Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
noanykey
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby noanykey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Hey Striker,

I've read your posts about PTSD and your unfortunate post of 2 CO's committing suicide in a week. I'm curious to know if the help.. helps. Does CSC give time off while CO's are seeking help or is it on the job counselling?
I'm definitely trying to tread lightly here as it's a touchy subject but having never been to prison or jail and being an outsider looking in (also an applicant), what can someone who isn't prepared face on their day-to-day?
I've spent many years unarmed and even lack of body armor in some of Vancouver's roughest clubs, working security. Many brawls, too many OD's, etc.. I want to be a CX-1 really badly, but CSC doesn't share the stories that I could potentially encounter. Whatever happens within those walls, stay within the walls and all media has to say are not specifics. Can you shed some light on what new CO's could potentially face on the job?
All I get from CSC so far is good pay, excellent pension, transport officers. I'm more interested in the things the site isn't telling me..

Again, touchy subject and I really don't want to look like an ass, I have a huge respect for you and the other CSC officers here, but I am super interested in the position, however cautious.. Feel free to PM if you're able to share but want to do it private.

Thanks!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

oceanblue11
Rookie Member

Postby oceanblue11 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:05 am

I applied to CSC back in April under the Aboriginal Persons Inventory posting and just received an email yesterday for my written exams invitation! I have one question though, am I supposed to reply to the email and confirm that I will be attending the exams? It doesn't say "do not reply" anywhere in the email but it also doesn't mention replying to confirm or anything. I'm assuming that you only reply if you need accommodations, but just replying to say thank you is probably unnecessary?

mcam2016
Rookie Member

Postby mcam2016 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 am

oceanblue11 wrote:I applied to CSC back in April under the Aboriginal Persons Inventory posting and just received an email yesterday for my written exams invitation! I have one question though, am I supposed to reply to the email and confirm that I will be attending the exams? It doesn't say "do not reply" anywhere in the email but it also doesn't mention replying to confirm or anything. I'm assuming that you only reply if you need accommodations, but just replying to say thank you is probably unnecessary?

I would respond saying that you'll be attending the exams.

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am

Just over a month ago I received an offer for the Saskatoon institution. I had to turn it down for family reasons. I explained myself via email to recruiting. All I could do was hope for another offer at an institution that I could work at (Bowden or Drumheller). Today I received that offer. CTP 3 starts in Kingston on August 15th. I am looking forward to the experience and lessons I will learn. I have read every single post on this 780+page thread. The advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
CX-1

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Today I accepted the email of interest for Stony Mountain. I am so excited about this opportunity and am looking forward to meeting all of my classmates, August 22, in Kingston, ON.
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
03 '18 - CTP1, medical, fp, ht - Competed
06 '18 - Conditional Letter of Offer, accepted
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Congrats to those who received offers. Little tip when it comes to logistics regarding ordering uniforms.

Order your pants longer. Men only get two choices 71 inch or 80 inch. I am approx around 71 but ordered the 80 and they fit great. You can always get them fixed.

When it comes to shirt size. I ordered a smaller neck size and mine fit perfect. I am a 16.5 neck but went with a 16. Not sure if this will apply to everyone though. Just double check the measurements after you input your info. Their system sometimes rounds up or down depending on your actual measurements.

The system can be a pain, Over half our ctp needed to return theirs so be patient!

-c

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 am

I need advice and hope that some experts can guide me in the right direction.

I accepted an email of interest last week and I am so excited and ready to start planning for August 22nd training in Kingston, but I don't want to jump the gun and move too fast.

Should I be waiting for further confirmation that I am going, before submitting my resignation? My boss already knows that this is my plan and I have let her know that I have accepted this email of interest, but I do not want to give formal resignation until I am sure I am going. Does a confirmation email get sent or was that email the trigger to start planning.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide in this regard, thank you.
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am

RM75 wrote:I need advice and hope that some experts can guide me in the right direction.

I accepted an email of interest last week and I am so excited and ready to start planning for August 22nd training in Kingston, but I don't want to jump the gun and move too fast.

