Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
BubbaFett
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BubbaFett » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm

From what I read, we have to email them all assignments (specific date), and upload them onto a USB drive that we bring for a just in case.[/quote]


Okay, gotcha. I haven't received any instructions yet from CSC in regards to a USB or even a date to start yet. The letter just says CTP 2 takes place in the month of May.[/quote]


I never received anything that says to e-mail them by a certain date. Stage 2 used to come as a big binder that was snail mailed to you. This latest version that you get off the portal is a newer process.
Applied:Apr16
Interview:Nov16
CTP 1 and Medical:March17 and Mar18
References:Mar17
Fingerprints:Mar17 and Apr18
Psych:Mar17
CTP 2: May18
CTP 3: Kingston 30 May 18

User avatar
Chillykb19
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Airdrie
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Chillykb19 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:48 pm

Okay...I received a letter of interest for Saskatoon Psychiatric Institution today at noon. It said I needed to reply by today. I can't do Saskatoon. Beyond the fact that I think it is not the place I want to raise my children; I was under the impression that the 2 selections I made for location preference (Bowden and Drumheller ) were the places I would be solicited foe. I'm still as excited as a pig in a pen, don't get me wrong. I just hope that by declining SK that I don't remove myself from consideration for my 2 actual choices.
I was very clear in my response that I want only Bowden or Drumheller. I want to remain in consideration for those 2 locations. I did not get a response to the email I sent back though. Thoughts?
CX-1

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Chillykb19 wrote:Okay...I received a letter of interest for Saskatoon Psychiatric Institution today at noon. It said I needed to reply by today. I can't do Saskatoon. Beyond the fact that I think it is not the place I want to raise my children; I was under the impression that the 2 selections I made for location preference (Bowden and Drumheller ) were the places I would be solicited foe. I'm still as excited as a pig in a pen, don't get me wrong. I just hope that by declining SK that I don't remove myself from consideration for my 2 actual choices.
I was very clear in my response that I want only Bowden or Drumheller. I want to remain in consideration for those 2 locations. I did not get a response to the email I sent back though. Thoughts?


Drumheller and Bowden are prison towns. Nothing much else there. Minimum inmates in town working at every fast food or pub. Depending what your spouse does or want to do those towns don’t have too much to offer. While Saskatoon has more outside job positions and opportunities.
Where Saskatoon you can live in the city. Not run into inmates at the grocery store or other officers. And not have the pizza delivery guy be an inmate at the jail you work at.

There are pros and cons to all places to live. Small towns. Big cities. Commuting long distances. Sure taxes are better in AB than they are in SK. But your car insurance will be much better. And your phone bill compared to AB.

But in the end Drumheller and Bowden are always short... will always be hiring. Just might have to wait longer...
CX

User avatar
Chillykb19
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Airdrie
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Chillykb19 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 am

Melanie1 wrote:
Chillykb19 wrote:Okay...I received a letter of interest for Saskatoon Psychiatric Institution today at noon. It said I needed to reply by today. I can't do Saskatoon. Beyond the fact that I think it is not the place I want to raise my children; I was under the impression that the 2 selections I made for location preference (Bowden and Drumheller ) were the places I would be solicited foe. I'm still as excited as a pig in a pen, don't get me wrong. I just hope that by declining SK that I don't remove myself from consideration for my 2 actual choices.
I was very clear in my response that I want only Bowden or Drumheller. I want to remain in consideration for those 2 locations. I did not get a response to the email I sent back though. Thoughts?


Drumheller and Bowden are prison towns. Nothing much else there. Minimum inmates in town working at every fast food or pub. Depending what your spouse does or want to do those towns don’t have too much to offer. While Saskatoon has more outside job positions and opportunities.
Where Saskatoon you can live in the city. Not run into inmates at the grocery store or other officers. And not have the pizza delivery guy be an inmate at the jail you work at.

There are pros and cons to all places to live. Small towns. Big cities. Commuting long distances. Sure taxes are better in AB than they are in SK. But your car insurance will be much better. And your phone bill compared to AB.

But in the end Drumheller and Bowden are always short... will always be hiring. Just might have to wait longer...



I'm a single dad in Airdrie. Kids are capable of moving but their mother is here and I don't want to make it hard for them to visit each other.
Getting the letter is an amazing feeling though. It means that the qualifications have been met for training. I was confident throughout the process but you never know how the competition is until you are in the race yourself.
I wrote my test last October so the window is closing on that but re-writing it would be more than fine. I really do hope to have another offer before the end of summer. I've been working towards this career for a few years now.
I spoke with a Drum employee yesterday and he/she said the same thing regarding always hiring.The commute to Drum is an hour from here and Bowden is 45 minutes. Either is fine with me. In my previous long term occupation we had employees flying in from 1000s of miles away to start their shift. An hour drive...meh. That's some adult time for me. I look forward to that too.
CX-1

User avatar
RCMP37
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:02 am
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby RCMP37 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 am

candicefromontario84 wrote:Got a solicit of interest letter today for Grande Cache Institution in Alberta, CTP 3 on May 30th-August 29th KIngston!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Wow you flew through the process Candice, I applied in January of this year and the only response I have received so far is to make my province selections and rank them, this is going insanely slow, looks like I will just work for Ontario Corrections then.

