Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
D-Fry
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby D-Fry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Z42A wrote:I'm amazed at the amount of information about the program that has already made it out, and even more amazed that it's reasonably accurate. Here are the answers to the questions I've received in the last 24 hours:

- Firearms - you do not need your PAL prior to training. It will neither enhance nor hinder the training provided. Even if you have 20 years in the military, you will be taught from ground zero, as CSC has different standards, and there's always a few people who haven't ever even touched a firearm in the class.

- Quarters - You'll be living in a dormitory style accommodations building, the same as the RCMP cadets. The walls do not reach the ceiling, and there is a curtain instead of a door. You'll have to learn to live with your classmates. The dorms are co-ed. The washrooms and showers are like at the YMCA or other gym, so unless you're very creative with scheduling showers, you'll be showering with your classmates (of the same gender, of course).

- Extra costs - Yes, there are extra monetary costs associated with going to Depot. You will have to pay for a membership to the Stand Easy (the Cadet bar, or "mess" on base), even if you never go there. You'll go, trust me. Refer to a previous post by EllEss9 for an idea of the things you can expect.

- Military experience - Yes, this will give you an advantage around the rules and procedures inherent with being at Depot. We use the CF drill pam, so you'll already be a step ahead there. Inspections are nowhere near as intense as either the RCMP or DND. Note- undress ribbons and medals will be worn with the uniform.

- Fitness - You'll have fitness classes scheduled during your training schedule, and will be expected to go to the gym on your own time, and keep a log of it. Start getting in shape now, not when you get there.

- Schedule - Due to the number of varied courses going on at Depot, we do not do training in blocks (ie. 10 days, 8 hrs a day for firearms). The training is spread out over the duration of the course. You'll come away with better skill retention, better rested, and better focus than the "traditional" method used at the other colleges.

- Food - the food is great. Much better than I ever got in 18 years in the military. I will continue to eat in the mess even after my house purchase is completed, because I can't eat as well or as much for the price they charge me. You, as a recruit, will be fed for free (much different than sandwiches every day for lunch for 9 weeks in Saskatoon).

- Schedule - due to the training schedule and the extra components, the course will run between 11 and 12 weeks on average.

- Mess dinner - yes, there is a formal, black tie mess dinner held 1 week prior to graduation. No, you don't need to buy a gown or rent a tux. You'll wear your ceremonial uniform. The only thing needed to add to that is a black bow tie. If you have one, bring it.

- Pay - No, you don't get paid for the duration of the course. I'm sorry, I know it sucks, and if I could change it I definitely would. That's far, far out of our hands however.

Matt Chinn
Staff Training Instructor
CSC Training Academy, Regina

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not disrespecting anybody’s honours and awards, but the whole undress ribbon thing on the work uniform is peculiar.
Why do we encourage people to wear undress ribbons on their work uniforms? Why would we show inmates what kind of "racks" we have?
This might be an extreme comparison, but we don’t wear badges on CAF cadpat; it makes you likely a higher value target for the enemy / inmates (in my opinion).
Suum Cuique

TheFNG
Rookie Member

Postby TheFNG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 pm

(much different than sandwiches every day for lunch for 9 weeks in Saskatoon).

Hey we get a fruit cup too.........its not all bad

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 am

In response to Suum Cuique:

The wearing of undress ribbons on your uniform, I'd like to be clear, is one of the "Depot specific" rules. There are a number of rules to do with dress and deportment during CTP which are different at Depot than they are at any of the Regional Staff Colleges. You're not expected to wear your ribbons in the penitentiary (though some choose to). At Depot, however, it is considered a part of your uniform, and you're expected to display them. You earned them, show them off a bit. The rule applies to the RCMP as well.

A few other "Depot Specific" dress regulations that are not expected at the institutions:

- Recruits with long hair must have it in a bun. Not a pony tail, not hanging loose, but in a bun. Complete with hair net, bobby pins, etc.
- when outdoors in uniform, you must wear an issued headdress. For recruits, that's either A) The CSC ball cap, 2) The "muskrat hat" winter hat, or C) the CSC issued toque. (Instructors wear the Kepi, or Forage Cap, from the ceremonial uniform with their work uniform. This is done only at Depot.)
- Recruits must wear a black T-shirt under their uniform shirt, with only the top button undone. Shirts must be pressed (we're not making you crease the long sleeves, but short sleeves must be), as well as uniform pants. Showing up looking like you stuffed your uniform in your pillowcase overnight may be acceptable in the institutions, but not in Depot. Yes, the official dress regulations allow for some variance in the buttons etc, but as recruits are not yet staff and not members of UCCO, they must follow the rules as set out for them. Staff at Depot must follow the same rules and set the example.

Oh, on a different note, to answer a question that came my way last night:
- Currently, the CTP training schedule has one new class starting each month in regina. There is one running right now, with the next to begin on 11 February. The third starts in March, and so on and so on. We will basically be running up to three classes at a time all year, up until december when it will fade down to only one class, graduating before the Christmas break. The cycle will then resume in January. Classes will consist of up to 32 recruits per class.

Matt Chinn
Staff Training Officer
Last edited by Z42A on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 am

Z42A wrote:In response to Suum Cuique:

The wearing of undress ribbons on your uniform, I'd like to be clear, is one of the "Depot specific" rules. There are a number of rules to do with dress and deportment during CTP which are different at Depot than they are at any of the Regional Staff Colleges. You're not expected to wear your ribbons in the penitentiary (though some choose to). At Depot, however, it is considered a part of your uniform, and you're expected to display them. You earned them, show them off a bit. The rule applies to the RCMP as well.

