Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
snow319
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Floydie88 wrote:
fatboy wrote:I spoke to a recruiter today, and he had told me that you can pick any facility you want to work at. You can apply in the prairie region, for example, and "rank" your choices, or even simply say, again for example, that you will only work at the drumheller pen, and that there is no problem with this whatsoever, and they will not place you somewhere you don't want to go.

Now, was this just a recruiter being a recruiter, or is there truth to this? It was my impression from this thread (which I haven't read in quite some time), that this was not a very likely way to get hired.

If so, my interest just went through the roof.

I never got that option...but I'm quite happy with the offer I was given :mrgreen:

Are you off to BC for training IN April, Sent you a PM

mob819
Rookie Member

Postby mob819 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi guys,

Anybody applied for Quebec province?
I heard the CTP3 could be on September 2014...

Thanks
Correctional Officer II
ERT/EIU Member
CSC - SCC

Cscapp2013
Rookie Member

Postby Cscapp2013 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:00 pm

mob819 wrote:Hi guys,

Anybody applied for Quebec province?
I heard the CTP3 could be on September 2014...

Thanks

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a long time now and decided to join because you guys give a lot of useful informations and wanted to join in to help a little bit if I can.

Now, to partially answer your question mob819 (if there is anybody out there with more informations, please join in on this)
For quebec, there's a lot of rumors going around as to when and where a ctp will occur, for now it's quiet as to 'real' infos but I heard the september rumour too and heard one for june 2014 as well, it's supposed to remain in laval but it's part of the plan to get everyone to depot at some point in the near future (near is relative as I'm hearing 2015 now)... We seem to have the same time frame though so we need to keep each other updated.

Interview : passed january 27th 2014
Psych test : waiting
Stage 1 : passed february 28th 2014
Medical : march 23rd 2014
Stage 2 & 3 : waiting
CX-1
CSC/SCC

mob819
Rookie Member

Postby mob819 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I am really happy to hear from someone involved into the process with the same time frame. I'll definitely keep you posted!
Thanks!
Correctional Officer II
ERT/EIU Member
CSC - SCC

Dav2013
Rookie Member

Postby Dav2013 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:12 pm

I also have just completed Stage 1 of the hiring process. From hereon out it is just a waiting game. Fingers crossed for all of you on this forum waiting for the call now and good luck!

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:54 pm

snow319 wrote:
FedCO wrote:
snow319 wrote:When you start as a new cx how much leave to you start with and when does it go up..... After 2,5, 10 years and what does it go to as your time in accumulates?
I also heard if your are comming from another govt agency you can transfer your years of service for leave purposes only!

Any truth to that....

Thanks

You start off at 120 hrs of Vacation a year,goes up to 160 hours in your 8th year. I forget the rest.
If you got military time, you can get that transfered over. I know people with less time in than I and got up to 160 hours a year due to military time. I think

any federal service time in can come over.

Is there any other benifit besides leave to bringing over time from anyone agency! Don't get me wrong the leave is great

You'll have more years of service toward your pension, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can retire earlier. If I bought back my Military time I'd still have to do 26 years service to get the "25 year" pension due to age, but I'd get a higher percentage due to having more years of service.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Floydie88 wrote:
FedCO wrote:You start off at 120 hrs of Vacation a year,goes up to 160 hours in your 8th year. I forget the rest.
If you got military time, you can get that transfered over. I know people with less time in than I and got up to 160 hours a year due to military time. I think any federal service time in can come over.

So does that work out to 5 days (120/24h) or would it be 10 (assuming you're on 12h shifts)?

As others have said it all depends on your schedule. I don't think anyone works exactly 12 our shifts, but a lot of jails across the country have different shift patterns. I always work 4 on 5 off (12.75 hour shifts). Other jails, especially in Ontario work a different pattern with lots of 2 or 3 days on and off and sometimes 7 off in their rotation (12.75 hours). I think Sask Pen still has a 4 on 3 off 4 on 7 off (12.75 hour shifts).

Chances are being new you'll be on some sort of 8 or 9 hour line being anywhere from 3 days to 6 days in a work week. At some jails the old boys prefer 8's so you could be on 12's right away.

So as you can see it really just depends on where you're posted and what shift pattern you're on.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

pontcanna
Rookie Member

Postby pontcanna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

snow319 wrote:I live 3 mins From the Kingston staff college which is still running Ctp, but I'm going to BC for mine with the cost of flights, hotel, meal! Makes no sence

Since when are they doing CTP in BC? Haven't heard of it at all.

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 am

pontcanna wrote:
snow319 wrote:I live 3 mins From the Kingston staff college which is still running Ctp, but I'm going to BC for mine with the cost of flights, hotel, meal! Makes no sence

Since page 513. At least that's when most of us heard about it. :)
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:24 am

BravoZulu wrote:As others have said it all depends on your schedule. I don't think anyone works exactly 12 our shifts, but a lot of jails across the country have different shift patterns. I always work 4 on 5 off (12.75 hour shifts). Other jails, especially in Ontario work a different pattern with lots of 2 or 3 days on and off and sometimes 7 off in their rotation (12.75 hours). I think Sask Pen still has a 4 on 3 off 4 on 7 off (12.75 hour shifts).

Chances are being new you'll be on some sort of 8 or 9 hour line being anywhere from 3 days to 6 days in a work week. At some jails the old boys prefer 8's so you could be on 12's right away.

So as you can see it really just depends on where you're posted and what shift pattern you're on.

BZ

Thanks BZ, makes sense :thumbsup:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 am

pontcanna wrote:

Ya there is a bunch if us going to BC for April 24th, I think it's going to abbotsford! That's the govt for you! I spoke with a regional director and they now say by 2015 it SHOULD. Be all out of depot or that's the hopes. I live in Kingston and I know there still running them at the staff college here

pontcanna
Rookie Member

Postby pontcanna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:44 am

Guess if you skip a week on BlueLine and don't click far enough back upon your return, you ask redundant questions :)

I have a friend on training who's going to sigh at having braved the cold winter thousands of miles away from family now that Chilliwack has appeared out of the woodwork. Is it a one-shot deal?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am

pontcanna wrote:Guess if you skip a week on BlueLine and don't click far enough back upon your return, you ask redundant questions :)

I have a friend on training who's going to sigh at having braved the cold winter thousands of miles away from family now that Chilliwack has appeared out of the woodwork. Is it a one-shot deal?

Take it!

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:47 pm

pontcanna wrote:

How long you been in the service?
They have been running CTP for a long, long time.
They stopped and now running again.
CX

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

I have to say, all the people that whine about being away from family or having to go far away for training should probably re-think their career choices. They have applied to a NATIONAL law enforcement agency and that means they may be sent anywhere in Canada. Maybe it isn't clear enough on the shoulder flash but the word "Canada" is there, if someone is upset that they have to leave BC or Ontario or Quebec maybe they should have looked into a provincial or municipal agency.
Training away from home is probably the best thing that you can do. It allows you to focus on the training and bond with your class a lot better than if you were dealing with "home stuff" the entire time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I'm getting really tired of hearing people complain that they have to leave home. There are people waiting for a spot that will go anywhere, if that's not you, move aside and make room for people who want the job. :banghead:
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".