Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Floydie
Seasoned Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 am

Azhure wrote:So heres a question;

For the Hepatitis A&B shots or Twinrix does the government provide that for you during training or will you have to get that done on your own time? I don't feel like spending the ~$200 unless I have to. Nothing has made mention to this in the training package

Regards,

It's provided for free. even if it wasn't though not getting it would be a bad idea...remember this is an environment where things like Hep, HIV, etc. run rampant throughout the institutions...and a place where you WILL be exposed to blood, piss, shit, etc. etc. take every precaution to protect yourself even if it was going to cost you something out of pocket
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Any tips for this first test? Lots of material to go over from the assignments

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Critical08 wrote:Any tips for this first test? Lots of material to go over from the assignments

No one can give any specifics for any of the tests in CTP 3 but honestly just study and know the sections you were told to complete and you'll be fine - if something seems important then chances are you'll be tested on it. I suggest sitting down with your classmates and studying together before your first day...go over the material together and compare answers especially if you're having trouble answering any of them :thumbsup:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 am

Striker wrote:We lost 2 Correctional Officers to suicide in the last week.
All you folks that are applying or have been accepted need to do some soul searching and ask yourself if you are prepared to accept the possibility you may suffer a mental health injury due to your career choice.

CSC has become more pro-active in the recognition of, acceptance of and offering help to it's employee's diagnosed with mental health injuries.
However there is still a huge stigma attached to ptsd and other mental health injuries that prevent people from asking for help.
This attitude is extremely prevalent in the Correctional Officer field due to the old guard mentality of sucking it up and not admitting you need help.

It is okay to admit to yourself you need help and to ask for it.
it means you are a fighter and there is no shame in that.

RIP brothers.

I have had it told to me by a few CX as being on alert every second of every shift. This requires preparation and it can become difficult and sometimes impossible to turn this state of awareness "off". The toll that takes on the human psyche is something I have carefully considered. On paper I'm ready but paper burns quickly. All I know is that I'm going into this with eyes wide open. I'm ready to learn...not just rules, regulations and procedures but also coping mechanisms, techniques and procedures for appropriate winding up and winding down. It's the human factor, that can't be covered in a book, that will be as important to my career as the lessons learned in Kingston.
My sincere thoughts and prayers to those officers and all others facing the same challenges.
CX-1

Nb4321
Rookie Member

Postby Nb4321 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 pm

General question about test that has to be done when you arrive.
Is it done open or closed book style? I am working on the Stage 2 assignments and studying but quickly realizing there is a lot of material!
Any tips to prepare are welcome :)

PrairiesCO
Rookie Member

Postby PrairiesCO » Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 am

Nb4321 wrote:General question about test that has to be done when you arrive.
Is it done open or closed book style? I am working on the Stage 2 assignments and studying but quickly realizing there is a lot of material!

Closed book.

It is also strikeable, if you study hard all the material the test is based on you won’t have any issues. The only people that typically fail (just like any test) are the people that underestimate tests and don’t prepare.

You are much better over studying than understudying. I know it’s a vague answer, but that’s all that can really be said.

I went through flash cards like water, they worked great for me, rather than just reading something over and over on paper.

canada1867
Rookie Member

Postby canada1867 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by canada1867 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azhure
Rookie Member

Postby Azhure » Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 am

haha right? I just got my stage 2 on the 7th. Just under 3 weeks to complete all that material while maintaining a full time job has me a little nervous. Let's just hope all of my studying pays off. Most of the material is pretty straight forward just have to remember all of the terms.

candicefromontario84
Rookie Member

Postby candicefromontario84 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:25 am

Azhure wrote:

haha right? I just got my stage 2 on the 7th. Just under 3 weeks to complete all that material while maintaining a full time job has me a little nervous. Let's just hope all of my studying pays off. Most of the material is pretty straight forward just have to remember all of the terms.

I'm nervous also, but really excited! I just finished college was working full time for a while, (worked at mt new workplace for 2 weeks, and then had to put in a 2 week notice after receiving notice that I'd be going to Kingston lol) So my last shift is this Friday, and I'm hoping all my studying will pay off also. I want this more than anything! I was a little psyched out at first at the thought of quitting my job and possibly failing CTP, but I'm focusing on doing well, and being positive. And now I'm damn ready!
Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait to meet you all on the 30th. I'm driving down from Guelph. See you there!!

:D
CX-1

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 am

candicefromontario84 wrote:
Azhure wrote:

I'm nervous also, but really excited! I just finished college was working full time for a while, (worked at mt new workplace for 2 weeks, and then had to put in a 2 week notice after receiving notice that I'd be going to Kingston lol) So my last shift is this Friday, and I'm hoping all my studying will pay off also. I want this more than anything! I was a little psyched out at first at the thought of quitting my job and possibly failing CTP, but I'm focusing on doing well, and being positive. And now I'm damn ready!
Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait to meet you all on the 30th. I'm driving down from Guelph. See you there!!

:D

Don't think like that. Hammer down and focus on the training. Read your notes at night but also make sure to spend time as a group CTP! Make sure you work as a team! Don't get into trouble everyone is watching you, especially off the property. Eyes everywhere.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:23 pm

FedCO wrote:Don't think like that. Hammer down and focus on the training. Read your notes at night but also make sure to spend time as a group CTP! Make sure you work as a team! Don't get into trouble everyone is watching you, especially off the property. Eyes everywhere.

can see that far from 1 Tower, eh? :mrgreen:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 am

I know some classes started on the 30th of Ma. ..but is there any idea when the next set may start? I had to decline my invitation to train with the group on the 30th for unavoidable family reasons but was told I'm back in the eligible pool after explaining to recruiting.
I am eagerly looking forward to the invitation from Bowden or Drumheller (last one was for Saskatoon ). Any idea when the next set of class start?
CX-1