User avatar
BubbaFett
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BubbaFett » Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Does anyone know what the accommodations are in Kingston? Private rooms or open dorm setting? I thought I had read a way earlier post that mentioned a lot of the training academy in Kingston had been disassembled.
Applied:Apr16
Interview:Nov16
CTP 1 and Medical:March17 and Mar18
References:Mar17
Fingerprints:Mar17 and Apr18
Psych:Mar17
CTP 2: May18
CTP 3: Kingston 30 May 18

candicefromontario84
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby candicefromontario84 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:31 pm

RCMP37 wrote:
candicefromontario84 wrote:Got a solicit of interest letter today for Grande Cache Institution in Alberta, CTP 3 on May 30th-August 29th KIngston!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Wow you flew through the process Candice, I applied in January of this year and the only response I have received so far is to make my province selections and rank them, this is going insanely slow, looks like I will just work for Ontario Corrections then.


Don’t get discouraged by the amount of time it takes. I’ve been applying since 2013, and finally just made the cut. I worked really hard to get to this point. You’re where I was exactly 2 months after I applied. Only towards the end did it pick up, and then froze again for another 2 months. You’ll get there. All it takes is a little confidence and patience. It is worth the wait.
CX-1

User avatar
Floydie
Seasoned Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 pm

BubbaFett wrote:Does anyone know what the accommodations are in Kingston? Private rooms or open dorm setting? I thought I had read a way earlier post that mentioned a lot of the training academy in Kingston had been disassembled.


It was quite a while ago. from what I've heard around my joint is that they're apparently retro fitting it now but who knows if that will include accomodations...wouldn't be surprised if you guys are put up in a hotel but don't quote me on that I'm just assuming. once you guys get there let us know cause quite a few of us are curious as to what's going on haha. not even sure who your instructors will be...might end up being our block trainers??
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Nb4321
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Nb4321 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm

E-mail received today soliciting my interest in Atlantic Institution in New Brunswick!!! My 1st choice. Training May 30th!

RM75
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm
Location: Prairies
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby RM75 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:43 pm

I see people are still receiving emails of interest, is there a cut off date for receiving these, when the CTP3 starts May 30?
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
03 '18 - CTP1, medical, fp, ht - Competed
06 '18 - Conditional Letter of Offer, accepted
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

User avatar
BubbaFett
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BubbaFett » Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 pm

I never received anything that says to e-mail them by a certain date. Stage 2 used to come as a big binder that was snail mailed to you. This latest version that you get off the portal is a newer process.[/quote]


I just wanted to update something I posted earlier. E-Mail came today stating we ARE to e-mail the CTP 2 Assignments back to them by 27 May 18. Looks like they updated the Law and Policy Assignment. I will have to redo that one (d'oh). Looking forward to meeting y'all on the 30th.
Applied:Apr16
Interview:Nov16
CTP 1 and Medical:March17 and Mar18
References:Mar17
Fingerprints:Mar17 and Apr18
Psych:Mar17
CTP 2: May18
CTP 3: Kingston 30 May 18

User avatar
Floydie
Seasoned Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 pm

BubbaFett wrote:I just wanted to update something I posted earlier. E-Mail came today stating we ARE to e-mail the CTP 2 Assignments back to them by 27 May 18. Looks like they updated the Law and Policy Assignment. I will have to redo that one (d'oh). Looking forward to meeting y'all on the 30th.


Make sure that you're citing all of your answers...ie. specific sections of the CCRA, Criminal Code, etc. where you're getting the answers from :thumbsup:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

User avatar
Floydie
Seasoned Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 pm

RM75 wrote:I see people are still receiving emails of interest, is there a cut off date for receiving these, when the CTP3 starts May 30?


Probably be cut off pretty soon for the end of May CTP...when I was going through the process they were giving roughly 3-4 weeks between the initial offer/getting the Stage 2 binder and starting Stage 3
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Nb4321
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Nb4321 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 am

Letter for Atlantic Institution signed! See everyone on the 30th!

Nb4321
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Nb4321 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Aside from the obvious .. is there anything specific that is recommended for Stage 3 to pack/wish you would have packed?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: baby_james, chand, Google [Bot] and 5 guests