Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
scubachickie
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby scubachickie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Amanda76 wrote:Hey all,

If anyone is flying in to Regina on March 31st I'm looking to maybe carpool to depot. PM me if interested. :)

You'll get an email a few weeks before your group is scheduled to arrive in Regina. It will tell everyone where to meet at the airport in order to share cabs into Depot from the airport. I was thinking the same thing for myself but it was all explained to me when HQ called about my travel arrangements.

J
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

eastcoastlife
Rookie Member

Postby eastcoastlife » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:53 am

D-Fry wrote:1. It is not a facility for higher education, even though some of people that work so treat it as such, it is an INSTITUTION not an institute!

2. Yes there are defiantly some positions that need to be filled (prerequisite is a crayon speed holster).

You'll have to forgive me on the spelling, sometimes auto fill serves it's purpose and sometimes, like in this case, it does not but I appreciate your eagerness in pointing out the mistake :) as for the crayon holster, just got mine last week ;)
Saskatchewan

Loganl
Rookie Member

Postby Loganl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello,

Long time stalker of the thread here. I just wanted to thank everyone for the abundance of information available in this thread. It has made my process much easier and bearable! I received my email for stage 3 training in Regina a couple of weeks ago. I start on April 2nd and will be working in Drumheller after graduation! I can't express how happy and excited I am! I look forward to my career in corrections and representing the uniform. Again, thank you!!

D-Fry
Rookie Member

Postby D-Fry » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:55 pm

eastcoastlife wrote:
D-Fry wrote:1. It is not a facility for higher education, even though some of people that work so treat it as such, it is an INSTITUTION not an institute!

2. Yes there are defiantly some positions that need to be filled (prerequisite is a crayon speed holster).

You'll have to forgive me on the spelling, sometimes auto fill serves it's purpose and sometimes, like in this case, it does not but I appreciate your eagerness in pointing out the mistake :) as for the crayon holster, just got mine last week ;)

No worries, I just didn't want you to be one of the people that start there with the wrong idea, believe me, there's plenty of those that work there already.
Now that you got the holster get some nice colouring books ;)
Suum Cuique

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Loganl wrote:Hello,

Long time stalker of the thread here. I just wanted to thank everyone for the abundance of information available in this thread. It has made my process much easier and bearable! I received my email for stage 3 training in Regina a couple of weeks ago. I start on April 2nd and will be working in Drumheller after graduation! I can't express how happy and excited I am! I look forward to my career in corrections and representing the uniform. Again, thank you!!

Congratulations! :D
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

eastcoastlife
Rookie Member

Postby eastcoastlife » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

D-Fry wrote:
eastcoastlife wrote:

No worries, I just didn't want you to be one of the people that start there with the wrong idea, believe me, there's plenty of those that work there already.
Now that you got the holster get some nice colouring books ;)

:alright: 8)
Saskatchewan

Loganl
Rookie Member

Postby Loganl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:48 pm

scubachickie wrote:
Loganl wrote:Hello,

Congratulations! :D

Thank you! :D

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Just wondering if you guys know, if and why the training at depot is 2 weeks longer than at the regions. I got my offer for one of the regions and a friend on mine is at depot now and it's a longer course?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:10 pm

snow319 wrote:Just wondering if you guys know, if and why the training at depot is 2 weeks longer than at the regions. I got my offer for one of the regions and a friend on mine is at depot now and it's a longer course?

It's better lol.

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:16 pm

FedCO wrote:
snow319 wrote:Just wondering if you guys know, if and why the training at depot is 2 weeks longer than at the regions. I got my offer for one of the regions and a friend on mine is at depot now and it's a longer course?

It's better lol.

We really need a "LIKE" button! HAHAHA!!!

I think it's because we do drill plus have a grad that includes dinner, family / visitors and a church service and I believe parade. Just a guess but there does seem to be "extra stuff" when you go through Depot.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 pm

scubachickie wrote:
FedCO wrote:

It's better lol.

I think it's because we do drill plus have a grad that includes dinner, family / visitors and a church service and I believe parade. Just a guess but there does seem to be "extra stuff" when you go through Depot.

5 years later and I still feel like I got short changed on core. I envy all you who get to attend Depot. Enjoy! Make us proud!

CLEO
Rookie Member

Postby CLEO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:13 am

reo77 wrote:Hi,

I have been following this thread for a very long time now and just decided to get an account to comment. I am wondering if anyone on here has recently applied or in the process for Primary Worker for the Ontario Region. When I applied, I specified the Ontario Region for work and they have now told me they are not curently hiring in this region after putting me through stage one. Does anyone have any hiring info for the Grand Valley Institution?

Interview, Fingerprints and Reference checks- October 2013
Stage One Completed- December 2013
Stage Two/Three- Invited for Edmonton PW but declined as I am now waiting in the pool for Ontario PW.

There could be a long wait for a spot at GVI... In fact, you probably won't see a lot of hiring in the Ontario region for a few years.

EllEss9
Rookie Member

Postby EllEss9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 am

Because there's alot of extra stuff thrown in that you don't do at regular staff colleges. Like drill practice! Have "fun"...it's quite the experience lol.

EllEss9
Rookie Member

Postby EllEss9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 am

scubachickie wrote:
FedCO wrote:

It's better lol.

LOTS of extra stuff!!