Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
RM75
Rookie Member

Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby RM75 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Has anyone been receiving interest from Stony Mountain Institution?
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
03 '18 - CTP1, medical, fp, ht - Competed
06 '18 - Conditional Letter of Offer, accepted
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

RM75
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby RM75 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Floydie wrote:
RM75 wrote:It's been awfully quiet. Can someone tell me if the letters of interest come by email or regular mail? I recently found out some important communication was going to an incorrect email, so I want to ensure I am not missing something.

Should be an email and I believe they give you 48 hours to respond

Since the debacle of March 22, 2018, when we realized there was an email error, I am so nervous that the offer will go to the wrong email address. I am hoping it was all corrected in the system, as I have received all other emails except for that specific request for information. I guess I just I need to let it go, and trust that the offer will come when it's time.
05 '17 - Applied to CSC
03 '18 - CTP1, medical, fp, ht - Competed
06 '18 - Conditional Letter of Offer, accepted
07 ‘18 - CTP2
08 ‘18 - CTP3

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Floydie wrote:for those who've been given confirmation for CTP in Kingston what dates have you guys been given?

May 16-aug 16 for me

I know some received may 9 as a start date as well

-C

canada1867
Rookie Member

Postby canada1867 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm

may 9th here

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 am

:thumbsup:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Awfully quiet in here. Any word when the next classes after the three they have called for are going to happen...or is it always by demand of the institutions? Demand makes sense to me but just curious.
CX-1

Murphy1998
Rookie Member

Postby Murphy1998 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm

I’m curious to know to which institutions most people are going to now

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Murphy1998 wrote:I’m curious to know to which institutions most people are going to now

Everywhere west of Ontario. Lol
CX II

Nb4321
Rookie Member

Postby Nb4321 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 am

Any new offers for CTP 2/3 this week? Nothing here!

jo_thom902
Rookie Member

Postby jo_thom902 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am

Got a call this week. Heading to Kingston May 9th

mcritchie89
Rookie Member

Postby mcritchie89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Hey Everybody,
Ive currently got an application in and have a few questions. Will do my best to not sound like an idiot but hey, it's a learning curve.

I originally applied to CBSA, and corrections. CBSA is what I'd really love to do, but my second application seems to be at a stand still for whatever reason. I applied the first time and failed the English entry exam.

I applied for the cx1 job on March 30. Got an email back saying fill out your preference for placement and emailed that back to them on the 11. My current status says I'm included in inventory so I know it's hurry up and wait.

I'm based in Calgary so I'm hoping to get either Drumheller, Bowden, or maybe Edmonton max. I ultimately want to be within driving distance to make coming home on my days off worth it. My wife and newborn kid will be staying in Calgary.

My questions are this.

1) What are the shift rotations like, and is there a process on getting on a preferred rotation?

2) If I get on with corrections, and later on want to make the career jump to border services does coming from corrections give me any sort of benefit to transferring?

3) The main reason I'd rather work for CBSA is to work with a k9. What are the opportunities like to work with a k9 within the CSC?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying.

Cheer,
McRitchie

PrairiesCO
Rookie Member

Postby PrairiesCO » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm

mcritchie89 wrote:Hey Everybody,
Ive currently got an application in and have a few questions. Will do my best to not sound like an idiot but hey, it's a learning curve.

I originally applied to CBSA, and corrections. CBSA is what I'd really love to do, but my second application seems to be at a stand still for whatever reason. I applied the first time and failed the English entry exam.

I applied for the cx1 job on March 30. Got an email back saying fill out your preference for placement and emailed that back to them on the 11. My current status says I'm included in inventory so I know it's hurry up and wait.

I'm based in Calgary so I'm hoping to get either Drumheller, Bowden, or maybe Edmonton max. I ultimately want to be within driving distance to make coming home on my days off worth it. My wife and newborn kid will be staying in Calgary.

My questions are this.

1) What are the shift rotations like, and is there a process on getting on a preferred rotation?

2) If I get on with corrections, and later on want to make the career jump to border services does coming from corrections give me any sort of benefit to transferring?

3) The main reason I'd rather work for CBSA is to work with a k9. What are the opportunities like to work with a k9 within the CSC?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying.

Cheer,
McRitchie

1) Every institution has slightly different scheduling rotations. Most institutions have a 9/16/9 schedule and a 12s schedule. 9/16/9 is a 9 hour day shift 7am-4pm, followed by a 16 hour shift 7am-11pm followed by a 2-11pm shift then 3 days off, then repeat. The 12s are slightly different everywhere, at my institution we do 6 weeks of 12.75 hour day shifts, 3 on 3 off, 6 weeks off 12.75 midnight shifts followed by 6 weeks of 9 hour shifts mixed between evenings and day shifts (7am-4pm and 2pm-11pm) 3 days off, these short shifts are incredible, as when you book 26 hours you get 9 days off in a row, I usually book off a month at a time several times a year. There are also Monday-Friday schedules if that’s what you like, and 7 days on 3 days off 7 days on 4 days off schedule if you like that.

When you start you get put on a random schedule where you are needed, but it’s typically not hard to find a schedule you like and move to it, as people are always moving around.

2) Starting with CSC would be no real benefit if you were interested in going over to CBSA. We have slightly different pensions (CSC is better) but I believe you could transfer the years of service over. The experience with CSC might help with getting on with CBSA. Although you would need to do the full application process with CBSA as everyone else would, so it’s not like you could just “transfer over”.

3) Based off my institution, getting on being a Dog handler is fairly tough with CSC if you are wanting to be at a specific institution, for example if you pass a competition you might need to transfer to a different institution that is hiring them. I know a few different officers that tried, but only had invited at at other institutions across the prairies. I can’t speak for CBSA dog handlers though or how tough it is. CSC it’s normal to have to try 3-4 times to finally get in being a dog handler.

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm

I received a request for a phone interview for the security aspect of things. Is this just a normal part of the process, some clarification? Anyone else who has been through the process...where might this show my position in the process? Any tips as to what to expect would be greatly appreciated. PM if necessary. Thanks in advance and thanks again to everyone posting their experiences on here.
CX-1

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Conditional letter of offer received and signed. See you guys on may 16th!

Chillykb19
Rookie Member

Postby Chillykb19 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Critical08 wrote:Conditional letter of offer received and signed. See you guys on may 16th!

Right on!! Best of luck!!!
CX-1