Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
pontcanna wrote:
snow319 wrote:I live 3 mins From the Kingston staff college which is still running Ctp, but I'm going to BC for mine with the cost of flights, hotel, meal! Makes no sence

Since when are they doing CTP in BC? Haven't heard of it at all.


How long you been in the service?
They have been running CTP for a long, long time.
They stopped and now running again.


the last time they ran it in bc was dec 2012 or jan 2013. nothing until this time.
Gaoler

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Gaoler wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:
pontcanna wrote:Since when are they doing CTP in BC? Haven't heard of it at all.


How long you been in the service?
They have been running CTP for a long, long time.
They stopped and now running again.


the last time they ran it in bc was dec 2012 or jan 2013. nothing until this time.


That was what I was thinking. Early 2013 if that.
Did they just pull the instructors from their joints for it I wonder.
Last time I talked to my old instructor she had gone back to her joint. I know they were offered depot but I don't think any of them took the offer.
I was one of the first ctp for that group of instructors that were there when they got the new crew.
CX

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:05 pm

scubachickie wrote:I have to say, all the people that whine about being away from family or having to go far away for training should probably re-think their career choices. They have applied to a NATIONAL law enforcement agency and that means they may be sent anywhere in Canada. Maybe it isn't clear enough on the shoulder flash but the word "Canada" is there, if someone is upset that they have to leave BC or Ontario or Quebec maybe they should have looked into a provincial or municipal agency.
Training away from home is probably the best thing that you can do. It allows you to focus on the training and bond with your class a lot better than if you were dealing with "home stuff" the entire time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I'm getting really tired of hearing people complain that they have to leave home. There are people waiting for a spot that will go anywhere, if that's not you, move aside and make room for people who want the job. :banghead:


Just to clarify for you and I can only speak for me on the fourm, I have been posted 8 times from coast to coast ( which is fine that's what I signed onto)so don't confuse complaining with the fact that I myself would rather do training down the street then 4 provinces away! Just because I would rather spend each night with my 8 month old doesn't mean we don't a job! As for Canada on your shoulder trust me I know I've been shot and received serious injuries all with the word canada on my chest, but still not complaining...,.. So you shouldn't judge, everyone's stories are different and by no means am I looking for sympathy just expressing a common sense approach!!!!

Wolfeyez
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Wolfeyez » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 pm

snow319 wrote:
scubachickie wrote:I have to say, all the people that whine about being away from family or having to go far away for training should probably re-think their career choices. They have applied to a NATIONAL law enforcement agency and that means they may be sent anywhere in Canada. Maybe it isn't clear enough on the shoulder flash but the word "Canada" is there, if someone is upset that they have to leave BC or Ontario or Quebec maybe they should have looked into a provincial or municipal agency.
Training away from home is probably the best thing that you can do. It allows you to focus on the training and bond with your class a lot better than if you were dealing with "home stuff" the entire time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I'm getting really tired of hearing people complain that they have to leave home. There are people waiting for a spot that will go anywhere, if that's not you, move aside and make room for people who want the job. :banghead:


Just to clarify for you and I can only speak for me on the fourm, I have been posted 8 times from coast to coast ( which is fine that's what I signed onto)so don't confuse complaining with the fact that I myself would rather do training down the street then 4 provinces away! Just because I would rather spend each night with my 8 month old doesn't mean we don't a job! As for Canada on your shoulder trust me I know I've been shot and received serious injuries all with the word canada on my chest, but still not complaining...,.. So you shouldn't judge, everyone's stories are different and by no means am I looking for sympathy just expressing a common sense approach!!!!



.
Last edited by Wolfeyez on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scubachickie
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 am
Location: B.C.
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby scubachickie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Just to clarify for you and I can only speak for me on the fourm, I have been posted 8 times from coast to coast ( which is fine that's what I signed onto)so don't confuse complaining with the fact that I myself would rather do training down the street then 4 provinces away! Just because I would rather spend each night with my 8 month old doesn't mean we don't a job! As for Canada on your shoulder trust me I know I've been shot and received serious injuries all with the word canada on my chest, but still not complaining...,.. So you shouldn't judge, everyone's stories are different and by no means am I looking for sympathy just expressing a common sense approach!!!![/quote]

This was NOT directed at anyone specifically and especially not at someone who I know has served the country. I apologise if it sounded like I was "judging", I was merely stating my opinion on what I keep seeing on the forum. I understand that people have "stories" but when they apply for this job or any other job that says Canada it just baffles me that they would come on here and act surprised that they now need to move or go somewhere away from home to train. Again, this was not meant as an attack against anyone, I just feel that there are people on here (not you) that didn't really think everything through before they applied.
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:52 pm

scubachickie wrote:Just to clarify for you and I can only speak for me on the fourm, I have been posted 8 times from coast to coast ( which is fine that's what I signed onto)so don't confuse complaining with the fact that I myself would rather do training down the street then 4 provinces away! Just because I would rather spend each night with my 8 month old doesn't mean we don't a job! As for Canada on your shoulder trust me I know I've been shot and received serious injuries all with the word canada on my chest, but still not complaining...,.. So you shouldn't judge, everyone's stories are different and by no means am I looking for sympathy just expressing a common sense approach!!!!


