as possible I keep coming across what appear to be nightmare stories about the pay system. Any chance a few active COs could give some first-hand perspectives?

It's a disaster. My pay was screwed up for over a year before I contacted my MP and he helped me get it fixed.

My wife is currently on maternity leave and she hasn't received any of her top up pay for 4 months.

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Chillykb19 wrote:Is the Phoenix pay system really as interesting a story as it seems to be? In my recent use of the google machine to look up as much as possible I keep coming across what appear to be nightmare stories about the pay system. Any chance a few active COs could give some first-hand perspectives?

They owe my wife and I $15,000 at least. She got shorted on maternity leave and we both got shorted on retro from our recent collective agreement. Some people get screwed all the time just with regular pay. It's a roll of the dice really but people are afraid to change positions because they quite often get super screwed. Same with transfers. Some people are getting paid with no issues then all of a sudden it just cuts off.

Same with new hires. Could totally happen but you might have zero issues. Again, it's a roll of the dice.

It will get sorted at some point so just be prepared for it and know you're getting the job, the pension, and the benefits. You can do emergency pay as well so you will get something, but I'm not sure how that will work out in the end. We chose not to do that because we can absorb the financial loss until it gets sorted out.
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Anyone arriving in Kingston, Monday at 13:56 with AC? Maybe we can share a cab? Please PM me.
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:37 am

Anyone else going to Kingston tomorrow?
05 '17 - Applied to CSC