Should I be waiting for further confirmation that I am going, before submitting my resignation? My boss already knows that this is my plan and I have let her know that I have accepted this email of interest, but I do not want to give formal resignation until I am sure I am going. Does a confirmation email get sent or was that email the trigger to start planning.

I'd personally wait for the resignation until the last possible second, like maybe 2 weeks notice kind of thing. Your boss already knows what's going on so it's not even being unreasonable. Plus if you get in a car accident or fall down the stairs or something in the meantime you might not be able to go to training so you'd be left with neither option.

But I don't know if you'll receive any further email.... did they send you an address and a date and time to report for training? If not then I'd say nothing is a done deal 100%.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:09 pm

RM75 wrote:I need advice and hope that some experts can guide me in the right direction.

I personally waited for the conditional letter of offer to sign. Mine came approx 1 month after I confirmed my interest. Once I signed that letter and sent it back, I resigned. Just like you, my employer knew ahead of time so it gave then time to plan. Peoples timelines for receiving that letter vary. Some get to give a two week notice and some don't, depends on the timing. Good luck

-C

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 am

I received my letter of interest on the 21st of June and my offer came today. I signed it and sent it back right away. Just like you, my employer has known about this since my job interview. I've been advised though to wait until the last respectable second to submit my resignation. It's not uncommon for employers to replace someone or walk them off the property in my experience if they find out that you are going to work elsewhere. Personally I am hoping for a courtesy layoff but am fairly sure that doesn't happen.
I enjoy my job and my employer is great but to take care of number 1 (and 1A and 1B...my kids) without leaving much to chance I am following the advice I was given and am waiting until July 25th to turn in my notice for an August 10th last day of work. My CTP3 starts on August 15th and I am hoping to coordinate with CSC to be out there for August 13th or 14th.
That's a question I have for anyone with the answer...the letter says one outbound and one return trip will be paid for by CSC and those need to be within 14 days of training. Does that give a little bit of flexibility in arrival and departure? If I go a day or 2 early are there accommodations for me in Kingston or do I get a hotel for a couple of nights? I know absolutely nobody there.
CX-1

RM75
Rookie Member

Postby RM75 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:36 am

Chillykb19 wrote:

I received my letter of interest on the 21st of June and my offer came today. I signed it and sent it back right away. Just like you, my employer has known about this since my job interview. I've been advised though to wait until the last respectable second to submit my resignation. It's not uncommon for employers to replace someone or walk them off the property in my experience if they find out that you are going to work elsewhere. Personally I am hoping for a courtesy layoff but am fairly sure that doesn't happen.
I enjoy my job and my employer is great but to take care of number 1 (and 1A and 1B...my kids) without leaving much to chance I am following the advice I was given and am waiting until July 25th to turn in my notice for an August 10th last day of work. My CTP3 starts on August 15th and I am hoping to coordinate with CSC to be out there for August 13th or 14th.
That's a question I have for anyone with the answer...the letter says one outbound and one return trip will be paid for by CSC and those need to be within 14 days of training. Does that give a little bit of flexibility in arrival and departure? If I go a day or 2 early are there accommodations for me in Kingston or do I get a hotel for a couple of nights? I know absolutely nobody there.

I received and accepted my Conditional Letter of Offer yesterday, which I immediately signed and returned. I will take the advice and not give my official notice as long as I can. I also have to look out for myself, but am torn because I have looked out for her best interest for so long that I want to help her get the position posted and filled so she isn't left hanging, we really are a team. But I do recognize the risk and need to look out for me and my family as well so like I said and others have suggested, I will wait as long as possible.

Thank you,
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:20 pm

I'd wait as long as you can before officially quitting. Like BZ said you could get hurt, have an unexpected emergency, etc. or CSC could bump or even cancel CTP (remember federal government so anything is possible)...and if any of that happens you're pretty screwed. If you're employer already knows that you're in your way out and you're on good terms about it than I'd just continue to keep them in the loop
CX-1 @ Millhaven