This was NOT directed at anyone specifically and especially not at someone who I know has served the country. I apologise if it sounded like I was "judging", I was merely stating my opinion on what I keep seeing on the forum. I understand that people have "stories" but when they apply for this job or any other job that says Canada it just baffles me that they would come on here and act surprised that they now need to move or go somewhere away from home to train. Again, this was not meant as an attack against anyone, I just feel that there are people on here (not you) that didn't really think everything through before they applied.[/quote]

I agree there is a lot more than just having a job!!!

pontcanna
Rookie Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pontcanna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Melanie1 wrote:How long you been in the service? They have been running CTP for a long, long time.
They stopped and now running again.

No need to be testy. 30 years, 29 in Pacific Region if you're counting. Quite aware that it was done in Pacific for a long time (a bunch of us BC'ers wound up in Kingston instead of Mission back in the day and weren't best pleased).

pontcanna
Rookie Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby pontcanna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 pm

scubachickie wrote:They have applied to a NATIONAL law enforcement agency and that means they may be sent anywhere in Canada. Maybe it isn't clear enough on the shoulder flash but the word "Canada" is there, if someone is upset that they have to leave BC or Ontario or Quebec maybe they should have looked into a provincial or municipal agency.

Many of the postings are region specific, so for Pacific Region your geographical choice for recruits is Fraser Valley, meaning you'd pretty much never have to move to finish your career while living in Abby, Chwk, Mission or similar. Though I agree that there are some benefits to being outside one's comfort (home) zone when training.

User avatar
Floydie
Seasoned Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Floydie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 pm

scubachickie wrote:I have to say, all the people that whine about being away from family or having to go far away for training should probably re-think their career choices. They have applied to a NATIONAL law enforcement agency and that means they may be sent anywhere in Canada. Maybe it isn't clear enough on the shoulder flash but the word "Canada" is there, if someone is upset that they have to leave BC or Ontario or Quebec maybe they should have looked into a provincial or municipal agency.
Training away from home is probably the best thing that you can do. It allows you to focus on the training and bond with your class a lot better than if you were dealing with "home stuff" the entire time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I'm getting really tired of hearing people complain that they have to leave home. There are people waiting for a spot that will go anywhere, if that's not you, move aside and make room for people who want the job. :banghead:


:alright:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

MB_CVE
Veteran Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MB_CVE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

I would hate to be partnered with someone that speaks with such dissent... without any actual experience in CSC.

:ponder:
Subordinate.

User avatar
smarshall
Grand Poobah
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Pitt Meadows BC
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby smarshall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Depot has issues with staffing, they are rotating Block trainers in and out ,which cause problems with backfilling them. I know because they got desperate enough to ask this old dinosaur back. Yes there is a ctp that will happen in Pac Region, 3 former ctp Instructors have been assigned from their institutions.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby FedCO » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 pm

smarshall wrote:Depot has issues with staffing, they are rotating Block trainers in and out ,which cause problems with backfilling them. I know because they got desperate enough to ask this old dinosaur back. Yes there is a ctp that will happen in Pac Region, 3 former ctp Instructors have been assigned from their institutions.


Maybe if they paid cx3 more, they would have ppl who would relocate for the position. At current wage a cx3 would be tight living in Alberta.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 am

smarshall wrote:Depot has issues with staffing, they are rotating Block trainers in and out ,which cause problems with backfilling them. I know because they got desperate enough to ask this old dinosaur back. Yes there is a ctp that will happen in Pac Region, 3 former ctp Instructors have been assigned from their institutions.



They must be happy to go back.
I know talking to them back when they were offered depot none of them wanted Regina. But who would?
CX

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:27 am

Striker wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:[

How long you been in the service?
They have been running CTP for a long, long time.
They stopped and now running again.

He is a crusty old f**ker..been around since Angus L MacDonald was Prime Minister. :smirk:



Here I thought he wasn't at all. Never noticed him posting before.
Last time I was at the staff college in Abby the walls in the cafe are full of CTP pictures.
When I was on CTP a fellow recruit actually recognized his father from 20 odd years ago that went to CTP there.
CX


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot and 7 guests