Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
scubachickie
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 am
Location: B.C.
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby scubachickie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:46 pm

greenfieldboy wrote:I just accepted my offer and off to Saskatoon for my CTP 3 April 9th
If successful off to the Atlantic Region CX-01

To all senior members of the thread thank you very much, the amount of information was excellent. To anyone who just discovered this thread take the time to read it over go back through all the pages and all the information is very useful. Believe me the hundered questions I wanted to ask were answered before I had time to ask them

Best of luck and look forward to working within CSC


Congratulations! :D
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

User avatar
D-Fry
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby D-Fry » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Q-Tip wrote:
bubbasarmy wrote:I got the email yesterday at 1600 hours for stage 2/3, training starting 9-4-14 in Saskatoon and then to Grande Cashe. I needed to reply by today at 0800 hours. 16 hours is just not enough time to get life organized, plan to sell a house and move a family 3600km, and not know any information as to what will happen after training.

to everyone that has received this email, did you only get a few hours to make the decision?

to the ones that took the offer, when you were finished training, did they assist you in finding housing and moving your family?

thanks for your time..


Some of the time-frames they expect you to hit are pretty tight. I have heard of the exact same situation you described (email at 1600hrs, expected reply by 0800hrs). There are many many hoops they will make you jump through like this.
In terms of the relocation...there isn't a lot of "assistance" from CSC.
When you're near the end of your training and things start becoming clear that you're not going to fail...you need to really get on the ball when relocation details. You're going to be busy with training, and have to juggle everything at once for setting up relocation details (moving company, house sales, new residence, etc, etc).
I've known people that heard nothing back from the CSC/Military moving company, and had to schedule their own moving company for their move (Still reimbursable under the $5000 relocation assistance). A week after relocating to their new destination, the CSC/Military moving company finally returned their call asking when they would like to get things started...Others have had no issues whatsoever with the same company.

This is the stage I am in right now, as my S/O is a week from graduation and we've barely had any contact with anyone for relocation details.
It is what it is...you learn to handle it just like you would any situation in this line of work...


It is always hit and miss with most moving companies. Just keep the stuff you need with you, I know people that waited for weeks to get their stuff.
Suum Cuique

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:39 pm

I have never moved with CSC but have had 8 military postings and my advice would be to keep on the relocation company because there doing CSC, Forces and RCMP and come the summer it becomes a busy posting season so they're busy…stay on them. Also if you only get 5000 from CSC I recommend to KEEP ALL YOUR RECIEPTS as many of your expenses above the 5000 can be claimed at tax time for relocating for employment purposes. Also with the relocation company you need to provide proof for everything……..this is just my experience form my 8 posting with the CF!!!!!

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Also a little tip that when moving make sure you take a small box with your passport, jewerly, and any valuables as I know they use reputable companies, but I have heard of many boxes go "MISSING" from friends of mine and it always seems to be the expensive items!!!!!

CmT2
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 pm
Location: MB
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby CmT2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

scubachickie wrote:
greenfieldboy wrote:I just accepted my offer and off to Saskatoon for my CTP 3 April 9th
If successful off to the Atlantic Region CX-01

To all senior members of the thread thank you very much, the amount of information was excellent. To anyone who just discovered this thread take the time to read it over go back through all the pages and all the information is very useful. Believe me the hundered questions I wanted to ask were answered before I had time to ask them

Best of luck and look forward to working within CSC


Congratulations! :D


By the way on the Graduation day do you get a Certificate after completing CTP stage 3?

Buddy1010
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Buddy1010 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

It has been almost 2 months since I have my interview with the psychologist, and still have no heard anything. Is this normal? Also is it once you get confirmation of everything that your placed in the national pool of candidates or am I already in that pool even though I'm still waiting for results?

dubzz24
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:07 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby dubzz24 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 pm

CmT2 wrote:
By the way on the Graduation day do you get a Certificate after completing CTP stage 3?



Yes, you receive a certificate on your graduation day.
CSC - Correctional Officer

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 pm

CmT2 wrote:
scubachickie wrote:
greenfieldboy wrote:I just accepted my offer and off to Saskatoon for my CTP 3 April 9th
If successful off to the Atlantic Region CX-01

To all senior members of the thread thank you very much, the amount of information was excellent. To anyone who just discovered this thread take the time to read it over go back through all the pages and all the information is very useful. Believe me the hundered questions I wanted to ask were answered before I had time to ask them

Best of luck and look forward to working within CSC


Congratulations! :D


By the way on the Graduation day do you get a Certificate after completing CTP stage 3?


yes, then u r real official!
Gaoler

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Well to All i say thanks as I also got my offer for CTP 3 and training will be in the pacific starting april 24!!!

Thanks again for all the advice

dubzz24
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:07 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby dubzz24 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:38 pm

snow319 wrote:Well to All i say thanks as I also got my offer for CTP 3 and training will be in the pacific starting april 24!!!

Thanks again for all the advice


I think you mean prairies? Saskatoon or Regina?
CSC - Correctional Officer

Buddy1010
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Buddy1010 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:43 pm

snow319 wrote:Well to All i say thanks as I also got my offer for CTP 3 and training will be in the pacific starting april 24!!!

Thanks again for all the advice



Congrats! What institution are you gonna be at after training?

snow319
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby snow319 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:01 pm

No I ment to say the pacific region is where the training will be and its for the parries starting 24 april!!!

User avatar
D-Fry
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby D-Fry » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:23 pm

snow319 wrote:No I ment to say the pacific region is where the training will be and its for the parries starting 24 april!!!

Congrats.
Suum Cuique

User avatar
magyar1987
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby magyar1987 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:49 pm

snow319 wrote:No I ment to say the pacific region is where the training will be and its for the parries starting 24 april!!!


Got my offer today as well! training in BC than back to Stony Mountain Institution. Its been a long time coming and i want to say thanks to everyone here for all the advice along the way. Im a happy guy today! ill see you there snow!.
Applied: Feb 2013
Written Test: Mar 2013 Passed
Interview: Aug 2013
Fingerprints: Aug 2013
References: Aug 2013
Medical: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 1: Sept 2013 Passed
Pysc: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 2 March 2013
stage 3 April 24 - July 3 PACIFIC REGION

Hired!

User avatar
magyar1987
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby magyar1987 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Is there anyone from winnipeg or surrounding area going for training in pacific from april 24 - july 3? im thinking of driving out there, might set up a car pool if anyone's interested. Or if you are along the way i could do pick ups as well.
Applied: Feb 2013
Written Test: Mar 2013 Passed
Interview: Aug 2013
Fingerprints: Aug 2013
References: Aug 2013
Medical: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 1: Sept 2013 Passed
Pysc: Sept 2013 Passed
Stage 2 March 2013
stage 3 April 24 - July 3 PACIFIC REGION

Hired!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Zepedder and 2 guests