A few other "Depot Specific" dress regulations that are not expected at the institutions:

- Recruits with long hair must have it in a bun. Not a pony tail, not hanging loose, but in a bun. Complete with hair net, bobby pins, etc.
- when outdoors in uniform, you must wear an issued headdress. For recruits, that's either A) The CSC ball cap, 2) The "muskrat hat" winter hat, or C) the CSC issued toque. (Instructors wear the Kepi, or Forage Cap, from the ceremonial uniform. This is done only at Depot)
- Recruits must wear a black T-shirt under their uniform shirt, with only the top button undone. Shirts must be pressed (we're not making you crease the long sleeves, but short sleeves must be), as well as uniform pants. Showing up looking like you stuffed your uniform in your pillowcase overnight may be acceptable in the institutions, but not in Depot. Yes, the official dress regulations allow for some variance in the buttons etc, but as recruits are not yet staff and not members of UCCO, they must follow the rules as set out for them. Staff at Depot must follow the same rules and set the example.

All good stuff that should follow them to the institutions. You should always have a black undershirt on with one button undone.

D-Fry
Rookie Member

Postby D-Fry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 pm

I think we should wear the old forage cap with our work uniform, that would look sharp :alright:
Suum Cuique

D-Fry
Rookie Member

Postby D-Fry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

- when outdoors in uniform, you must wear an issued headdress. For recruits, that's either A) The CSC ball cap, 2) The "muskrat hat" winter hat, or C) the CSC issued toque. (Instructors wear the Kepi, or Forage Cap, from the ceremonial uniform with their work uniform. This is done only at Depot.)

- Currently, the CTP training schedule has one new class starting each month in regina. There is one running right now, with the next to begin on 11 February. The third starts in March, and so on and so on. We will basically be running up to three classes at a time all year, up until december when it will fade down to only one class, graduating before the Christmas break. The cycle will then resume in January. Classes will consist of up to 32 recruits per class.

Matt Chinn
Staff Training Officer

Hey Matt,

Any PW classes or PW heavy classes starting anytime soon? We at the receiving end out East are wondering.
Suum Cuique

swahili
Rookie Member

Postby swahili » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Matt Chinn
Staff Training Officer

Matt you are a God sent to most of us new guys trying to get a career. At least now I know what to expect when that invitation drops at my mailbox for PW. Thank you for all the good information.

Swahili

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 am

FedCO wrote:Awesome, you guys need to tell treasury board how its done. That locals not allowed to stay on base does set a bad vibe and i hope you guys can ratify that.

That's been a practice for courses or short time deployments in the CF for as long as I have been in (reserves almost 30 years). Even when I've worked at Cadet Summer Training Centres. If you live close by, that's where you are staying. So to me, it feels like it's a TB requirement.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 am

Matt,
In regards to head wear at Depot, are cadets permitted to wear their forage caps instead of a baseball cap, toque or muskrat hat or are they restricted to the 3 options? I think if the weather permitted it and you weren't at the gun range, it would look much more professional than a baseball cap or toque.
Last edited by scubachickie on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 am

D-Fry wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, I am not disrespecting anybody’s honours and awards, but the whole undress ribbon thing on the work uniform is peculiar.
Why do we encourage people to wear undress ribbons on their work uniforms? Why would we show inmates what kind of "racks" we have?
This might be an extreme comparison, but we don’t wear badges on CAF cadpat; it makes you likely a higher value target for the enemy / inmates (in my opinion).

At my institution, it's highly encouraged. And I was told in no uncertain terms my first day by one of the veteran officers. lol And for me, it hasn't had a negative effect. In fact, I've had some inmates give me respect because of it. You never know what goes on in these guy's heads.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 am

I don't know when the next PW course is running. All courses through Regina in the next 5 months or so are CX.

No, recruits cannot wear their forage caps with anything but the ceremonial uniform. This is the same with all CX across Canada. Regina is the only exception, where it is worn by the instructors to help identify them as sworn officers and Depot staff. You wouldn't wear them on the range at all, as ear defenders don't fit over them. (you have to wear ear plugs as well as ear defenders... The indoor range is LOUD)
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

scubachickie
Rookie Member

Postby scubachickie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Z42A wrote:I don't know when the next PW course is running. All courses through Regina in the next 5 months or so are CX.

No, recruits cannot wear their forage caps with anything but the ceremonial uniform. This is the same with all CX across Canada. Regina is the only exception, where it is worn by the instructors to help identify them as sworn officers and Depot staff. You wouldn't wear them on the range at all, as ear defenders don't fit over them. (you have to wear ear plugs as well as ear defenders... The indoor range is LOUD)

So happy to hear about all the upcoming CX troops going through Depot!!! As for the forage caps, that makes sense. I figured that the range would be an ear protection and baseball cap place. :pistols: :sniper:
"There are people that put their lives in harms way every day. It's not something they DO, it's something they ARE".

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Are they still running course at the regions, I was told that the regions will continue until 2015 then all out of depot?

Pegasus
Rookie Member

Postby Pegasus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Hopefully the standards of dress and deportment at instilled at Depot will follow the recruits to the Institution

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Pegasus wrote:Hopefully the standards of dress and deportment at instilled at Depot will follow the recruits to the Institution

So true but sadly cx at the joints will try to destory any professionalism as they feel threatened by how they don't got any professionalism. To all new recruits don't loose that feeling of professionalism, pride,etc. You will be tested at your new location.